Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: GameCenter, Proximity Sensor Fix in iOS 4.1

MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default GameCenter, Proximity Sensor Fix in iOS 4.1

Reports from users of the iOS 4.1 beta indicate that the new version will include support for GameCenter, Apple's new social gaming platform, as well as fixes for problems with Bluetooth and the proximity sensor bug. Though not documented in the beta release notes, AppleInsider is claiming that the proximity sensor behavior is much improved, with fewer incidences of the screen being activated during calls.

According to the post by AppleInsider's Neil Hughes, there are stilll bugs in the beta 3 seed that will need to be fixed before the update can be released. However, the source Hughes talked to, who claims to have experience with the iOS 4.1 beta, say that “the proximity sensor on the iPhone 4 is far more reliable." There are also, according to this source, undocumented fixes for issues that users have had with Bluetooth connectivity.

Probably the most significant new feature is Game Center, which is Apple's equivalent of the Xbox Live or Sony Playstation Network for iOS devices. Accounts in Game Center are created with your Apple ID, and like other social gaming platforms allows you to play online with friends and track your achievements. The Game Kit framework API provided by Apple allows devs to build Game Center support into their games, with includes features like leaderboards for scoresand player-versus-player matchmaking so that users can compete in online games one to one or in a group.

Other changes that are being tipped by AppleInsider's source include the ability to turn spelling autocorrection off (finally!) and camera controls that move with the display when the device is rotated from portrait to landscape position. The iOS 4.1 update is expected in September.

Source: AppleInsider

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

Buckmaster (08-21-2010), Flybeast0408 (08-21-2010), numanair (08-22-2010), reanimationxp (08-23-2010), sdphone (08-29-2010), wcbardwell (08-21-2010)

I'm glad there getting all the bugs worked out now. Cany upgrade till feburary. Thanks for the info

4. The Following User Says Thank You to primalscream.40 For This Useful Post:

jacobthejokester (08-21-2010)

Good news... Looking forward to the proximity fix... It's always a pain when you're on a call and your phone runs a muck...

My iPhone is a Part of Me headcheese's Avatar
    Thanks

1st toolbox, and it doesn't mean a damn thing
    Fixed that for you

MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Thanks

This is old news!!! We already knew this when the first beta of iOS 4.1 was released !!!

What about bluetooth AVRCP controls? Wasn't that in an earlier beta?

I don't have any proximity sensor issues and I don't really care about GameCenter. Good for those with issues or care about social gaming on their phone though

this is great news sucks u will need to lose your jb to get the fixes though, hope the devs can come through with a new jb

11. The Following User Says Thank You to wolverinemarky For This Useful Post:

reanimationxp (08-23-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by headcheese View Post
    Fixed that for you
    Lol that's funny

And let me guess, this is the OS the ipod touch 4/4g will be shipping with (because of the game center). Be it or not I just hope it gets jailbroken faster than the iphone 4, because I have to change my touch 1g(I broke the home button) but I don't want to wait to have it jailbroken

Livin the iPhone Life iNT3Rv3NTiONZz's Avatar
    Thanks

this sounds pretty cool, on the other hand it could mean my i4 comes with 4.1 on it and could be injailbreakable

iPhone4 16gb black - 4.1 Limera1ned
    iPhone 3G 16gb white - 3.1.2 jailbroken
    Blackra1ned
    THANKYOU ONCE AGAIN GEOHOT!

Green Apple
    Thanks

I hope they are working on a jailbreak.

Thanks

Why isn't Game center on my iPhone 3G?

OOH SNAP! Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this makes me wonder of any possibility of bans for iPhone with the gamecenter....

Think of cheaters on 360 or ps3. Or what about Psp? Even worse, what about jailbreakers?

With the 360, Microsoft could usually find out if ur playing backups, and ban you. What of the pirates that get free apps? I recall seeing some posts on other sites awhile back with ppl saying some apps detected you using there software illegally.

Or how about ps3 and psp's mandatory updates? Requiring you to use the latest firmware to play on the network. I could see apple doing this in the same way if they wanted too, possibly forcing those who REALLY want to play multiplayer gamecenter games with there friends to update if there isn't a new jailbreak out yet for said update....

I hope I didn't just give apple ideas.... Lol

iPhone? More like MyPhone ForumSnoBorderRK's Avatar
    Thanks

Can somebody please enlighten me on what the differences are between AUTO CORRECTION and SPELLING AUTO CORRECTION?

Because I am currently able to turn off auto correction but i am positive that's not what Paul was referring to in the original post.

Thanks

IS there going to be a jailbreak release when this comes out???? jk I am pretty excited about the game center though
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

Quote Originally Posted by MaxxyBoii2K10 View Post
    this sounds pretty cool, on the other hand it could mean my i4 comes with 4.1 on it and could be injailbreakable

I think you meant unjailbreakable

Quote Originally Posted by unvaluablespace View Post
    OOH SNAP! Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this makes me wonder of any possibility of bans for iPhone with the gamecenter....

Think of cheaters on 360 or ps3. Or what about Psp? Even worse, what about jailbreakers?

With the 360, Microsoft could usually find out if ur playing backups, and ban you. What of the pirates that get free apps? I recall seeing some posts on other sites awhile back with ppl saying some apps detected you using there software illegally.

Or how about ps3 and psp's mandatory updates? Requiring you to use the latest firmware to play on the network. I could see apple doing this in the same way if they wanted too, possibly forcing those who REALLY want to play multiplayer gamecenter games with there friends to update if there isn't a new jailbreak out yet for said update....

I hope I didn't just give apple ideas.... Lol

You haven't given Apple any ideas mate...Apple has always been known to look for new ways to stop and prevent JB'ing...I'd be REALLY surprised if this wasn't already on their agenda, as Apple's motivation would most probably be tied to their wallet...plus it'll require ALL online gamers to use the same stock firmware

There could however be light at the end of the tunnel when the Dev-Team find a way round Apple's tactic, probably by setting up a separate FREE Game-Center server for JB'kers to connect to
    Last edited by iLaw-One; 08-21-2010 at 02:39 PM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to iLaw-One For This Useful Post:

BeachLivin88 (08-22-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by iLaw-One View Post
    I think you meant unjailbreakable
    Neither are real words. For this new word, he picked the "in" prefix like "indesctructable" and you picked "un," like "undeniable." *shrug* They're both right.

Quote Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
    Neither are real words. For this new word, he picked the "in" prefix like "indesctructable" and you picked "un," like "undeniable." *shrug* They're both right.

Off topic I know...I agree both are right - sort of, not saying I'm right and he's wrong, but if it were to be made a 'real' word, mine sounds more phonetically correct, and would ultimately be chosen
    Last edited by iLaw-One; 08-21-2010 at 04:33 PM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to iLaw-One For This Useful Post:

BeachLivin88 (08-22-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life Bluemoldycheeze88's Avatar
    Thanks

I wonder if this update will also include the fix for iphone 3g lag response.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast