Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 135

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: AT&T Stores identify & reject unlocked or bricked returns

  1. #101
    Default Can they tell I have an Unlocked IPhone. . .
    Ok, I did NOT upgrade to 1.1.1 and am not having any problems with my unlocked (IUnlock) 1.0.2 IPhone, however, I am wondering what if I do have a problem and need service...how does Apple (Genius tell)? My IMEI numbers match (back of phone and onscreen). So if I put a T-Mobile working SIM in and remove any 3rd party apps. . .can they really determine it is unlocked or will they simply:
    1. Check the provider in the upper left
    2. Check for matching IMEI numbers
    In which case mine will pass. . .or is their another method?

    thanks

  2. #102
    Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Kyle Matthews's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Tampa, Florida, United States
    Posts
    8,481
    Thanks
    570
    Thanked 4,807 Times in 1,227 Posts

    A T-Mobile SIM will not work, no.
    .


    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

  3. #103
    Moderator / DRP Dev Team jedinight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    c.s. texas
    Posts
    969
    Thanks
    49
    Thanked 113 Times in 89 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by jordan310 View Post
    Read my post on Nate Trues site. =)
    I got a brand new phone after the brick incident by simply doing 3 things.

    1. Place brick securely in microwave oven.
    2. Turn dial to high, and cook the phone for about 2 1/2 secs.
    3. Repeating step 2. Until my Jedi sense told me enough was enough.

    This effectively fried some resistors, and a bit of smoke exited the iPhone speaker holes but left the phone in tact.

    In fact, it booted, showed the plug into iTunes screen, and when taken to the Apple store, they could even try to force the update onto the phone via manual method. Unfortunately, my microwave set to "popcorn" model was too good for the Apple cops.

    The update created an error, would not complete, and gave all KINDS of error codes. Causing the "genius" at the "genius bar" to say .. "Ok wow, I'm not sure what all these error messages are, but at least I can tell your not one of those guys who altered their phone".

    Hahaha. Gave me a replacement on the spot. Will be more careful next time.
    now thats thinking hahahahahahahaha...but it worked!!!!lolol suckers

  4. #104
    Quote Originally Posted by acrafton View Post
    Ok, I did NOT upgrade to 1.1.1 and am not having any problems with my unlocked (IUnlock) 1.0.2 IPhone, however, I am wondering what if I do have a problem and need service...how does Apple (Genius tell)? My IMEI numbers match (back of phone and onscreen). So if I put a T-Mobile working SIM in and remove any 3rd party apps. . .can they really determine it is unlocked or will they simply:
    1. Check the provider in the upper left
    2. Check for matching IMEI numbers
    In which case mine will pass. . .or is their another method?

    thanks
    I took mine in yesterday and while looking at my iPhone in the need the correct sim state they some how pulled upped the IMEI and the ICCID. It was pretty cool. I wish I know how they did it. Anyway I was able to get my Semi bricked iPhone replaced because I was a AT&T customer and had the 2yr contract. I told them that I took the iPhone to a AT&T store and refuse to give me a new sim and they told me to go the the apple store because we don't deal with Apple crap. When the genius heard this he called someone and told them what I had said. He went into the back and brought me a new iPhone which I will have to take back because of so many dead pixels (like 45). But anyway that my experience at the Apple store.

  5. #105
    I have read all the posts but am still unsure about if updating the firmware on a iphone that only has been jailbroken, ssh installed and apptap. I don't want to run the risk of bricking my phone...anyone else had any luck with the update...otherwise I am going to wait a bit untill the dev team has something....

  6. #106
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclotron_burst View Post
    I have read all the posts but am still unsure about if updating the firmware on a iphone that only has been jailbroken, ssh installed and apptap. I don't want to run the risk of bricking my phone...anyone else had any luck with the update...otherwise I am going to wait a bit untill the dev team has something....
    Just do a restore and update and you should be fine. The ones like me who unlocked their iPhone's are the ones that will or have had problems because of the mod baseband.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to XFaega For This Useful Post:

    cyclotron_burst (09-30-2007)

  8. #107
    Sorry - meant to say put in a working ATT SIM. . .

  9. #108
    Cool Enough already
    never mind
    Last edited by imstill@g; 09-30-2007 at 04:46 PM.

  10. #109
    I had AppTapp and tons of apps and themes installed and have had no problem installing 1.1.1, although I did do a restore along with the process. I am not terribly adventuresome and using an older PPC iMac. I was thrilled to be able to customize my iPhone, but am shy about even going back to 1.0.2!

    Still, if you are worried about the update on a locked iPhone modded with AppTapp, I hope my experience is useful. Hope this is close to the topic!

  11. #110
    Green Apple CALBUILD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Riverside, California
    Posts
    85
    Thanks
    68
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    That is exactly what should be happening.
    And they shouldnt be breaking our phones anyway...
    Buy a new car, hop up the motor, sure your warranty is no good, but when you take it in for a oil change they dont intentionaly blow up the engine!

    Quote Originally Posted by ToutSuite View Post
    My thought is Apple should treat the iPhone as what it is - a handheld PC which runs a streamlined version of OS X. If you sent in a MacBook which refused to boot after you installed some third party software, Apple wouldn't say, "Sorry, you violated your warranty." They'd probably say, "Either you can contact the authors of the software for a fix, or we can reset your laptop to factory specs. You'll lose some data, but for sure it will be booting up when you get it back."

    Why not take the same approach with the iPhone? If you bring it in and it's giving the SIM error, offer to flash it back to factory specs for you. If it was jailbroken, it won't be anymore, and of course it will be locked to ATT again. They don't examine the phone or waste anytime, they just flash it to a "new" condition, if that's what the customer wants (the customer is welcome to keep their bricked phone if they prefer, and hope the Dev Team comes up with a fix).

    To me, this satisfies Apple's reluctance to support third party development, satisfies their contract with AT&T, and lets people who bought iPhones continue to use them, at least as far as originally intended by Apple.

    Plus it's not an exchange, it's just a reset of the existing phone.
    That is exactly what should be happening.
    And they shouldnt be breaking our phones anyway...
    Buy a new car, hop up the motor, sure your warranty is no good, but when you take it in for a oil change they dont intentionaly blow up the engine!

    Quote Originally Posted by iphoneroeth View Post
    of course it was intentional, they even announced it before.
    they failed to mention it at the update option...
    I hadnt heard anything about it when i updated the 2nd day i owned the phone.....void warranty cool, intentionaly destroy product..not cool!
    Last edited by CALBUILD; 09-30-2007 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  12. #111
    Default Let me get this straight...
    Quote Originally Posted by jjgsxr883 View Post
    now thats thinking hahahahahahahaha...but it worked!!!!lolol suckers
    You modded your phone, you then updated when told by everbody on this board (INCLUDING APPLE) that the update could fark up your phone, you did it anyway and it bricked.

    So you m-waved your phone, got a new one and THEY'RE the suckers?


    Christ, if there was EVER is an example of the ENTITLEMENT generation, this tool would be it.

    You sure showed them! You conned some honest workers and were able to get out of something you did on your own accord.

    I see a life of public assistance and lawsuit settlement checks in your future champ.
    The Cake Is A LIE!

  13. #112
    I poted this on another thread so I'll drop it herre.

    I Didnt do the update, and midday friday during regular use, my iphone bricked on me. The came the black screen.

    I rebooted it to find I had no wifi or signal.

    All on 1.0.2

    Now explain that. LOL.

    Took it to the apple store and they said becaus I put any 3rd party app on the unit (not because I unlocked it) they couldnt do anything for me and all I could do was buy a new one.

    Tsk Tsk Tsk Apple. This will come back to bite you HARD in the A.....

  14. #113
    Quote Originally Posted by DoerrFan View Post
    Just go to an an Apple store and say its a goPhone, they can't tell, and all the goPhone ones are bricking as well.
    mine is in perfect working order, and it's a gophone.
    Best Regards

  15. #114
    i tried to get a replacement today. tehy couldn't boot up my phone but the phone showed up as never registered. so they wont give me a replacement and referred me to goto another store. . but, if i do get it exchanged, can they find out and charge me? .... i told them it was never activated cause i left it in my room and then asked why i would buy it and not activate it. and if there were any mods. i simply said, im not sure. its not mine.


    since they can't boot it up, can they detect it in anyway?
    they asked to see my sim card... which i dont have. and they got very suspicious ..(can they do the activation for me? because i was fine using it with t-mobile.


    and it wasnt the mods doing harm, it was the charger! they said ipod chargers worked and i plugged it in and it got really hot and the speakers just started to sound like static. then, i would lose reception during docking or charging. thats not even fair, they told me i could use i pod chargers and i did and it ended up bricking my 400 dollar phone?!
    Last edited by yoitsme_1; 09-30-2007 at 07:46 PM.

  16. #115
    Quote Originally Posted by yoitsme_1 View Post
    i tried to get a replacement today. tehy couldn't boot up my phone but the phone showed up as never registered. so they wont give me a replacement and referred me to goto another store. . but, if i do get it exchanged, can they find out and charge me? .... i told them it was never activated cause i left it in my room and then asked why i would buy it and not activate it. and if there were any mods. i simply said, im not sure. its not mine.


    since they can't boot it up, can they detect it in anyway?
    they asked to see my sim card... which i dont have. and they got very suspicious ..(can they do the activation for me? because i was fine using it with t-mobile.


    and it wasnt the mods doing harm, it was the charger! they said ipod chargers worked and i plugged it in and it got really hot and the speakers just started to sound like static. then, i would lose reception during docking or charging. thats not even fair, they told me i could use i pod chargers and i did and it ended up bricking my 400 dollar phone?!
    Ok, you're insane right?

    This is basic 'product return 101' stuff...
    1.) you don't say 'It's not mine' when you return something!
    2.) if they ask you if you modded it, you say no of course not - THE PHONE DOESN'T WORK! (I mean, hello? You haven't even activated it right?)
    3.) when they ask you where the sim card is you say 'oh, I must've left it at home... but the problem isn't with the sim card... I took it out when it wouldn't boot up. I've brought it in to YOU for service or replacement - please help me because it doesn't work!" Then tell them you'll just take the new/replaced phone and put your sim in it yourself.

    If that doesn't work at a retail Apple Store, go to the Apple website and use Apple Care. The phone has a 1-year warranty - just tell them that it won't even turn on or activate. Don't ask for a loaner phone b/c you don't even have an AT&T sim. Apple Care will ship you an empty box to put the broken phone in and ship it off.

    A few days later you'll receive a reconditioned/new iPhone. Your original phone that they get at Apple Care will be wiped and reconditioned for someone else.

    Lather. Rinse. Repeat if necessary.

  17. #116
    Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Kyle Matthews's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Tampa, Florida, United States
    Posts
    8,481
    Thanks
    570
    Thanked 4,807 Times in 1,227 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by editwizard View Post
    Lather. Rinse. Repeat if necessary.
    this part is crucial to a successful customer service transaction.
    .


    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

  18. #117
    Moderator / DRP Dev Team jedinight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    c.s. texas
    Posts
    969
    Thanks
    49
    Thanked 113 Times in 89 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
    You modded your phone, you then updated when told by everbody on this board (INCLUDING APPLE) that the update could fark up your phone, you did it anyway and it bricked.

    So you m-waved your phone, got a new one and THEY'RE the suckers?


    Christ, if there was EVER is an example of the ENTITLEMENT generation, this tool would be it.

    You sure showed them! You conned some honest workers and were able to get out of something you did on your own accord.

    I see a life of public assistance and lawsuit settlement checks in your future champ.
    dude your XXX and cant read a forum i was talking about the guy who put in iphone in microwave

    Quote Originally Posted by jjgsxr883 View Post
    dude your XXX and cant read a forum i was talking about the guy who put in iphone in microwave
    and i have zero bricks in my house

    and if you where refering to the post that i was taliking about than you should have quoted him
    Last edited by jedinight; 10-01-2007 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  19. #118
    Does anyone know anyone who works in an AT&T store?
    Iphone Love... I dreamed of a iphone before it was out..

  20. #119
    Retired Moderator DoerrFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    2,291
    Thanks
    143
    Thanked 461 Times in 229 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by yowiphone View Post
    Does anyone know anyone who works in an AT&T store?
    God i wish. but no all my friends work at the T-Mobile booth instead

  21. #120
    Quote Originally Posted by DoerrFan View Post
    God i wish. but no all my friends work at the T-Mobile booth instead
    oh ok but i wonder what happens to all those broken iphones.

    If you know someone who works in a AT&T store then your in luck. Unfortunately i dont.
    Last edited by yowiphone; 10-01-2007 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Iphone Love... I dreamed of a iphone before it was out..

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •