+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Microsoft Steps Up PR Push for Windows Phone 7

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Some of the biggest battles ahead in the smartphone space could very well take place between the iPhone and the upcoming Windows Phone 7. Late last week, Microsoft unveiled what's
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Microsoft Steps Up PR Push for Windows Phone 7

Some of the biggest battles ahead in the smartphone space could very well take place between the iPhone and the upcoming Windows Phone 7.

Late last week, Microsoft unveiled what's being called the first official taste of the soon-to-be released Windows-based smartphone. For now, the ad in question hasn't been broadcast on television, but rather it has turned up on the official Windows Phone UK YouTube channel. At first, however, few thought the ad was really created by Microsoft, given its less than high-budget look and feel.

The video, posted above, was obviously inspired by the famous opening sequence of the classic film "Lawrence of Arabia." The ad first appeared on London on Friday during a "secret-cinema" event. But while the teaser ad has proven intriguing to some, others - more sophisticated smartphone aficionados - are miffed that the spot doesn't really say anything about the actual device - it's attributes and strengths relative to similar devices.

Then again, sometimes style prevails over substance in the mobile world, at least in terms of effective advertising. And although Apple knows a thing or two about hyping its products, Microsoft isn't about to go quietly into the night with the launch of Windows Phone 7. With it's release rapidly approaching, there are reports indicating that Microsoft may spend upwards of one-half billion on marketing efforts for the new handset alone.

Business Insider

Green Apple
    Thanks

I want one, or two

Thanks
    What to expect from Win7? battery will die faster! frozen screen after 7 days of uses!reinstall win 7! you hate your phone after One month Max!!!!

My iPhone is a Part of Me klouud's Avatar
    Thanks

Windows... why would I want to take a headache everywhere I go? I just freed myself for Windows... why would I want to torture myself again?

I think this phone will do about as good as the Zune... don't Bill's kids have iPods?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I want a Kin...ha!

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

We dont know yet, we got to see, the thing is maybe now Steve are going to pay more attention to the death grip problem, now the people got something else to choose. Maybe more headache, maybe not, we can not judge it for his reputation yet, lets see what he got.

But for sure its not going to be an iPhone killer...
    Last edited by javiert30; 09-07-2010 at 12:33 PM.
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

From what I have seen online, this thing looks really really disorganized and confusing. I don't think it looks too great either. I am an iPhone user and an iPhone lover, but always open to new things, but from what I have seen around the Windows7 phone is nothing to write home about. Just OS looks plain awkward.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyperextension View Post
    From what I have seen online, this thing looks really really disorganized and confusing. I don't think it looks too great either. I am an iPhone user and an iPhone lover, but always open to new things, but from what I have seen around the Windows7 phone is nothing to write home about. Just OS looks plain awkward.
    I think it looks absolutely gorgeous and the fact that you can get information on the home screen without having to enter an app is a huge plus. Ontop of that it has a centralized notification system so no blue popups for wp7 users.

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

It's about time Microsoft!! Just like any good sports rivalries.... There no good if one team sucks (that team would be Microsoft as of late), Hopefully Microsoft will release something awesome and the best tech rivalry will begin again! It only means better products for all of us!
    El Zurdo

Thanks

Haha I hope that's the real ad, spending 3/4 of the whole thing just bringing the phone into focus, then showing 2 seconds of an actual screen.
    And half-billion?? Man they must be pretty confident in this.

But hey maybe we'll finally have a phone with BSOD haha

Thanks

To state an old Wendy's commericial, Where's the beef? A two second preview of the user interface. Man, those are big ugly icons. It's worse than a Blackberry.
    "When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather did...not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car." -- Unknown

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

Yes, I had to press pause to see how it looks like...
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App

My iPhone is a Part of Me tudtran's Avatar
    Thanks

I totally forgot about windows mobile

OS X - excellent enough to put on phones LGgeek's Avatar
    Thanks

So is the browser built into the OS so you can have the same security you have on their desktop version? if this sells well we should start marketing the bridge in the Florida swamp land.
    I don't drink kool-Aid, I don't join cults.
    This is why I break out in cold sweat going to Apple retail store.

Thanks

Looks incredibly blah. I've heard people jocking the Xbox Live thingy, but uhhh. Does it run Modern Warfare 2, have a couch, and a 46" led PLUS a real controller? Oh, it doesn't? Then I don't give a sh*t about Xbox Live on my phone. I don't care about my gamerscore or any of that crap. When was the last time Windows made a good mobile OS? Wait, any good OS? Maybe the 217th time is a charm? Not gonna lie, it would be VERY sick if their OS and mobile OS matched seamlessly and added a user friendly music and gaming experience, but for this gen they're about 5 years late to the game. Maybe 5 years from now? ALOT of firing needs to happen though.....

Thanks

I hope it is the iphone killer. If not I hope something comes soon. That way apple wont have a monopoly anymore. Competition is the best thing for consumers. More competition equals lower prices and greater innovations.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Death grip is not a problem if there was really an antenna issue apple would have done a recall of the iPhone 4 and there will never be an iPhone killer

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Wow, there are some serious fanboys on these forums... lol. I think the WP7 phone will be a great addition to the smartphone market and I would expect all semi-intelligent people to see that. Not only does it have great end user experiences like Xbox Live and Zune built in, but it has excellent tools for developers. Building apps in managed C# will be much faster than the current objective C, or C++, for iPhone and a better IDE in my opinion(Visual Studio). That's not even taking the already awesome XNA framework into account.I do believe we will see amazing things on WP7 and I hope people can have an open mind and leave the childish BSOD jokes in the 90's where they belong. I would just like to say that I have a MBP and it has its problems too!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

It might be good but I don't know... I don't see windows doing very well with smartphones but who knows they didn't tell us anything in that horrible ad. Really that has to be one of the worst ads I've seen in a long time. They could have just put up the last 5 seconds and given us the same preview.

It probably won't do very well just because it doesn't have the app store. The iphone won't be anywhere near killed(for lack of a better word) until someone else has a halfway decent app store to compete with it. Android would be much better if it didn't have such a small(compared to the iphone) app store.

I can see business men switching to it because I'm sure it will have the normal microsoft office things like excel and word. Lets face it the iphone isn't really a business phone. It would be nice to have excel and word on the go for someone who does everything last minute. Blackberry will probably take a bigger hit than apple on the windows phone release.

Death grip is not a problem if there was really an antenna issue apple would have done a recall of the iPhone 4 and there will never be an iPhone killer
    I don't get it. Why did you put it on this news story and why are you still talking about it? I'm pretty sure everyone else already got over it.
    Last edited by robertr1; 09-07-2010 at 04:26 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by goldenchildrose View Post
    There is so much stupidity in this post that I just had to point it out.

Anyway, Windows Mobile 7 is suffering from the same stupid decisions Apple made in the early stages of their device, (no multitasking, no cut/copy/paste) here's to hoping they eventually get it right, and at a faster pace than Apple.
    Running:
    iPhone 4 4.0 Jailbreakme
    iPad Wifi 3.2 jailbreakme
    AT&T