+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Death Grip Fixed: Mexican Carrier Exec

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
An interesting bit of news filtered into the US tech blogosphere through a report in the Mexican media: according to an executive at one of Mexico's two iPhone/iPad carriers ,
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Death Grip Fixed: Mexican Carrier Exec

An interesting bit of news filtered into the US tech blogosphere through a report in the Mexican media: according to an executive at one of Mexico's two iPhone/iPad carriers, a new iPhone 4 model may be released as soon as the end of this month to fix the so-called Death Grip issue. Though the report is unconfirmed, and may represent mere speculation rather than true inside information, the news has been making the rounds of blogs like AppleInsider and MacRumors.

Marco Quatorze, director of value added services at Mexico's largest carrier Telcel told the Spanish-language site CanalMX that after September 30, iPhone 4 handsets sold by his company will not suffer from the antenna problem. Telcel customers who buy an iPhone 4 before September 30 will get the current model. As a result, they'll need a protective case or bumper to minimize the problem of dropped calls and poor signal strength, and will be given an option to switch to a revised model, he said.

Why September 30? Quatorze didn't explain why that particular date was given, but that is the day the iPhone 4 case program expires. The temporary nature of the program did suggest to many that Apple would have a fix in place by the time it ended, though Apple's never publicly asserted that, saying only that they'd reassess the program at the end of the period. Requests for comment have gotten no response from Apple as of this writing.

Source: AppleInsider

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

LEVMAN (08-31-2010), reaves205 (09-01-2010)

Thanks

i like that ppl have a choice 2 get the revised model hope that happens every where

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by plcrules View Post
    i like that ppl have a choice 2 get the revised model hope that happens every where
    at what cost? i don't think they just going to let everyone in the world change the phone for free.

Thanks
    they better let us change it for free..they sold us a damaged product.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to HeLLaxGoOd For This Useful Post:

redwolf (09-05-2010)

Thanks

This I believe is true after talking with apple tech support about problem with my 3GS. I told him about how much I wanted to upgrade to an iphone 4 but I was waiting for apple to work out the bugs and he then told me that late September when the apple releases the white iphone 4 all so called death grip issues will be addressed. He then told me that if I hold out till october he can guarantee that I will get a problem free iPhone 4.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default I hope so too
    I would like for that to happen as well, but I wouldn't hold my breath. I always get my idevices on release date as they can never keep up to demand. My iPhone 4 was horrible but somewhat better after I got my bumper but seamed more unstable (the reception) after 4.01. Here's dreaming I'll get a revised one without reception problems...please, please, please. I like the stainless steel band & hate to cover it up cause Apple fudged up

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zozodouce View Post
    at what cost? i don't think they just going to let everyone in the world change the phone for free.
    Yeah the rest of us are stuck using their abortion while everyone else gets the real deal. It'd be nice to have paid for a flawless item from Apple. Dreams are only dreams I guess...

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pistolxwhipped View Post
    they better let us change it for free..they sold us a damaged product.
    Which they offered you the option to return within 30 days for a full refund. This means they have no obligation to replace your phone for free.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

A replacement might be nice, but I have valuable SHSHs on file for this iPhone 4, not the replacement.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I'd venture to guess that a current jailbreakable/unlockable iP4 with SHSH files for 4.0.1 is more valuable than the unjailbreakable/unlockable 4.1 with this fix (if it were true).

Well, until a 4.1 JB is released.

Livin the iPhone Life iNT3Rv3NTiONZz's Avatar
    Thanks

I ordered my iPhone today from Vodafone, will I have the option to upgrade to the "revised" model? I'm still eligible for a free bumper off apple.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Anyone thinking Apple is going to accept trade in's from people who bought there iPhone 4 in June, July or August is deluding themselves. If you bought it in the 30 days prior, they'll let you trade it in. If you didn't? Enjoy your free bumper! LMAO.

This is going to be like the price cut on the original iPhone all over again. The early adopters will act like jilted lovers and a storm of protest will ensue. But all the outrage won't change a thing and next year those same folks will be clamoring for the iPhone 5.

C'est la vie.

iPhone? More like MyPhone macsoldier's Avatar
    Thanks

wow exchange hmmm

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I doubt we all get free revised iPhone 4's

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

We shall see
    Last edited by RICO_; 08-31-2010 at 05:42 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm pretty much SOL on getting any replacement from Apple. I bought mine from some random dude on craigslist. Guess I'll just have to buy the newer model whenever it comes out.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Free revised iPhone 4s for everyone? That's essentially the same thing as a recall.....without actually calling it a recall. But if you're exchanging your current defective phone for a revised and fixed iPhone 4 without the antenna issue.....that sure sounds like a silent recall to me.

Thanks

Not gonna happen...

Green Apple
    Thanks

Well my iPhone 4 that I got like 3 weeks ago works perfectly fine. However, if apple agrees to switch out people's phones then I'm sure they will take it for a few minutes to make sure something is actually wrong with it and you just aren't trying to get a new model for the hell of it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bouzo's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jiggyjae View Post
    Well my iPhone 4 that I got like 3 weeks ago works perfectly fine. However, if apple agrees to switch out people's phones then I'm sure they will take it for a few minutes to make sure something is actually wrong with it and you just aren't trying to get a new model for the hell of it.
    There is something wrong with ALL of them. I have been through 4 iPhone 4's (YES 4) plus my fiance's and they ALL have death grip syndrome in my home. You can blab to me all you want that my home may be in a weak area but it ain't and my iPhone 3G doesn't think so either.

If you are using yours in a solid/strong area like downtown of any major city you won't see the effects of the death grip, but if you venture into a suburb, or smaller city, rest assured, you can replicate the death grip.

If this news is true, I will not accept anything less than a replacement from apple.

And regarding the 30 day policy, I tried to return my 3rd one at 23 days and they refused me because mine is a subsidized phone through FIDO and their policy is 15 days.