+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Vimeo Shuns Flash for Apple

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
The popular video sharing service Vimeo has joined the Apple bandwagon, effectively shunning Flash in favor of a new embeddable HTML5 video player optimized for both the iPhone and iPad.
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Vimeo Shuns Flash for Apple

The popular video sharing service Vimeo has joined the Apple bandwagon, effectively shunning Flash in favor of a new embeddable HTML5 video player optimized for both the iPhone and iPad. Even though Vimeo introduced an HTML5-based video playback site in early 2010, this is the first time Vimeo has made it possible for users to embed vids with this new "Universal Player."

Essentially, the new offering is capable of deciphering the viewer's client and, subsequently, deliver the best playback option. You see, in the olden days, viewing embedded Vimeo videos was made possible though Adobe Flash. But that was then. The new "Apple standard" of video playback has influenced the way many top players in the digital video space have changed business as usual. So, in this regard, Vimeo is in good company.

According to the video sharing service, the new Universal Player serves up lower bandwidth videos to mobile clients and sends H.264 video to HTML5 devices. "While it was relatively easy to build an HTML5 player that worked on Vimeo.com," the company noted in its staff blog, "making an experience that could live and work anywhere is actually a big undertaking. For example, we had to write several new video players to replace what used to be just one: behind the scenes there is a new Flash player, new Flash mobile player, new iPad player, new iPhone player, and new HTML5 player. And we expect to add more."

To read the blog entry on Vimeo's new offering, click here.

Vimeo

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

reaves205 (08-18-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

oh well. Jobs happy

Thanks

Just one more way of doing something. At least now you can view these videos on your idevice if you're not JB and running Frash...

Thanks

Yay vimeo
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

6. The Following User Says Thank You to z3r01 For This Useful Post:

skatertrash (08-18-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

who the hell is vimeo? Did not even know this place existed if it was not for this post.
    Actually don't care, until they get as much stuff on their site as other places this Vimeo would be last place I look.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    who the hell is vimeo? Did not even know this place existed if it was not for this post.
    Actually don't care, until they get as much stuff on their site as other places this Vimeo would be last place I look.
    It's quality over quantity, Unison999. Vimeo is a place for artists and genuinely creative people to showcase their work to an equally minded audience. You won't find the worthless crap you do on YouTube, or the immature tween commenters, or get Rick Rolled. Vimeo is the Apple of the Internet video scene.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to skatertrash For This Useful Post:

durdan1 (08-19-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

kool

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

You might call Youtube quantity, but quality of info is there as well. When I want to find out about stuff that is on Video I can almost always find it on Youtube. Last I checked they support HTML5, so playback quality is there as well. So not sure where the advantage of Vimeo is over Youtube.

Thanks

Apple win
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Thanks

Apple wins ... Do we lose?

Livin the iPhone Life Bluemoldycheeze88's Avatar
    Thanks

Apple will almost always get their way... Their like that little spoiled kid that cry's until they get what they want.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by santacruzlocal View Post
    Apple wins ... Do we lose?
    We all win.

Those who hate flash get an alternative and flash fanboys can still play free online baby games. Is not choice better than having a monopoly rule embedded web content? Adobe have had it all their way for 15 years with no competition. Now they can get their lazy fat carcass off the development floor and get into the 21st century. They don't like it because the web will now be free to open development not held ransom to adobe tools and a crappy, lazy plugin that thinks it's a god.

Yay for choice!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SMokemyPole88 View Post
    Apple will almost always get their way... Their like that little spoiled kid that cry's until they get what they want.
    Don't think for one second that any company will bow down to apple. It's about the numbers and the dollars. A good business will try and pump its stuff to every platform it can get to. Isn't it smart to get it to idevices too seeing as they're a big number in the market place? Or are you one of those flash fanboys that only wants flash and nothing else. I hate flash and want something else. Now I'm getting a choice and freedom from a monopoly that has treated its captive audience like lemmings. You don't believe in choice????????

Why are all you flash fanboys so afraid of a little competition??? If flash is good enough to stand up, it will, or if it isn't, it will fall.

And all you microsuck fans had better get ready for a war when google chrome os is released. It's a winner.
    Last edited by Tyronal; 08-18-2010 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

In 30 years we will talk about steve jobs as the man who killed flash. It's amazing how one consumer electronics company can have so much influence on the interwebs. They have became so popular that the websites have no choice but to follow because they want to get most of the market. I'm telling u if it keeps going this way apple will take over the world.

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    You might call Youtube quantity, but quality of info is there as well. When I want to find out about stuff that is on Video I can almost always find it on Youtube. Last I checked they support HTML5, so playback quality is there as well. So not sure where the advantage of Vimeo is over Youtube.
    I'd explain it to you, but you're pretty dead set on not getting it or caring about it so I won't bother. If you don't see why Vimeo is awesome, your loss.

I'm a helpful jerk, fear me.

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Hmm, I'd rather have Flash to view ALL YouTube videos or HTML5 to actually work for YouTube in Safari.
    Also never heard of vimeo in my life.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skatertrash View Post
    ..........Vimeo is a place for artists and genuinely creative people to showcase their work to an equally minded audience. You won't find the worthless crap you do on YouTube, or the immature tween commenters, or get Rick Rolled. Vimeo is the Apple of the Internet video scene.
    well said and deserved. too bad you /cant/ actually send this HTML5 content to all your viewers unless you pay a ridiculous $10 a month or $60 a year. otherwise all your videos rely on flash. and if you try to view it on your iPhone, /good luck/. youll just get a big fat zero. [all said, this probably does keep out all the trailer trash]
    killall Terminal[]

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by M4tt Dam0n View Post
    In 30 years we will talk about steve jobs as the man who killed flash. It's amazing how one consumer electronics company can have so much influence on the interwebs. They have became so popular that the websites have no choice but to follow because they want to get most of the market. I'm telling u if it keeps going this way apple will take over the world.
    Idiot comment of the year. Google the history of flash, macromedia and what they, along with microsuck, did to Netscape and all other web plugins 15 years ago. Quicktime was the only surviver.

Between the two of them they destroyed all the competition to give flash the dominance it has had up until now. Karma has come to revisit. Microsuck aren't here to save them now, even they want choice in web content.

Sorry flash fanboy, you'll have to blame adobe for the death of flash. The lazy turds let it slide and never innovated their product. Now we have choice, and the evil monopoly comes to an end.

Web designers choose to code other than just flash to get to ALL devices, not just pc's and not only flash content. Woo hoo, we have a choice!! Do you have a problem with choice flashboy?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I'm just waiting for my apple iRobot to do all my housework and cleaning.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I dont think they joined the apple ranks, or that this is an apple win. Seems to me HTML 5 is the future.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I think it's pretty hilarious that you guys are going on about fanboyism and evil monopolies, when Apple is pretty much the most evil monopoly around at the moment, and also has the most devout and idiotic fanboys.

I'm all for choice but some of you are just stupid.