Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T Stores identify & reject unlocked or bricked returns

i have a quick question for anyone here...

since i have jailbreaked my iphone, i would have to do a restore when i update...correct?

my actual question is, if i do the update, will it clear my sim too, meaning my contacts etc...?

Quote Originally Posted by DeusInvictus7 View Post
    i have a quick question for anyone here...

since i have jailbreaked my iphone, i would have to do a restore when i update...correct?

my actual question is, if i do the update, will it clear my sim too, meaning my contacts etc...?
    contacts are not on the sim, they are stored on the phone
    Really?

Quote Originally Posted by eg6motion View Post
    contacts are not on the sim, they are stored on the phone
    oh ok...that makes sense actually...

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eddiehart View Post
    If any of you, desperatly need to return/exchange your phone
    LET ME KNOW
    I have two friends that work at at&t, ones a manager, and ones an employee.
    I asked them both if I had friends that bricked theyre phones, and they said they would simply return it saying "the phone just crapped out"

PM me if you need assistance, I'll be more than happy to assist.
    The only problem with that is at&t does not exchange iphones. Only apple does exchanges. It would have to be returned, and another one would have to be purhcased....so have the funds available

iPhone? More like MyPhone antiflash's Avatar
    Thanks

...just relax and don't update...the dev team and thousands of other iphone'rs are in the same boat. nobody wants a ($400) brick...it's just a matter of time before they release another jailbreak app or better yet, apptapp installer. they are all focusing in on 2 things now: apptapp and 1.1.1 unlock...it's a much more focused effort and will be worked through that much faster...no biggie, the devs rock!
    Black 16GB 3G iPhone w/bestskinever
    Q6600, 3GB RAM, Vista Ultimate Desktop Box
    2 Hands, 10 Fingers, etc
    Temporary Eee PC Portable

rumor has it that iTunes 7.3.1.3 can restore your jacked iphone to normal.

mine didn't brick, but if someone has the nice paperweight, give it a shot
    Last edited by dan.vdub; 09-29-2007 at 05:00 PM.

Default I don't believe it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Larkin View Post
    Fine. If you can't handle my responding to the whiners on your board, go ahead, kick me off. Its easy, just delete my presence and its done.

You are the one who needs start acting in a manner similar to an editor in chief. Your board is drawing complainers and victims, which would never hear from me if you would not filter them out.

All for ending both my posts and the complainers post. So there it is .... no more from me UNLESS YOU DONT DO YOUR JOB TOO AND ASK THEM TO STOP POSTING THE CRY BABY STUFF.

Are you up to it?

You're the type of person who would find another way to be similarly annoying and self-righteous.

I love your last sentence "Are you up to it?" Like you're a force or intellect to be reckoned with.

If you want to know who needs to grow up, simply look at the man in the mirror.
    The Cake Is A LIE!

Thanks

Guys, i wouldn't go to the store, they really will not care how much you beg, there not going to replace your phone. If you got a brick, its your own fault, and the only thing you can do is just wait until the Dev's come up with something.

Not true.

I had a brick where the IMEI shown in the software and etched matched, and had it replaced by a Genius. So, *shrug*.
    [r a y n e]

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DoerrFan View Post
    Guys, i wouldn't go to the store, they really will not care how much you beg, there not going to replace your phone. If you got a brick, its your own fault, and the only thing you can do is just wait until the Dev's come up with something.
    That's nice.

I went to the store with my bricked phone and told them 1.1.1 bricked it but it wasn't unlocked.

I DID NOT ASK THEM FOR A REPLACEMENT. I asked them to try to fix it. They tried restoring in iTunes twice, then he started typing on the computer, went into the back, came back out and said "We don't have any 4G models in stock, so we'll have to order you one."

and I was like wait a minute.. I thought you were gonna repair it.. they said they were going to replace the phone.

The phone showed slight signs of being opened up (the back silver metal piece was bent a bit towards the top right.. it wouldn't seal back perfectly somehow).. I mean that could mean it was banged up, but it would have to have been dropped at least to do that.

So I said 1.1.1 bricked my phone, it showed signs of being opened up, and yet I got my phone replaced.

and no I didn't get lucky, i have done this a lot of times with iPods before.

One time with my iPod Video I actually formatted the HD with fdisk and f'd everything up and then took it in and told them it was broken, they replaced it. (I did this because my screen was all scratched up, ie. their "sleeve" doesn't protect worth crap and there were no cases at the time of purchase, thanks to Jobs super secrecy about everything)..

Now, yes I know PF meant AT&T stores but I dunno what you meant.

Ultimately there is nothing they can do but refuse to replace the phone.

I've even forced them to replace $2400 v1.0 15" Macbook Pros because they were defective over and over, and they even let me replace it with a v1.5 17" $2700 model by paying the difference, but the manager had to get involved. (needless to say I still have the 17" MBP today and it works great......)

and this was ALL while being very kind while asking for it, not yelling or being a jerk or anything.

They want to please their customers, trust me. Just try it, worst thing they can do is say no.

note: I didn't lie about it not being unlocked. I had tried to unlock it and something messed up in the process, my phone froze, and I lost wi-fi, and then iTunes bricked the phone when I tried to restore it. it wasn't 1.1.1 but iTunes did brick the phone, as far as I'm concerned.. i merely had it semi-bricked and it coudl still have been fixed, but I didn'thave the knowledge then to do it. It did have tons of third party apps, but heh.. They didn't ask and I didn't tell.
    Last edited by hillie; 09-29-2007 at 07:34 PM.
    <madrussian> in russia, you dont remove installer.app, it removes you!

Talking iknow how
    dude just turn of iphone turn on then whensilver apple logo comes out press hold and main menue buton untell itunes sybole comes out then take sim cardfrom top with tootpick and on itunes restore then when done but sim in and you have oringinal IMEI

if u did the update on accident is there ne way to go back to the old firmware or mod with the new firmware?

if u did the update on accident is there ne way to go back to the old firmware or mod with the new firmware
    Last edited by fredo712; 09-29-2007 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone zoidberg md's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fredo712 View Post
    if u did the update on accident is there ne way to go back to the old firmware or mod with the new firmware?

if u did the update on accident is there ne way to go back to the old firmware or mod with the new firmware
    seriously............. Have you actually read even 1 post on this forum?

Quote Originally Posted by cristian03000e View Post
    dude just turn of iphone turn on then whensilver apple logo comes out press hold and main menue buton untell itunes sybole comes out then take sim cardfrom top with tootpick and on itunes restore then when done but sim in and you have oringinal IMEI
    I did this before you posted it, so I'll confirm this DOES work. Before hand my IMEI was different which didnt even make me wanna try a return.

I walked into the Apple Store, showed them the issue, and walked out with a new one.

Take a shot people.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Conquest3.0 For This Useful Post:

cristian03000e (09-30-2007)

Could you guys re explain how to restore my oringinal IMEI, the other post is not clear.
    Thanks.

Thanks

This does work, Just turn off the phone, take out the SIM card, turn it on, and when its done put it back in. Give it a shot people, just try your best not to let them turn the phone off and on again cause then it changes back

Read my post on Nate Trues site. =)
    I got a brand new phone after the brick incident by simply doing 3 things.

1. Place brick securely in microwave oven.
    2. Turn dial to high, and cook the phone for about 2 1/2 secs.
    3. Repeating step 2. Until my Jedi sense told me enough was enough.

This effectively fried some resistors, and a bit of smoke exited the iPhone speaker holes but left the phone in tact.

In fact, it booted, showed the plug into iTunes screen, and when taken to the Apple store, they could even try to force the update onto the phone via manual method. Unfortunately, my microwave set to "popcorn" model was too good for the Apple cops.

The update created an error, would not complete, and gave all KINDS of error codes. Causing the "genius" at the "genius bar" to say .. "Ok wow, I'm not sure what all these error messages are, but at least I can tell your not one of those guys who altered their phone".

Hahaha. Gave me a replacement on the spot. Will be more careful next time.

my iphone just died..it wont turn on cause it gets hot during charge (after I used my ipod charger with it) . the phone is completely dead and refuses to turn on. is tehre anyway way they can check that i unlocked it? and wont i need to provide a number for them to look into my account? i dont have a ATT number so im basically just screwed?
    Last edited by yoitsme_1; 09-30-2007 at 03:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Conquest3.0 View Post
    I did this before you posted it, so I'll confirm this DOES work. Before hand my IMEI was different which didnt even make me wanna try a return.

I walked into the Apple Store, showed them the issue, and walked out with a new one.

Take a shot people.
    for comquest 3.0 which apple store did you go to

Thanks

what about intentional destruction?
    voided warranty not so bad....they destroy(brick) phone with update...
    that sounds illegal and grounds for suit!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast