Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: GV Mobile Headed Back to App Store

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default GV Mobile Headed Back to App Store

It looks like a Google Voice app banned from the App Store may be coming back under the new relaxed guidelines. Sean Kovacs, developer of the GV Mobile app, emailed Apple after the rules for app approval were posted yesterday, since none of the updated provisions applied to his app. Seems like he got a positive response: he tweeted that the app "will most likely get back in," and if all goes well, it will be available within a week.

GV Mobile, which has been on Cydia since the App Store banhammer dropped in 2009, ran afoul of Apple's unwritten rule against "duplicating features that the iPhone comes with," as Kovacs was told at the time. Kovacs went through the long list of over a hundred rules, and couldn't find anything that should disqualify GV Mobile. He emailed Apple to ask specifically, and got the go-ahead to resubmit. The new guidelines do not have any clear restriction against "duplicate functionality," though rule 8.3 ("Apps which appear confusingly similar to an existing Apple product or advertising theme will be rejected") could possibly be used as a reason to block the app. Kovacs also discovered that he couldn't resubmit under the same name, so it's possible that the app may be released as "GV Phone" or something, and people who purchased it before the ban will have to buy it again. Kovacs said he is working with Apple to correct the issue.

Obviously, Apple can block an app for any reason it wants or no reason at all; they have certainly done so in the past. The apparent new liberal attitude - being up-front about the rules, relaxing restrictions against cross-platform compilers, etc. - could be signs of a new good-guy approach from Apple, or it could just be their pre-emptive strike against looming federal investigations. Either way, it's hard to imagine they'd have even bothered if it wasn't for the presence of an alternative marketplace like Cydia.

Source: Cult of Mac

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

DisneyRicky (09-10-2010), MaxRabbit (09-10-2010), reaves205 (09-10-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

never used it and doubt i will but sounds like good news for the people who do. Great for the developer

I noticed the tweets last night... very excited! I'm a big fan of GV Mobile and it'd be great to have it in the App Store.

He also mentioned that it would be free for the first few days so previous users could get their hands on it. Keep a look out!
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

Sweet hope I dont have to buy it again though :/

this would be great
    Really?

SaaaWEEEETT

Twitter: @tshoults

8. The Following User Says Thank You to moon#pie For This Useful Post:

Stan3666 (09-10-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Riviera's Avatar
    Thanks

Nice! Finally. Can't wait to see them available. I use GV all the time and this is my secondary numbers which I give out to my banks, credit cards, some friends, even my employer.

My actual phone number is only for my family and close friends.

Thanks

Other than voicemail to text. Google voice is kind of useless. My friends use it to prank called me.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I use google voice as my business cell so I can forward my calls back to my biz or to my skype, sip account and the best feature is the do not disturb so I can completely separate myself from work and they can't reach me when I choose. Very nice tool for people like myself

big deal this app is all over the net,if you dont know where and how to get it for free than you should not jailbreak your phone. let's move on nothing to see here people.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zozodouce View Post
    big deal this app is all over the net,if you dont know where and how to get it for free than you should not jailbreak your phone. let's move on nothing to see here people.
    why don't you pay the hard working developers you pirate! move along!!!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mj0528 For This Useful Post:

MaxRabbit (09-10-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone MaxRabbit's Avatar
    Thanks

Awesome! I love Google Voice

iPhone? More like MyPhone back9player's Avatar
    Thanks

"Either way, it's hard to imagine they'd have even bothered if it wasn't for the presence of an alternative marketplace like Cydia."

never mind the fact that android is exploding all over the place and the pressure to compete...

The webapp from google works just as good....I don't understand why this is news.

Quote Originally Posted by JedixJarf View Post
    Sweet hope I dont have to buy it again though :/
    Read my previous post
    21.5" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 l 15" MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 l 17" PowerBook 1.67 GHz
    iPhone 4 32 GB l  TV 160 GB l 32 GB iPad

Just bought this last week on Cydia. Love the app. It would be nice to get on a mailing list so that paying users could be notified when it hits the AppStore.
    -J
    Last edited by miatawnt2b; 09-10-2010 at 01:07 PM.

Is there a way to block certain #'s from calling your Google Voice #?

He also tweeted that if its under a new name, day one will offer it for free hoping that all who already purchased it will get it on that day. I have it but I never used it much even though I have a GV account. It didn't always work perfectly and its difficult to get people to start calling you at a new number. It would be cool for better integration into the phone but you can only ask for so much.

Quote Originally Posted by tudtran View Post
    Other than voicemail to text. Google voice is kind of useless. My friends use it to prank called me.
    You're cool..
    Failure is not an option - iNyuke Dont be afraid to press the Thanks button! >>>>>>>>>>

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lolento View Post
    The webapp from google works just as good....I don't understand why this is news.
    the one from cydia actually gives you more control and much faster and smoother than the web app.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast