Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iOS 4.1 Out Today: "It's a Trap!"

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default iOS 4.1 Out Today: "It's a Trap!"

The Dev-Team blog posted a warning advising unlockers not to install iOS 4.1, amid a flurry of reports indicating that the update will be available starting later today. Apple's UK site had posted a notice over the weekend - since changed to read "Coming soon" - that 4.1 would be "available on 8 September," and the Spanish site had a similar announcement. Regardless of the specific date, though, the Dev-Team is advising in the strongest terms against an upgrade. “Today you’ll likely start seeing iTunes innocently offer you a new version of iOS…version 4.1," the Dev-Team Blog says. Under a video clip from Return of the Jedi, the post warns "Don’t accept it…it’s a trap!”

The team's warning is particularly directed at new iOS device owners, who may not have any experience with the jailbreak cat-and-mouse game. "Not everybody knows that accepting new iOS updates is the surest way to lose your jailbreak and/or unlock,” as the post says. In particular, the expected baseband update will break carrier unlocks: "while those of you who have Cydia or TinyUmbrella backups of your FW hashes will always be able to get back to 4.0.1 if you make this mistake, this doesn’t hold for unlockers… there’s currently no known way to revert your baseband — if you update your baseband you’ll lose the ultrasn0w unlock, possible [sic] forever.” However, due to a flaw in very early bootloaders, “a tiny number of iPhone 3G owners” will be able to revert their basebands… and you know who you are.

After the 4.0.2 update was released, the Dev-team posted an announcement that they wouldn't work on a jailbreak for tactical reasons, explaining that "if the cat & mouse game escalates too quickly, especially during beta FW periods, nobody but Apple benefits." As is usually the case, though, some users are anxious to have a jailbreak as soon as the new firmware is available. One user sent @comex a tweet asking about a "next week userland jailbreak," to which the Dev-Team hacker replied "there's no such thing." In reply to another tweet, @comex said "next jb might not come from me." This touched off a huge amount of commentary on blogs, leading @cdevwill to suggest with some exasperation that users "stop… speculating about the next jailbreak and just wait." Then, @p0sixninja shot back a sarcastic tweet saying "what do you mean? We all know the next JB will be from h0tb33fdev," which started another whole round of "CONFIRMED!" posts. To calm people down, @p0sixninja later had to explain that "h0tb33fdev is a fake fake group to make fun of all the other fake groups out there."

So, we're passing on the advice to just hang on and wait patiently (and not spam the Dev-Team members with tweets asking when the jailbreak will be available; we'll know as soon as it is) and, of course, making sure your SHSH blobs are backed up. Users are already reporting a slowdown on Cydia as 4.1 approaches.

Source: Dev-Team Blog
    Last edited by Paul Daniel Ash; 09-08-2010 at 10:31 AM.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

CaryDude (09-09-2010), louort3 (09-09-2010), rainman99 (09-08-2010), reaves205 (09-08-2010), sh33436 (09-08-2010), shahab86 (09-08-2010)

lol - I love the picture!!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to -=viper=- For This Useful Post:

primatee (09-09-2010)

Interesting... I just hope it works out cause i have my iPhone 4 just waiting

My iPhone is a Part of Me kadinh's Avatar
    Thanks

cant wait for JB on this so i can finally try the new method of restoring and doing it as a "new phone" so i can stop worrying about doing it wrong.

Thanks

Hurry up and back up your blobs!
    Took over a week for Cydia to acknowledge my SHSH blobs.
    I know Saurik is still overrun with jailbreakme SHSH's. So the sooner the better!

check out the attached twit below and see if that preserves your baseband..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_1061.png  

Just got my iphone 4 last week and I am patiently waiting for the JB.

Store your blobs locally too!

Formerly Known As rpgpromaster EddieLeonard's Avatar
    Thanks

i updated to the GM... is that bad??? i dont need a unlock
    Follow me on Twitter: EddieLeonard - - - - - - - -If i have helped in anyway at all, Please click the "Thanks!" button
    Stalk me on FaceBook: Eddie Leonard

I just hope to see a new version of UltraSn0w or we f**ked..

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

Hey Steve, you look great in that picture...
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App

Backed up my SHSH (again)! Yesterday...especially with the new baseband protection in TinyUmbrella (I need and use the unlock on my iPhone 4).

I just loooove this cat 'n' mouse we enjoy with Apple...wonder if any other platform has half as much fun??

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

What's going to happen with the people with new iPhones with iOS 4.0.2 that don't have their SHSH saved and can't downgrade to iOS 4.0.1? Are they going to stay in limbo?
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App

Quote Originally Posted by javiert30 View Post
    What's going to happen with the people with new iPhones with iOS 4.0.2 that don't have their SHSH saved and can't downgrade to iOS 4.0.1? Are they going to stay in limbo?

I'm sure they'll be fine when the jailbreak/ unlock for 4.1 is released...whenever that is...The DevTeam lives on!!!

Ok, so what exactly will 4.1 do besides add some ridiculous "social gaming network", and lockup (jail) our phones? "Screw you apple...I don't need no stinking game network"!!!
    Do what you can when you can, Why Wait?

i probably will end up updating and loosing my jb for 4.1. i'm so sick and tired of the bluetooth issues and the general bugginess of 4.01

I'll live without mywi for a few weeks

Quote Originally Posted by ihaveabu View Post
    i probably will end up updating and loosing my jb for 4.1. i'm so sick and tired of the bluetooth issues and the general bugginess of 4.01

I'll live without mywi for a few weeks
    NEVER...that's crazy talk
    Do what you can when you can, Why Wait?

Quote Originally Posted by javiert30 View Post
    Not if they get a kick from dev team!

Livin the iPhone Life iNT3Rv3NTiONZz's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm patiently waiting to jb my i4, I hope it comes out nxt week sometime

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi

iPhone4 16gb black - 4.1 Limera1ned
    iPhone 3G 16gb white - 3.1.2 jailbroken
    Blackra1ned
    THANKYOU ONCE AGAIN GEOHOT!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Is iOS 4.1 supposed to make the iPhone 3G quicker? I thought I had heard something about that but I'm not sure.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast