+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Finally Gives into Flash... Kinda... a Little

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Its seems the folks at Apple finally found that chill pill we had all hoped the company's executives would take at some point regarding Cupertino's strict, unrelenting, and, until now,
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,479 Times in 565 Posts

Default Apple Finally Gives into Flash... Kinda... a Little

Its seems the folks at Apple finally found that chill pill we had all hoped the company's executives would take at some point regarding Cupertino's strict, unrelenting, and, until now, less than malleable rules regarding Flash for iPhone, iPod, and iPad applications.

On Thursday, however, Apple took a step back in hopes of quieting down the masses who claim that Apple's harsh restrictions for developers are "anti-competitive." In a nutshell, Apple said today that it will allow for scenarios in which Adobe’s Flash video software will work on Apple’s products.

In particular, we are relaxing all restrictions on the development tools used to create iOS apps, as long as the resulting apps do not download any code. This should give developers the flexibility they want, while preserving the security we need.
    With regulators, media, and cynical consumers breathing down Apple's back relentlessly on the company's anti-Flash posturing, it doesn't come as a complete shock that Apple is - at least somewhat - relaxing its uptight no-Flash policy, while still propping up its "security concerns" as a fail-safe for ensuring that Flash doesn't see runaway, rampant growth on the iOS platform.

To read the full post from Apple, click here.
    Last edited by Michael Essany; 09-09-2010 at 10:35 AM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

apoc (09-09-2010), HavnFunHere (09-11-2010), reaves205 (09-09-2010), wirehedd (09-12-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Daerid's Avatar
    Thanks

Difficult to write flash apps w/o a player. But a positive step

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

Thanks

And with flash I can...?
    YouTube is the only
    Thing I need.

Sent from my iPod touch using ModMyi

Thanks

You don't even need it for YouTube anymore because they are starting to support the HTML5 embedded video tag using H.264. Personally, I was always fine with the fact that flash wasn't allowed, especially considering how bloated it really is. Resource whores ftl.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TsukiakariUsagi For This Useful Post:

creolesoul (09-09-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Yay Flash!! Now I can watch videos.. wait.. i could do that before and most other content worth watching is transcoded to HTML 5 or has an app for that. Now I can play Flash games... oh wait.. those suck. What is the benefit of this?

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Poseidon79 For This Useful Post:

GellBrake'rrrr (09-09-2010), GenesisDH (09-09-2010), HavnFunHere (09-11-2010), IndoMonkey (09-09-2010), iTouchNinjaz (09-20-2010), steelersfan32 (09-09-2010), stlcaddie (09-09-2010), Tyronal (09-09-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me klouud's Avatar
    Thanks

Hooray maybe we can use Hulu free now! Thats the only thing I use flash for since Facebook and YouTube made the jump to iPhone support.

Thanks

I think this is a hint that apple accepted skyfire.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PWNsyst3m For This Useful Post:

numanair (09-09-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,343 Times in 4,906 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Yay Flash!! Now I can watch videos.. wait.. i could do that before and most other content worth watching is transcoded to HTML 5 or has an app for that. Now I can play Flash games... oh wait.. those suck. What is the benefit of this?
    +1

Thanks

This has absolutely nothing to do with with the Flash web content. It is referring to the Flash IPA packager which was introduced with CS5 then quickly shut down by Apple. This news will allow Flash/Flex developers to publish apps build with Flash as long as they do not run arbitrary code within themselves.

Very poor written article. Not very clear to the average reader.
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cricketlang For This Useful Post:

aayushcool (09-10-2010), Dorkenstein909 (09-13-2010), TsukiakariUsagi (09-09-2010), Tyronal (09-09-2010)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

"Apple has changed its stance on third party developer tools for iOS apps"

they're not talking at all about Flash on the iPhone. Only about third party developer tools. They just reversed a decision they made earlier to go back to the way things were.this is likely just a response to the FTC investigating Apple and Apple wanting it to go away. They're not doing this for "openness" or out of the good of their hearts.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maytrac View Post
    hmmmm.. o.O
    You're an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by cricketlang View Post
    This has absolutely nothing to do with with the Flash web content. It is referring to the Flash IPA packager which was introduced with CS5 then quickly shut down by Apple. This news will allow Flash/Flex developers to publish apps build with Flash as long as they do not run arbitrary code within themselves.

He's new ! You can send pm's directly to him privately if that is a personal let down.

Good job on finding some news that eases flash for support. I think apple is letting that (small) portion viable to their products/updates isn't a good idea. I have flash my other Droid from Verizon and it crashes few times. I'd rather use support of html5.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Fail at comprehension of this news post...

And why are you so completely and utterly against this? All of your "flash on iOS" posts are basically calling people idiots for wanting this. Forget the fact that it's flash and simply recognize that Apple has been pressured to lift (even if just a little bit) it's Nazi grip on the platform by us, the people, and the government! All I can say is "more please" regardless of whether or not I will make use of this new change. We don't need Apple playing "netnanny" and telling us what is and isn't good for us...
    Last edited by sziklassy; 09-09-2010 at 11:47 AM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zozodouce View Post
    you are a bag of douche.
    Hammer time. Nuh nuh nuh uh uh nuh

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    Fail at comprehension of this news post...
    That orange does twist the story for the viewers lol.

iPhone? More like MyPhone hnic247's Avatar
    Thanks

I just want to watch videos without cloudbrowse..lol..that **** sucks..

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

you are lucky it's not a verizon iphone story today.we get one from him every two to four days hahahahaahhahahahaha...

21. The Following User Says Thank You to zozodouce For This Useful Post:

smoothcreak (09-10-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone NArush's Avatar
    Thanks

This is more political than it is about necessity. HTML5 is what Apple products should have - period. Trash, uh.. flash is indeed loaded with bugs and my preference is to keep away from it, but, with regulators, lawsuits and the ma$$e$ crying out, money wins out.

Thanks

agreed!

actually they are just allowing for other developer tools. rather than just xcode

Thanks

What is the deal with Apple. I want flash. Who give a **** about battery life?

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Apple -1, Developers +1

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tudtran View Post
    What is the deal with Apple. I want flash. Who give a **** about battery life?
    to each his own I guess? You must stay near a power supply and really REALLY want to watch crappy videos, 24/7 on a 3 inch screen. On another subject, what is up with the pic of some greased up abs?
    iPhone 4 to Android directly back to iPhone 4. I learned my lesson and will never leave iOS again.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to ShredNasty For This Useful Post:

Nelly998 (09-09-2010)