+ Reply
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: "Traitorware:" EFF Warns About Apple Patent

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
The Electronic Frontier Foundation is saying that Apple wants to take spyware to the next level and create what the digital-rights advocacy group calls “traitorware:” technology that will inform Cupertino
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default "Traitorware:" EFF Warns About Apple Patent

The Electronic Frontier Foundation is saying that Apple wants to take spyware to the next level and create what the digital-rights advocacy group calls “traitorware:” technology that will inform Cupertino if a user is doing something the company doesn't like. The patent - which Michael covered last week, describes technologies that would ostensibly help recover stolen iPhones, but could also be used for spying and as a remote "kill switch" for jailbroken and unlocked phones.

The patent, "Systems and Methods for Identifying Unauthorized Users of an Electronic Device" describes how an iOS device could determine a user’s identity and whether or not the user is the registered owner. The capabilities of the device - recording the voice of a user, getting the real-time location of the device, taking a photo of the user and the surroundings, and biometric information like heart rate and something called the "vibration profile" all without the user’s knowledge.

EFF writer Julie Samuels writes in her blog post entitled "Steve Jobs is Watching You" that Apple does not say in the application how it would use the information, how long it will keep it, or who it would share it with. Samuels raises warnings that if Apple collects the information, the likelihood is great that it will eventually be exposed either by law enforcement or by security breaches, either outcome being a grave risk to privacy. Furthermore, Samuels highlights (as Michael did in his article) the capability this would give Apple to remotely kill any jailbroken or unlocked device.

“This patent application does nothing short of providing a roadmap for how Apple can — and presumably will — spy on its customers and control the way its customers use Apple products,” Samuels writes. Decrying it as “downright creepy and invasive,” Samuels calls on Apple to leave this technology on the shelf.

Source: Computerworld
    Last edited by Paul Daniel Ash; 08-25-2010 at 04:24 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life iNT3Rv3NTiONZz's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm sure the devs will find a way to trick it and feed it information from somewhere else, personally I'm not worried..

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

psh... Devs will disable Apple's ability to do this before starting the jailbreak process, yet another reason to jailbreak iPhones.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to unison999 For This Useful Post:

that_girl (08-25-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Apple cannot use this to deter jailbreaking or unlocking due to the new legislation. I hope they enjoy the pics they get from me or rather I hope they are prepared for the pics they get from me lol

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainChaos For This Useful Post:

reanimationxp (08-26-2010), that_girl (08-25-2010), ~rage (08-26-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

thats a scary thing... and also a invasion of privicy!!! let me find out that they're doin that **** to me and I'm suing someone

iPhone? More like MyPhone vedavis's Avatar
    Thanks

Steve Jobs on the big screen, "We shall prevail,..." Cut to a young woman running up the aisle with a sledgehammer and Google t-shirt. This is unreal.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quite frankly, I think the jailbreak legislation is a load of {nothing} to Apple. We're talking about one of the most arrogant companies on the universe and they've been against jailbreaking and unlocking ever since the first time it was done.

And even if all the weight of the law falls on them, they have the money to pay the best lawyers around, so their @$$ will be saved most likely...

I'm not really worried about this "technology". I know the devs will come up with something brilliant to stop it, or confuse it, or whatever. Besides, if it really becomes a reality, it will probably be imposed on a future iOS update....just don't update. But knowing Apple, most probably our iDevices are equipped with something (hardware or software) they can activate remotely and start this "service" whenever they want.

Thanks

I've never understood why Apple or anybody wants to make more money.

Once you reach a certain amount of money, you don't need anymore of it to take care of all your expenses. I don't understand why some people are multimillionaires of even billionaires.

Green Apple
    Thanks

For this reason I gave up for Iphone, and I use only Ipod, and Im in love with my HTC Desire, it is more than i was espected from Android phone no missing any more Iphone.

jrrtps

Livin the iPhone Life Bluemoldycheeze88's Avatar
    Thanks

Big Brother much?...
    Why don't they just take my credit card info and max them out?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluemoldycheeze88 For This Useful Post:

Trrixx (08-25-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Apple is realy going out of their way to push people towards other platforms. Shameful. I can see this being my last iPhone.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Antman217's Avatar
    Thanks

What if you buy an iphone off a friend and its still registered to them?!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Antman217 For This Useful Post:

twitchthecat (08-25-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I ain't worried about it, you can't stop hackers... They have and always figure out a way around it.

Thanks

the scary thing is, they probably allready do without your knowledge.on the other hand to even think that this would ever become a legitimate piece of software integrated into your device, crosses over way too many privacy rights laws for it to ever happen.

Quote Originally Posted by SMokemyPole88 View Post
    Big Brother much?...
    Why don't they just take my credit card info and max them out?
    they allready do. its called iTunes
    Last edited by rhekt; 08-25-2010 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    killall Terminal[]

19. The Following User Says Thank You to rhekt For This Useful Post:

reanimationxp (08-26-2010)

Thanks

A jailbreak will fix this anyways. Then we can send them fake locations and naughty images (lemon party for Apple).

Thanks

ill bet my life and my families that apple cannot do this. Would this exclude the people that bought their phone straight out unlocked from apple?

Apple is like a child....they try and get away with as much as they can and stir up **** in the meanwhile

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by billmilo View Post
    I've never understood why Apple or anybody wants to make more money.

Once you reach a certain amount of money, you don't need anymore of it to take care of all your expenses. I don't understand why some people are multimillionaires of even billionaires.
    I would imagine.... It's about power (control), pride and status when you get to the level of Steve Jobs. He's obviously not worried about making his car payment, or paying off his credit card bill...

He has become POWER hungry, Steve Jobs I think, is the best example of someone changing their moral attitudes and stance after achieving unrivaled success.

It's no longer purely money (and hasn't been for a long time) that drives him. He wants to CRUSH all his competitors, he wants to be the best. He wants to be remembered as a revolutionary, someone who changed the world, someone who SHAPED a new world.

Love him or hate him, he has brought us products that really are revolutionary. Products we obviously love, and is unquestionably shaping the future of technology.

Perhaps his drive for power over money is what creates the inspiration he has to bring us these amazing products. If it was only about money, perhaps he wouldn't be making anything new right now....Microsoft...Bill Gates... U listening??

Green Apple
    Thanks

If Apple ever does this I won't be buying anymore of their products. Even if it can be bypassed by the devs, the fact that they would do it is just down right creepy and I feel an invasion of my privacy. This is taking their "control freak" status to a new level.

Thanks

the thread picture reminds me of the very first Apple commercial from the 80's
    killall Terminal[]

iPhone? More like MyPhone maddawg05's Avatar
    Thanks

Steve Jobs=Dr. Evil

+ Reply
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast