+ Reply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Version 1.1.0 of Netflix App Brings Streaming Support to iPhone, iPod

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Falling neatly into the category of "I should have written about this sooner but I was too busy enjoying it," the good people at Netflix rolled out an iOS App
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Version 1.1.0 of Netflix App Brings Streaming Support to iPhone, iPod

Falling neatly into the category of "I should have written about this sooner but I was too busy enjoying it," the good people at Netflix rolled out an iOS App Store software update today, effectively delivering to iPhone and iPod touch users the ability stream movies directly from their handset.

version 1.1.0 of the Netflix app now supporting iPhone and iPod Touch in addition to iPad is a welcome arrival to Netflix subscribers (at least those with unlimited memberships) and a new opportunity to soak up as much content as they desire from their Instant Watch queue. Version 1.1 requires iOS 3.1.3 or later. In case you're wondering, the streaming service does in fact work over 3G on the iPhone - just like the iPad. According to the hugely popular video rental service, the software made available through this latest update utilizes "adaptive technology" which allows for instant switching between Wi-Fi and 3G connections.

For months (since April, in fact), the people at Netflix have promised to supplement their iPad app with a corresponding iPhone/iPod app. Although this "eventuality" took longer than many Netflix lovers had hoped, today they are reveling in the arrival of this neat little app, which is so totally cool that it even makes some restless in anticipation of getting back to it.

Now, if you'll excuse me...
    Last edited by Michael Essany; 08-26-2010 at 10:11 AM.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

CaryDude (08-26-2010), dmicic (08-28-2010), izzy5708 (08-27-2010), rryyddeerr (08-26-2010), soulthoughts (08-26-2010), TheSmartGuy (08-26-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Excellent. Been streaming netflix on the go all morning. not bad over 3g too. been waiting for this!

Thanks

im there.... downloading now
    i used to pray to the Lord every night and ask Him for a bicycle- but then i realized that God doesn't work that way, so I stole one and prayed for Him to forgive me...

iPhone? More like MyPhone iphone4idiots's Avatar
    Thanks

Streaming Tosh.O right now over 3G. Works very well. Small pause when have to stop and start but not long at all.

I forsee ATT network problems ahead.
    I thought my carrier was bad til I got a new web host

iPhone? More like MyPhone macsoldier's Avatar
    Thanks

awesome

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iphone4idiots View Post
    Streaming Tosh.O right now over 3G. Works very well. Small pause when have to stop and start but not long at all.

I foresee ATT network problems ahead.
    i also see a cash cow for ATT for all of those without unlimited data plans.

Thanks

This is awesome. I have been waiting for this since I heard about it being on the ipad. I just wonder how long the battery will last.

Thanks

This app is so awesome! I can't believe it's finally here. Now I can watch movies at work, LOL...

Green Apple
    Thanks

I *almost* feel bad for all the people that wrote Apps for Netflix queue managers and were charging for them, lol. This has made them completely obsolete.

Thanks

I hear it's quite buggy.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

for some reason the app will not load for me... i had the hacked version of the ipad on my phone before and deleted it before installing the new version. is anyone else having this problem? it takes almost 5 minutes to open the app then just gets stuck on the gray screen

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

been waiting for this all summer.

it doesn't have backgrounding yet tho. :-(

Thanks

load up cydelete and use that to delete your existing netflix app. i had to do that myself.

i've streamed a couple of shows now even on my spotty crappy 3g connection here. the first few minutes of each were pretty jittery but WOW did it even out nicely after that.
    Last edited by jeffhesser; 08-26-2010 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

video out?

Twitter: @tshoults

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Do you have to pay for the rentals?
    Any benefit of having a jailbroken iphone 4?

its not showing up on the App store for me, im guessing its because im in Canada... Anyway for me to get it? Its not on **********
    Last edited by stizzi; 08-26-2010 at 11:31 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life Bluemoldycheeze88's Avatar
    Thanks

Is it free to stream?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jeffhesser View Post
    load up cydelete and use that to delete your existing netflix app. i had to do that myself.

i've streamed a couple of shows now even on my spotty crappy 3g connection here. the first few minutes of each were pretty jittery but WOW did it even out nicely after that.
    was using cydelete all along i dont know why but i still cant get it to play any movies i dont know if its the netflix server or my iphone 4 but haven't been able to watch a show yet

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ihaveabu View Post
    been waiting for this all summer.

it doesn't have backgrounding yet tho. :-(
    Lol, yes it does! It's called "backgrounder" and "multiflow"! Jailbreak that beast, disable the crappy iOS4 psuedo-multitasking and get with the program!

Quote Originally Posted by moon#pie View Post
    video out?
    Yep, it's called "display out" on cydia. Allows you to display Hulu videos as well as netflix to any TV with the proper cable a MUST HAVE jailbroken app.
    Last edited by hacktarded1; 08-26-2010 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by index View Post
    I *almost* feel bad for all the people that wrote Apps for Netflix queue managers and were charging for them, lol. This has made them completely obsolete.
    I don;t think it has its own queue mgr built in. So those apps are not obsolete. Yet.

My iPhone is a Part of Me EskimoRuler's Avatar
    Thanks

Works great. Happy to see it on the iPhone finally.
    You don't like the iPad because you don't have one!