+ Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: MiTime Enables FaceTime on Unsupported Carriers

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by RGee Lol if I'm correct in order to use FaceTime you must have wifi on so how is it going be slow? this application all it does
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RGee View Post
    Lol if I'm correct in order to use FaceTime you must have wifi on so how is it going be slow?
    this application all it does it's activate FaceTime for unofficial carriers

no once it's activated it won't sent international texts as I said above FaceTime works on wifi
    so no need to worry bout that
    what i dont understand is, if facetime works over wifi why does it matter on which carrier u r on?
    secondly, cant we just use 3g unrestrictor and use factime over edge/3g on any carrier we like?
    plus, since use of skype on fring was blocked, does fring now allow to make facetime calls to skype users?
    thanx.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tudtran View Post
    T mobile is slow. FaceTime is gonna be slow.
    Have you used it? Or are you just guessing at the quality through no practical testing?

I have used it.

In case you don't get what FaceTime is, it's video chatting over a Wi-Fi connection.

It works smooth as silk for me.

Quote Originally Posted by javiert30 View Post
    I think if you dont have a data plan with Tmobile you can use it with WIFI anyways, Am I correct?
    I don't have a data plan and it works for me.

Do you people not get that FaceTime was designed to work over Wi-Fi?
    Last edited by exNavy; 08-27-2010 at 06:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

Good!!!!
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App

iPhone? More like MyPhone hapishyguy's Avatar
    Thanks

ok. but whats the story with the "international text message." Why do we need to have international text messages?

I have the tab of "facetime" in my phone to "ON" When I turn it off and turn in on again it gives a popup message that "Video Calls - You carried may charge for SMS messages used to activate video calling." I have TMobile on unlocked iPhone4 and Jailbroken. So does it mean that I can use facetime now? OR I have to install the MiTime in order for it to work. Will face time work on regular "edge" on tmobile after I install MiTime? I have already installed My3g and MyWi. Thanks
    Last edited by hapishyguy; 08-27-2010 at 07:41 AM. Reason: More Info

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Is it me...?

..or is it dumb to put black tape over your camera for the facetime clip after your face is showing up all over the reflection of the iphone screen.

...anyway, this is awesome for people without crappy AT&T service (aka) the mobile phone communists working hand-in-hand with Apple's dictatorship. AT&T should change their logo to a picture of Fidel Castro and Apple to Kim Jong-il.

Don;t mind me I hate when people try to control you and think they can set stupid rules that do nothing but prevent our mental and technological freedoms. I'm a firm believer that if I buy a product I should be able to use it the way it was built free from restrictions. These guys are all about the money. They care too much about how the consumer wants to use the product because it prevents more $ for entering their pockets after purchase.

Ugh anyway. It's Friday!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Hey guys i got facetime to show on my call screen, without paying the 5 bucks. but i havent try it out yet since i dont know anyone with an iphone 4. So here is what i did.

1) i follow the first post to Send Free Test SMS to Your Phone and send myself an international text.
    2)turn facetime option on ( waiting for activation message shows up as always.
    3)left the phone on with wifi on as well. and now in the morning it is activated.

But now my phone number above facetime has a + 1 in front of it, it doesnt have it before and this could be the reason. ill will test this out to see if it actually activated.
    Last edited by goodgod2; 08-27-2010 at 08:52 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by exNavy View Post
    Have you used it? Or are you just guessing at the quality through no practical testing?

In case you don't get what FaceTime is, it's video chatting over a Wi-Fi connection.

Do you people not get that FaceTime was designed to work over Wi-Fi?
    My sister and my mom both have T-Mobile and they both hate it! From their experience they get missed calls because sometimes people can't connect to them for some odd ball reason.

Facetime was meant to be for WiFi, however, with 3g unrestrictor or My3G you can use Facetime over 3G. This is the reason why everyone keeps talking about how it probably looks like s*** over T-Mobile. I don't know how it looks over T-Mobile myself since my family doesn't have iPhone 4's...

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

all these people keep trying to "make sure we understand facetime was designed for wifi". DUH!

what the hell, of course we know that. but with 3g unrrestrictor it gives us the ability to use it in places its more suitable for. like while im at the beach fishing and wanna show my friend this crazy shark i just cought. lol

so, someone on tmobile usa, and edge. test it out!
    1.1.1>1.1.2>1.1.4>2.0>2.1>2.2>3.1>3.1.2 blackra1n'd

waitin on my white iphone 4

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smirkis View Post
    all these people keep trying to "make sure we understand facetime was designed for wifi". DUH!

what the hell, of course we know that. but with 3g unrrestrictor it gives us the ability to use it in places its more suitable for. like while im at the beach fishing and wanna show my friend this crazy shark i just cought. lol

well do you also understand that the whole idea of running a video chat over EDGE is retarded, basically at a mere 150 kb/s...about 3 times as fast as 56k...

people are making the point that in the US this application is unnecessary because you can't use 3G on t-mobile because it runs on a different band...and the only other alternative is EDGE, which will run horribly.

yeah if you wanna show your friends what you caught go ahead, but they will probably see a grainy blob at maybe 3 FPS

which is why people are saying it works over wifi on t-mo and stating that fact that people aren't understanding that people don't need this if they're just using FaceTime over WiFi

however this may be great internationally if they people can use 3g on the iphone

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by smirkis View Post

This is why we have picture messaging...
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

i don't need a pair of you noobs telling what i already know...

mms sucks, i send it, they get it a hour later. sometimes 20 minutes, sometimes 10 minutes, but never right after i sent it already. it lags.

3fps? fine with me! i asked if it works and how well, i dont need to hear you two noobs telling me "its gonna look like crap". thanks, i know it will, but 3fps is fine by me LOL

now, go back to what you two noobs were reading and keep passing around info people have known for ages.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

lol...wow sorry if i hurt your pride for knowing it all...

just telling all the sheep in the first few pages who seem to be thrilled with this application and paying $6 for the chance to vid chat over 2G data...just doesn't seem to be worth it is all i'm saying, especially since some people don't seem to understand that fact...don't take things so personally or if everyone is directing their comments at you...don't wanna do that now do we? i'll go on with my noob ways... :P

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

please do.

incase you forgot, lots of people were having issues with facetime not working because it never got activated after the jailbreak.

this program, activates facetime for them. allowing unlocked users to use this on wifi/edge(slow as piss according to you).

then life goes on.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

My FaceTime works great

Thanks

now lets see it run on EDGE.lol...nice to have facetime working on t-mo but wifi would be best to use it..not on slowedge
    THANK ME THANK THANK AGAIN..

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ok, so I paid the 6 bucks and as I said in my previous post, don't regret it one bit. One thing I have learned from this is that probably could have saved me the six bucks is the fact the in order for your facetime to activate, your phone number under in setting should have the +1 prefix in order for it to activate. I noticed that after I sent myself the free international SMS that made the prefix show up. I think that maybe if I would have just waited for a bit the facetime would have activated on its own.

So long story short if you dont want to pay the 6 bucks and you still want to have the option of facetime but its not activated, maybe you should try to add that +1 prefix to your number some how and switch facetime on. Give it a day and see if it activates. Maybe this guy has found that this is the trick and is able to make a few bucks off of it.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I used it over the tmobile EDGE network A LOT today and it was GREAT! When I had less than 3 bars it was laggy, but 4 or 5 bars I couldn't tell difference between that and wifi connection...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Sounds like 3G unrestrictor. Apps like Skype here in the UK are free all day every day on selected phones, except the iPhone. 3G unrestrictor makes the software think your still on WiFi... Worth a try I guess. When they rolled out the ipad in the UK many were forced into signing a new contract (30 day rolling or 12 months min) eg no payandgo. But Hutchinson 3 network have a device called MiFi where you put a payandgo normal size sim into it and the MiFi is then a WiFi access point then you could try to use face time on WiFi as technically your on WiFi but only to the MiFi which is subsequently connected to the net via 3G or EDGE. Sorry to everyone reading this in the US but I'm not sure if MiFi is available in the US but very popular in Europe. Ps MiFi is smaller than 3 x 3 inches also has it's own battery so zero restrictions on where you go, areas of no 3G coverage. Not sure there unlockable but its an alternative to crushing your data every month.
    Last edited by CodfishCatfish; 08-28-2010 at 03:07 AM.

Thanks

This is pretty awesome, I'm probably going to wait it out this time though until someone else jumps in and does something similar to this, whether it's free or not.

I just know I won't be giving this guy a dime anymore. The only time I went to his forums to see if PushFix was going to work for iOS 4, I never saw an answer to a two week post. Apparently many people were complaining how it was taking them up to a month to resolve their issues.

(This was before I knew how Push even worked back in 3.0, so at first I never attempted the AT&T SIM way myself, until iOS 4 which worked beautifully.)
    iPhone 32GB 3GS - iOS 4.2.1 - BB: 5.11.07
    iPhone 16GB 3G - 3.1.3 - BB: 4.28.08

iPhone? More like MyPhone slavipz's Avatar
    Thanks

I have purchase the app and what I have not is the message "FT SMS too old", come on pushfix, tel me what to do....