+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Nokia Ramps Up Efforts to Compete with App Store

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by saab9k Have a nokia E71, switch between it and a Iphone 3gs. The nokia is not a bad phone. you said the key word phone hahahaha. just
    iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by saab9k View Post
    Have a nokia E71, switch between it and a Iphone 3gs.

The nokia is not a bad phone.

you said the key word phone hahahaha. just a phone is not going to do it these days most of us want smartphones not just something to call only hahahahahah.

Quote Originally Posted by MetallicaFan1991 View Post
    How can you say Nokia is struggling, get your facts right, only people who want apps and latest technology go for high end smartphones but most people who just want a phone will go for Nokia regardless of the crappy OS Symbian which was ok on my last Nokia phone, the N95 8GB, that was an awesome phone with the best speakers I've heard on any phone!
    well if want a radio in your pocket you should take the speakers out and put them in your iphone.
    Last edited by zozodouce; 08-20-2010 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life Bluemoldycheeze88's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't know why but when I think hear Nokia I think back to early to mid 2000's.
    I found my old nokia 6700 With a 1.3 Mega Pixel Camera from Verizon. I remember this phone was the it phone back in 2003..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sal_osx View Post
    Everytime I hear Nokia I think of prehistoric phones. Is it just me or anyone else have the same thought?
    Bahahaha I think of my old brick of a phone (5110, to be exact) thinking I was the business playing snake.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pitbull2o08 View Post
    ummm Nokia struggling? LMFAO!

The first quarter of 2010 had Nokia almost doubling the manufacturer behind them in sales. They sold 107.8 million phones first quarter, 2010 for 36.6% Global Market Share. Samsung was #2 with only 64.3 million sold. Apple wasn't even in the top 5. They only sold 8.8 million units.

And for everyone saying, "Well, apple is smarter and Nokia sells dumb phones." guess what? of those 107.8 million Nokia sold, still 25 million were Symbian OS smart phones. Symbian is not out of date, they just updated this year. And you people act like all 8 billion people in this world want a smart phone. Nokia caters to every demographic in the world! That's why they sell like hotcakes. I hate rhetorically arguing my point.
    Exactly. People seem to forget the fact that a lot of people(I'm willing to bet more than the amount of people that want smart phones) don't want a smart phone. They want a phone that is a phone and nothing more because it's always a cheap phone and cheap phone bill. Nokia sells those type of phones which is why it's so successful.

Also, companies need to stop trying to compete with apple by making something similar. They need to work on one ground breaking thing that hasn't been made yet. Making a new touch screen phone with basically the same things minus the app market isn't going to beat an iphone.

Thanks

I think most the people saying they don't want a smart phone just don't want to admit to wanting one. There's a big difference between not wanting and can't afford

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

if anyone in here can't afford a smart phone than you don't need to be here reading this.modmyi needs to make a new site or a forums for people with the cheap garbage phones like the ones Nokia makes.all you nokia garbage cheap phone lovers can go there and jailbreak your nokia phone hahahahaha.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 883 Posts

Wow someone doesn't like Nokia.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zozodouce View Post
    if anyone in here can't afford a smart phone than you don't need to be here reading this.modmyi needs to make a new site or a forums for people with the cheap garbage phones like the ones Nokia makes.all you nokia garbage cheap phone lovers can go there and jailbreak your nokia phone hahahahaha.
    Who says people that don't want an iphone can't afford one? Some people(not me, I have an iphone) only need a phone. They don't need all the fancy things smartphones have. So, why pay the expensive bill of a smartphone plan and the high cost of an iphone if you don't need it? But then again why am I even telling you this, you seem to think everyone who doesn't want something can't afford it....

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by robertr1 View Post
    Who says people that don't want an iphone can't afford one? Some people(not me, I have an iphone) only need a phone. They don't need all the fancy things smartphones have. So, why pay the expensive bill of a smartphone plan and the high cost of an iphone if you don't need it? But then again why am I even telling you this, you seem to think everyone who doesn't want something can't afford it....
    That's fine but this topic of discussion is about Nokia's weak attempts to get into the smart phone market.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Antman217's Avatar
    Thanks

Ok people we need to get back on track! The article is about a nokia app store not about how many people in the world have a nokia phone. People are talking about how there are a lot of nokia phones out there but the real question you should be answering is how many people have a nokia smartphone that supports apps and then think about why nokia is too late in the game.

miPhone's better than yours GellBrake'rrrr's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Antman217 View Post
    Ok people we need to get back on track! The article is about a nokia app store not about how many people in the world have a nokia phone. People are talking about how there are a lot of nokia phones out there but the real question you should be answering is how many people have a nokia smartphone that supports apps and then think about why nokia is too late in the game.

Great point!!! I love the arguments! Don't get me wrong. As long as were not struggling over who's the first to post a comment... It's all good as long as it's relevant. But like you said.... This was a post about an app store for Nokia. And yes my friend.... They are WAY TOO LATE to enter the game now!

Thanks

You should have done that a LONG TIME ago, Nokia.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Thanks

When it comes to apps, Nokie is many laps down in this race.

My iPhone is a Part of Me tudtran's Avatar
    Thanks

It's two years too late nokia. Apple's app store is gonna own your ***

Green Apple
    Thanks

perhaps nokia gonna sell to third world countries when they reach the current development of our countries :P

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by squassss View Post
    It's real simple. Yes there are more Nokia phones but from a smart phone perspective Nokia is getting destroyed by the competition. The time for quality over quantity has come. The Symbian OS is outdated junk and has been for a long time. With mobile OS's out there that are so much easier to work with people don't want to waste their time with a clunky overpriced option. The last truely "ahead of the game" phone Nokia had was the N95 and that lasted a very very short time. Nokia has an opportunity here to get it together but people don't want to have to re buy apps for a phone when they have invested so much in the IOS or Droid apps they currently have.
    The majority of phones that consumers use are not smartphones. It will be that way until there are no more dumb phones. Why? Cost. It costs more to buy a smartphone and it costs more monthly to maintain a smartphone account. Just because the users of this forum enjoy them doesn't mean that everyone in the world has one or wants one. It is all about demographics and Nokia has a stranglehold on dumb phones. Just like the Wii has the market on console sales. They target people well. I won't own a dumbphone, but millions upon millions of user do and will continue doing so.

Thanks

Nokia app store? You mean the kiosks in the mall that sell cheap American flag snap cases for Nokia phones? Maybe they'll revolutionize mobile devices like they did with the N-Gage. Nokia does dumb phones well. I've seen NOTHING impressive from them in the smartphone arena.

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by squassss View Post
    It's real simple. Yes there are more Nokia phones but from a smart phone perspective Nokia is getting destroyed by the competition. The time for quality over quantity has come. The Symbian OS is outdated junk and has been for a long time. With mobile OS's out there that are so much easier to work with people don't want to waste their time with a clunky overpriced option. The last truely "ahead of the game" phone Nokia had was the N95 and that lasted a very very short time. Nokia has an opportunity here to get it together but people don't want to have to re buy apps for a phone when they have invested so much in the IOS or Droid apps they currently have.
    The only way around this is for developers themselves to become platform independent. If you bought Angry Birds on iOS, then you should get a free license for Droid or Ovi. That would negate the whole platform lockin AND it would ultimately benefit developers. Only those developers with the resources to do this would survive, and they'd all be doing quite well.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I agree !

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by politicalslug View Post
    The only way around this is for developers themselves to become platform independent. If you bought Angry Birds on iOS, then you should get a free license for Droid or Ovi. That would negate the whole platform lockin AND it would ultimately benefit developers. Only those developers with the resources to do this would survive, and they'd all be doing quite well.
    I disagree. Number one, if Nokia wants Angry Birds, they'll make an OS and hardware that can push it. Developers go for the money. Money is made by good games and that takes good hardware and software which are NOT a dev's responsibility. Secondly, that would effectively push independent developers out of the app game. They play a HUGE role in innovation. Just because a firm is large, doesn't mean they make good software, ahem, Nokia. And lastly, let's just say I had $100 in apps. That isn't reason enough for me to stay with a sub par device. If it sucks, im bailing. 90% of people would do the same. Eventually apps may be cross platform, like movie studios are doing with digital copies of movies. Buy the movie, play it on whatever. But until the competition catch up, it won't happen often in the app scene.

I have closer to $20 in apps. I'm not glued to a device over purchased apps. Im glued to a device because of QUALITY. The sheer number o apps doesn't hurt either, but there are those kind of numbers at Apple because of the quality of the software and hardware. Should we punish them because they took a risk? Because they innovated while others watched? Level the playing field?
    Last edited by ShredNasty; 08-23-2010 at 04:44 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost