Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iOS Now 3rd Most Popular Internet Platform

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default iOS Now 3rd Most Popular Internet Platform

iOS is the third most-used operating system on the internet, according to a NetApplications report published today. The "Global Market Share Statistics" study showed that browsers powered by iOS made up 1.13 percent of the total last month, edging all flavors of Linux - the former number three - which accounted for only 0.85 percent and blowing away Android-based browsers which had just a 0.2 percent share.

Vince Vizzaccaro, vice president of Net Applications, said that "it's something to take note of when a mobile operating system passes something that's been around forever," referring to Linux which came out almost 20 years ago. "Mobile is becoming quite a phenomenon on the Internet," Vizzaccaro observed, noting the 2.6 percent of all internet traffic accounted for by mobile devices. "That's massive when you think about it," he said.

The big dog is still Windows, with all versions accounting for 91.34 percent. The second-place holder, Mac OS X, declined somewhat to an even 5.00 percent, less than any variant of Windows, with Windows 7 at 15.87 percent, Vista at 14 percent and the venerable XP still holding strong at 60.89 percent.

The number of iOS devices out there has been growing rapidly, with Steve Jobs claiming at Wednesday's event that the company is "activating 230,000 iOS devices a day." Clearly referring to Google's claims of 200,000 activations per day, Jobs said that "we think some of our friends are counting upgrades in their numbers." A Google spokesman objected to this, telling Fortune that "the Android activation numbers do not include upgrades and are, in fact, only a portion of the Android devices in the market since we only include devices that have Google services."

Source: Computerworld

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

reaves205 (09-03-2010), veskodimov (09-05-2010)

It's only going to get bigger with ramping up again on iPad and as new markets open with iPhone. Imagine what's going to happen when Verizon gets iPhone.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by natim View Post
    It's only going to get bigger with ramping up again on iPad and as new markets open with iPhone. Imagine what's going to happen when Verizon gets iPhone.
    Even if its a rumor, there be alot of people who are willing to change to verizon; mass internet chaos

Livin the iPhone Life iNT3Rv3NTiONZz's Avatar
    Thanks

Lol how come verizon so popular? I'm from England so I don't have a clue

iPhone4 16gb black - 4.1 Limera1ned
    iPhone 3G 16gb white - 3.1.2 jailbroken
    Blackra1ned
    THANKYOU ONCE AGAIN GEOHOT!

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxxyBoii2K10 View Post
    Lol how come verizon so popular? I'm from England so I don't have a clue
    cuz nobody can have it yet.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Trooper Sam's Avatar
    Thanks

Verizon is pretty much acknowledged to have a better coverage footprint in the continental US. That, and everybody wants to complain about a dropped call here and there on AT&T.

Some people have a genuine gripe with AT&T, as these subscribers have poor coverage around their homes and workplaces.

Of course, that's why you get up to 30 days in most places in the US to try the service out, and cancel if it doesn't work for you. Some people decide to stay because they adore the iPhone too much to take it back, and then they complain about the service.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trooper Sam For This Useful Post:

Andre8521 (09-03-2010), The_13th_Plague (09-04-2010)

Thanks

Wow.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to tudtran For This Useful Post:

Aliquippakid (09-03-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone macsoldier's Avatar
    Thanks

just going to keep getting stronger and stronger.

Haha finally broke 1% big achievement!

Yay! Now were on pace to catch up to Windows in a few hundred years
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper Sam View Post
    Verizon is pretty much acknowledged to have a better coverage footprint in the continental US. That, and everybody wants to complain about a dropped call here and there on AT&T.

Some people have a genuine gripe with AT&T, as these subscribers have poor coverage around their homes and workplaces.

Of course, that's why you get up to 30 days in most places in the US to try the service out, and cancel if it doesn't work for you. Some people decide to stay because they adore the iPhone too much to take it back, and then they complain about the service.
    Perhaps someone has already covered in the past but there's a very distinct issue with AT&T regarding signal strength, dropped calls and so on. About 6 months ago, i accidentally found out that if you call ATT customer service and as for the "save department" you can indeed get the microcell for FREE. I went through this process and now i consistently have 5 bars at my location. I basically told ATT they needed to provide me with the service I was already paying for and I shouldn't have to pay anything for service I was already paying for. Please note for this to work you have to insist and tell them you are considering moving to another provider if they can't. Ask them to make a note in your account then go to your local ATT retail store, not a reseller, they can look up the notes and in about 10 minutes you will be walking out the door with your new FREE microcell. Hope this helps.

iPhone? More like MyPhone back9player's Avatar
    Thanks

how come android isn't mentioned in this survey?

Quote Originally Posted by back9player View Post
    how come android isn't mentioned in this survey?
    Because its about devices that people actually use.

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

"the Android activation numbers do not include upgrades and are, in fact, only a portion of the Android devices in the market since we only include devices that have Google services."
    The really pathetic part of this story (on Google's behalf) is that the last sentence reflects how Android was brought to market for only one purpose: to make Google more ubiquitous in more markets, but many Chinese (domestic) devices use Android without a single Google service.

iPhone? More like MyPhone back9player's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Forgoten Dynasty View Post
    Because its about devices that people actually use.
    wow, you're an idiot.

Android Vs. iPhone iOS: Latest Numbers Says Android OS Rules the SmartPhones

^ its all opinion based

Linux? Whats that? Is it like Android?

Livin the iPhone Life iNT3Rv3NTiONZz's Avatar
    Thanks

@mindgem are you serious? It's only one of the biggest operating systems in other words it's like windows or mac os, but it's free. It's also really good with servers and the like

Livin the iPhone Life Bluemoldycheeze88's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow bigger then Linux, I wonder if the California Lottery will use iOS now instead of Linux.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

@Trooper Sam- thanks for that simple response especially in view of and regarding the idiotic complaints of some over AT&Ts service.
    If you wanted the IPhone so bad- then u acceptedthe service it comes with! You wanted better service - then try out all the providers that are in ur area an see which suffices ur needs- do not complain about what you were givens chance to opt out of!
    What a world we live in....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast