+ Reply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Steve Jobs: Software Fix Coming to Boost Speed of iPhone 3G Running iOS 4

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Ya I advised him to turn off spotlight. I saw very very minor improvements in speed. What are peoples experience with turning that off is it noticable speed gains to
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Ya I advised him to turn off spotlight. I saw very very minor improvements in speed. What are peoples experience with turning that off is it noticable speed gains to anyone else?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

They bumped it once - small bump but it is an underclocked 600Mhz chip I do believe (?). That with better memory management ( you can see some type of new memory control already in iOS4 ) should help considerably. While I now use a 3GS ( 600 apps over 30 pages - JB ROCK SOLID ) - I find while my JB 3G is sluggish ( very ) it still works - plays the same games as the 3GS - it never had enough memory. Shoot the iPad needs more memory - I can't believe it doesn't have a GB of RAM. I bought an iPhone 4 ( retail ) - then my common sense started to function again - so I returned it - They are flawed after all ( right ) LOL. Actually the 4 is a beautiful phone- just not worth 734. Retail + tax ... Can't believe I did something that stupid! So maybe I have no idea WTF I'm talking about. Cheers...

Thanks

As I recall there is a 3GS and a 4! So why again are they doing this? I have a iBook that needs a update as well!

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

after upgrading my 3g to iOS4 my wife told me "if you do that shyt to my phone I'll kill you" lol... so hers is still on 3.1.2 running flawlessly. My 3g instead, is sitting on the night table collecting dust and I went and got a Samsung Vibrant (I finally have 3G on t-mobile) and runs soooo much better than iPhone and screen is bad *** (AMOLED) so doesn't even make me want the iPhone 4 anymore

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

They should just release the next update for the iPhone 2G as well as it uses the exact same hardware as the iPhone 3G except it doesn't have 3G and GPS.

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Thanks

{off topic} but does anyone know if I purchase a iPhone 4 today what firmware version does it come with? Has 4.0.2 started rolling out on iPhone 4's

iPhone? More like MyPhone dale2's Avatar
    Thanks

Why does my 3G work fine?
    i even have multitasking, battery percentage, and wallpaper on, yet it still works flawlessly(as flawlessly as a two year old phone can)
    maybe you guys need to keep track of how many open apps you have in the background.
    i never let more than two pages, that's 8 apps, stay open at one time.

hell, even before i jailbroke it on 4.0, right before i used redsn0w it worked fine!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Antman217's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dale2 View Post
    Why does my 3G work fine?
    i even have multitasking, battery percentage, and wallpaper on, yet it still works flawlessly(as flawlessly as a two year old phone can)
    maybe you guys need to keep track of how many open apps you have in the background.
    i never let more than two pages, that's 8 apps, stay open at one time.

hell, even before i jailbroke it on 4.0, right before i used redsn0w it worked fine!
    Same here I had no problems even after I enabled multitasking. I did lag a little but only because of the apps running in the background so I downloaded backgrounder and disabled native multitasking so I can still used the multitasking bar for the portrait rotation lock and the cool looking new music controls so I can use them for pandora lol. Also I did the disable spotlight thing and it did help a little. But maybe this update will boost even more speed... that would be awesome!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Huh?!
    I don't understand why (other than the potential complication for jailbreakers) the response from some is "get a new phone"... if you have a phone you like and it does what you want, why should you have to go out and buy a new one? I have my 2G and I love it. I have no idea why Apple won't let me install iOS4 on it, as it's a 3G without the 3G, but obviously the God Steve doesn't want to support me any more.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ummm feel free to go TMO. The fastest you can go on TMO is Edge and the 2G is only on Edge so no ******** please.

T-mobile[/QUOTE]

LMAO! never a dull moment on here!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yentrog31 View Post
    WTF..they give a crap about 3G?
    ...is Apple going soft?
    3G is still being sold NEW in some countries.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    My 3G speeds are pretty good :/

1st

MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Thanks

...is Apple going soft?
    Yes Apple is going soft (Sarcastically said) Next generation of Macs will boot with windows only. Then soon flash will be on the iPhone and last but not least Jobs and Gates will create a mega company called iWin and take everyones money and laugh at us.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to santacruzlocal For This Useful Post:

Kaas (08-22-2010)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sand0s View Post
    turn off spotlight... that is all.
    HOW? I would love to turn that crap off. I never use it and it pi$$es me off when I click the home button too many times. As its so slow I wonder if I did click home till that damn thing pops up.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Glad to have gotten rid of my iPhone 3G !!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AaronsElite View Post
    My 3G speeds are pretty good :/

1st
    your definatly not first

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I've disabled spotlight via manually removing daemon( along with others noted as safe) reboot phone 1-2 times a day and am constantly resisting urge to throw the phone. At least the iPhone 3G seems easiest for jailbreaks that we shouldn't have to wait too long when said patch is released... Chances are by then I'll have gone for iPhone 4...

Thanks

I'm surprised people using the 3G daily would even think of keeping iOS4 on the device. you should have downgraded to 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 long ago. there's nothing iOS4 adds to that phone.

unless, of course, there's some app you downloaded that requires iOS4 minimum, you're just frustrating yourself.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adrian1480 View Post
    I'm surprised people using the 3G daily would even think of keeping iOS4 on the device. you should have downgraded to 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 long ago. there's nothing iOS4 adds to that phone.

unless, of course, there's some app you downloaded that requires iOS4 minimum, you're just frustrating yourself.
    there are still many conveniences in iOS4. and my phone isn't very slow, even with multitasking and wallpapers enabled. i just removed launch daemons, took out some stuff in spotlight search, and removed shadows and gradients. only thing i complain about is the settings and ipod loadtime, but thats why i have multitasking. apple's multitasking doesn't use up much RAM

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

...is Apple going soft?
    I recall the 3G phone was still available less than 4 months ago for $99. Imagine buying a new phone only to learn if it crashes and you are FORCED to use the latest ios or you update following the itunes pop up windows and the phone becomes so frustatingly slow. I wouldn't be too happy.

Then again Steve Jobs acknowledges an issue and yet there are super 3g phones that defy the issue. After my wife updated to 4.0.2 I had to swap out the 3G for a 3Gs because the 3G was so incredibly slow..