+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Posts App Review Guidelines For All to See

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer
    Thanks

Default Apple Posts App Review Guidelines For All to See

Apple on Thursday surprised everyone by finally publishing their App Store Review Guidelines. The seven-page document details in very direct terms how to get an app approved. Apple, in the past, has been very inconsistent in its approval process, almost mysterious at times. Many developers have complained, asking Apple for some clarity. With the release of this document, Apple has finally set some guidelines in stone (almost). The post stipulates that the approval process will have to evolve as time goes on, because technology produces unforeseen advances.

"This is a living document, and new apps presenting new questions may result in new rules at any time. Perhaps your app will trigger this," says Apple in their newly-released guidelines.

The document is made up of twelve sections outlining well over 100 guidelines. Most are short and to the point rules as to why an app might be rejected, but it also includes a few situations where exceptions might be allowed.

The App Review Guidelines text is really harsh at times even stating, “If your App looks like it was cobbled together in a few days, or you're trying to get your first practice App into the store to impress your friends, please brace yourself for rejection. We have lots of serious developers who don't want their quality Apps to be surrounded by amateur hour.” Ouch.

In the introduction to the App Store Review Guidelines, Apple makes a request of its developer community, urging them to use their creativity and talent to make the best apps possible:
    • We have lots of kids downloading lots of apps, and parental controls don't work unless the parents set them up (many don't). So know that we're keeping an eye out for the kids.
    • We have over 250,000 apps in the App Store. We don't need any more Fart apps. If your app doesn't do something useful or provide some form of lasting entertainment, it may not be accepted.
    • We will reject Apps for any content or behavior that we believe is over the line. What line, you ask? Well, as a Supreme Court Justice once said, "I'll know it when I see it". And we think that you will also know it when you cross it.
    • If your app is rejected, we have a Review Board that you can appeal to. If you run to the press and trash us, it never helps.
    • This is a living document, and new apps presenting new questions may result in new rules at any time. Perhaps your app will trigger this.
    “Lastly, we love this stuff too, and honor what you do. We're really trying our best to create the best platform in the world for you to express your talents and make a living too. If it sounds like we're control freaks, well, maybe it's because we're so committed to our users and making sure they have a quality experience with our products. Just like almost all of you are too.”

With the release of this document and the relaxing of developer rules today, I look forward to seeing what great new apps get approved. Now if they would only let Grooveshark back in, I’d be very happy indeed.

Source: AppleInsider

DJewell1
    Comment Removed..

Thanks

good to see apple taking a step in the right direction

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wiley John Wright View Post

“If your App looks like it was cobbled together in a few days, or you're trying to get your first practice App into the store to impress your friends, please brace yourself for rejection. We have lots of serious developers who don't want their quality Apps to be surrounded by amateur hour.” Ouch.
    Now THAT sounds like a challenge.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to raduga For This Useful Post:

Nelly998 (09-10-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Doran's Avatar
    Thanks

Sounds more like a butt hole bent on world domination...... Makes you wonder why "Pirates of Silicon Valley" isn't in iTunes. I got it from netflix to show my friends how crazy that man is..... But I do love his toys....
    Last edited by Doran; 09-10-2010 at 12:04 AM. Reason: I don't know how to spell "silicon"

Thanks
    Thanked 3,876 Times in 2,215 Posts

This could go either way but we might see some apps that we had to jailbreak for that now might make it to apples app store. Which could be good for some developers. Or this might cut down on new developers who are just trying to get the hang of things and can't get there app in the store because it's not exactly up to apples standards.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

Thanks

Well needed and about time, but a little stiffling on some of the stuff.

I'm curious about this one:

2.15 Apps larger than 20MB in size will not download over cellular networks (this is automatically prohibited by the App Store)
    Does this mean all GPS navigation software & maps will be rejected? Obviously no, unless Apple is retarted.
    "When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather did...not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car." -- Unknown

iPhone? More like MyPhone badass1469's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reddawg View Post

Does this mean all GPS navigation software & maps will be rejected? Obviously no, unless Apple is retarted.
    not rejected lol, it means they wont be apple to be downloaded via gprs, edge and 3G, only w-fi or itune would work. they dont mean actually rejected from the appstore lol
    damn drug dealers, and there jailbroken iPhones... ____ Hit the thanks if you think i suck

Livin the iPhone Life Bluemoldycheeze88's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reddawg View Post

no they need to be downloaded via WiFi or iTunes.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by badass1469 View Post
    not rejected lol, it means they wont be apple to be downloaded via gprs, edge and 3G, only w-fi or itune would work. they dont mean actually rejected from the appstore lol
    Yes, that makes logical sense and you are right. When I re-read the line I posted above, it does mention cellular networks. My bad, sorry guys.
    Last edited by reddawg; 09-10-2010 at 04:15 PM.
    "When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather did...not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car." -- Unknown

iPhone? More like MyPhone macsoldier's Avatar
    Thanks

To the point, this will keep useless apps from being developed, and they put it out as somewhat a challenge. Nice to see this happening.

Thanks

I think this sounds reasonable.
    Especially the part about only useful apps? I hated it when I saw 50 different stupid flashlight apps that all they were was a white screen, that takes no understanding or skill in coding.

Let's hope Apple sticks to this with no surprise rejections.

My iPhone is a Part of Me coolguy742's Avatar
    Thanks

At least Apple is finally being somewhat realistic in their process of rejecting/approving apps

Banned
    Thanks

Why not just set up an "independent app store" like Cydia and Rock where there is no approval process, just let people upload their apps and let the free market decide which apps are successful and which ones wind up in the garbage.

users can rank the apps., the higher ranking apps get listed at the top while lower ranking apps get listed and the bottom.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jOnGarrett View Post
    Why not just set up an "independent app store" like Cydia and Rock where there is no approval process, just let people upload their apps and let the free market decide which apps are successful and which ones wind up in the garbage.

users can rank the apps., the higher ranking apps get listed at the top while lower ranking apps get listed and the bottom.
    I like Apple's rules. A free market is good, but we also need guidelines. Cydia and Rock is all we need. They are prime examples of free market chaos. It takes too much time to find any small theme or app in Cydia. Don't even try to search in Cydia if you don't have a clue of the name of the app. Thankfully, Rock has a better categories setup, but it's still a pain to search for a particular item. It's too much garbage in there.

So basically let the Appstore do its thing and lets keep Rock/Cydia open to the free market. That's what they are for right? It's great to have alternatives. That's why I jailbreak.

Green Apple
    Thanks

As a new iOS developer, I like these rules in general. I don't plan on submitting apps until I know I am delivering a quality product, and when I do get to that point, and I have an app in the store, I don't want it buried by a bunch of new crap that nobody wants.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

about times.now some of these douche bag dev will go away and stop making garbage 1.99$ apps.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Damndude I'm so tired of reading people ***** about what apple will and won't allow in there AppStore.the reason apple keeps suck tight control over it's ios platform and what's allowed on it is because there trying to give every user the best and easiest experience using there products and if they just let who the **** ever post whatever app they wanted using any tools then there would be nothing but post from dumb *** people all over the Internet asking how to fix the phone because some jackass in Arabia made an app that bricks ur system . Apple maybe a little contoling but that's because they've learned that people are dumb and mess there stuff up whenever there's an opportunity to do so. If the AppStore was like cydia the iPhone would be near a dead platform cause I know I've bricked my phone several times and I know what I'm doing.there would be a lot of pissed of people with a lot of ****** up idevices. You also have to consider that with things like voip apps and wifi hotspot apps(tethering) there are allot of things apple won't let you do not because there against it but because AT&T would throw a ***** fit.

Ha that's ******* funny I didn't know the would bleep out my fan-*******-tactic cuss words. **** **** sass damn ***** **** ****
    Last edited by Stan3666; 09-10-2010 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

well my grooveshark still works that I got from the app store..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stan3666 View Post
    Damndude I'm so tired of reading people ***** about what apple will and won't allow in there AppStore.the reason apple keeps suck tight control over it's ios platform and what's allowed on it is because there trying to give every user the best and easiest experience using there products and if they just let who the **** ever post whatever app they wanted using any tools then there would be nothing but post from dumb *** people all over the Internet asking how to fix the phone because some jackass in Arabia made an app that bricks ur system . Apple maybe a little contoling but that's because they've learned that people are dumb and mess there stuff up whenever there's an opportunity to do so. If the AppStore was like cydia the iPhone would be near a dead platform cause I know I've bricked my phone several times and I know what I'm doing.there would be a lot of pissed of people with a lot of ****** up idevices. You also have to consider that with things like voip apps and wifi hotspot apps(tethering) there are allot of things apple won't let you do not because there against it but because AT&T would throw a ***** fit.

Ha that's ******* funny I didn't know the would bleep out my fan-*******-tactic cuss words. **** **** sass damn ***** **** ****
    GTFO!

I kinda like this new direction of the guidelines. We can finally stop having shovelware.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!