+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Game Center Not Compatible With iPhone 3G

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer
    Thanks

Default Game Center Not Compatible With iPhone 3G

When Apple releases iOS 4.1 later this week, Game Center finally will be made available to the public. Apple previewed Game Center last April, and now is set to release it to most iOS devices. Unfortunately, not everyone will be able to enjoy this new app.

If you have a first-generation iPhone, iPhone 3G or first-generation iPod Touch, you are sadly out of luck. Fortunately, Apple has posted a compatibility chart outlining which devices will work with Game Center:

Apple originally planned on supporting all iOS 4 compatible devices during its initial beta testing, but they removed iPhone 3G and second-generation iPod Touch support soon after. Now it seems that Apple has decided second-generation iPod Touch will in fact support Game Center in its forthcoming release of iOS 4.1.

Game Center is a social networking app designed to make it easier for gamers to connect on their iOS devices. Gamers will be able to find other players, invite them to multiplayer games, and then post high scores on leaderboards. Some iOS games will have to be updated to take advantage of these new features.

Epic Games, best known for their Unreal franchise, recently release Citadel for iOS 4. It was released as a demo to showcase the technical capabilities of their Unreal Engine on iOS devices. Now that Game Center is about to be released I hope Epic Games finishes this title soon. I canít wait to challenge my brother-in-law in Phoenix, AZ to a deathmatch, iPhone to iPhone. It will be great posting my wins on the leaderboard for all to see. May the best man win!

Apple is expected to release iOS 4.1 with Game Center as early as tomorrow.

Source: AppleInsider

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wiley John Wright For This Useful Post:

Dirtymoney (09-08-2010), Nigua2 (09-08-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

that sucks..

4. The Following User Says Thank You to steven0123 For This Useful Post:

Dirtymoney (09-08-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    For people that are wondering, the second gen iPod Touch is still included because its processor isn't underclocked as much as the iPhone 3G, 532MHz versus 412MHz.

What's Jailbreak? UnoriginalUsername's Avatar
    Thanks
    Ugh the 3G is always the red headed stepchild of Apple devices.

Thanks

Im tired of apple trying to push the iphone 4 on us im perfectly happy with my old iphone and dont see the need to have to buy the new one!! always saying that its not compatible BULL they just want us to buy the newest device!

Thanks

Isn't it kind of obvious since the 2g and the iPT1 aren't getting 4.1

Also, has the 3G gotten gamecentre in the betas?

Sent from my iPod touch using ModMyi
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Why would this be surprising? The 3G is two years old. They want you to upgrade to the latest. Anyone that has a 3G should be eligible for sure. Next year it will be the 3GS. Can't say I really blame Apple. Every time I have to do any thing to my daughter's 3G it drives me crazy, it's so slow.
    If I can't mod it...I don't want it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by D4VID4F View Post
    Im tired of apple trying to push the iphone 4 on us im perfectly happy with my old iphone and dont see the need to have to buy the new one!! always saying that its not compatible BULL they just want us to buy the newest device!
    so buy it
    killall Terminal[]

11. The Following User Says Thank You to rhekt For This Useful Post:

Retell (09-08-2010)

Thanks

The reason that they are keeping support for the ipt2g is because not as many people upgrade there iPod touches to the latest model.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cokeman View Post
    Why would this be surprising? The 3G is two years old. They want you to upgrade to the latest. Anyone that has a 3G should be eligible for sure. Next year it will be the 3GS. Can't say I really blame Apple. Every time I have to do any thing to my daughter's 3G it drives me crazy, it's so slow.
    Not true, in most countries we use 3 year contracts. So many people with the 3G aren't eligible for an upgrade

iPhone? More like MyPhone Funked's Avatar
    Thanks

Lame, yet another reason why I can't wait to get my iPhone 4 though.

iPad 2 16GB Wifi iOS 5.0.1 - Absinthe
    iPhone 4S 16GB iOS 5.0.1 - Absinthe

Livin the iPhone Life Bluemoldycheeze88's Avatar
    Thanks

can't wait till I get my iphone 4... apple and their crap.

Thanks

this is so ***. i got my iphone 3g last christmas and dont have an upgrade til august. they lie about everything!! first the iphone 3g cant have multitasking (jb proves that wrong) and now we can't have this. apple sucks..

17. The Following User Says Thank You to dustin942000 For This Useful Post:

evileclipse (09-07-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Antman217's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow that sucks but hopefully there will be a way to enable it through jailreaking.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,751 Times in 869 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by D4VID4F View Post
    Yeah, that's kind of messed up. Looking at the specs, the iPod Touch 2g has the same internals as the iPhone 3g. So we know it can 'handle' it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cokeman View Post
    After theming on the 3GS and seeing how fast the resprings were, I noticed how incredibly slow my iPod Touch was. Opening programs was a breeze on the 3GS, and even Cydia loaded way, way faster. The A4 chip and 512mb RAM on the iPhone 4 must fly!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Lol @ everyone who sticks to the sluggish iPhone 3G. You should have sold it when it was still worth something.
    I'm MYAATT DAAAMOOON!!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

^ ignant.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to HomieG35 For This Useful Post:

eclipticrider (09-07-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rhekt View Post
    so buy it
    Maybe he doesn't want to be locked into a contract for another two years. Also, in the real world (and not fanboi-land) the 3G is still a kicka$$ phone.
    Quaerite et invenietis.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amadomon For This Useful Post:

DevouredDreams (09-07-2010), redwolf (09-07-2010)

Thanks

And this is why I freaking stopped using the iPhone... too many limitations... Honestly this is some ole' bs. You get me to pay $500 for your product and ohh... all a sudden you don't support it anymore...??? Please buy our newer products......damn ya'll make a killing on the suckers (no offense to anyone here) that just have to have the new toy... your game got old apple and I am done with ya...

Sorry people, I just had to vent with this one... I hope ya understand.
    Never underestimate the determination of a kid who is time rich and cash poor. (Little Brother by Cory Doctorow)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eclipticrider View Post
    You get me to pay $500 for your product and ohh... all a sudden you don't support it anymore...??? Please buy our newer products......

Not arguing but just pointing out that many tech companies do this type of stuff.