+ Reply
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Using Veency to Deal With Reception Loss

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Veency has been around for quite some time and many of you have probably already used it. Developed by Jay Freeman ( Saurik ), Veency is a VNC Server for
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,576 Times in 277 Posts

Default Using Veency to Deal With Reception Loss

Veency has been around for quite some time and many of you have probably already used it. Developed by Jay Freeman (Saurik), Veency is a VNC Server for your jailbroken iPhone. VNC is essentially an desktop sharing system that allows you to remotely control another computer. Keyboard and mouse events are sent from one computer to another, while an image is sent back, allowing you to see what is happening in real time.

Since I have recently moved to the mountains, I have found dead spots in different areas, and full in others only a few feet apart. The one that particularly grinds my gears is my new office, which receives a lovely "No Service". However, if I step outside or go upstairs, the reception is great with full bars and 3G.

It had occurred to me that Veency would be a fantastic way to still get reception, while working in the office. And naturally, with everyone these days complaining about reception problems, I figured I'd put together this short guide on getting Veency set up, in the scenario that you've never used a VNC before. So if your can find a good spot where you get great reception, this is where you'll plug your iPhone in (yes you'll want to leave it charging). Make sure Wi-Fi is connected (you'll need this) and download Veency from Rock/Cydia.

Once you've installed Veency, you'll want to set a password for the VNC Server. Go to Settings -> Veency -> Password. That's it, your phone is all set. Make a note of the IP address of your iPhone (if you have SBSettings, just swipe at the top) and leave your iPhone where it gets the best reception.

Now you'll need a VNC Viewer for your PC/Mac. If your on a Mac, head over to Apple - Downloads - Networking & Security - Chicken of the VNC. Chicken of The VNC is free and a great client. If your on a PC, then head over to RealVNC - VNC Viewer Free Edition 4.1 for Windows. VNC Viewer is free and does everything you need.

Once you've installed either of these clients, you will simply enter the IP address of your iPhone. Once a connection is made you should see your iPhone's screen displayed on your PC/Mac. Your mouse will function as the touch input and your keyboard works great for typing.

Voila, you can now text, watch for calls, take snapshots, record video, whatever your heart desires. The streaming is a little bit choppy but it's better than not having any reception at all. Just think of different ways you can use this setup.

What do you use Veency for? I realize there are many different reasons one would use Veency and it's interesting to see what people are doing. For example, I have a friend who actually has no reception in his work office. He leaves his phone in his car, uses MyWi to create a WiFi network, and with Veency he can sneak onto his iPhone without actually looking like he ever uses his phone. Let's hear your story.

Veency Package Details
    Repo: Tangelo (Saurik)
    Version: 0.9.3197-1
    Author: Jay Freeman (saurik)

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Nick Hesson For This Useful Post:

fatrixcartmen111 (08-19-2010), iNT3Rv3NTiONZz (08-14-2010), lightmaster (08-14-2010), macsoldier (08-16-2010), Mateor (08-15-2010), MaxRabbit (08-14-2010), posrjak (08-15-2010), reaves205 (08-14-2010), son_of_satan666 (08-15-2010), yonsta (08-14-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Eagleye's Avatar
    Thanks

I do pretty much the same. I get no reception in my office because its all steel and concrete, but if I place my phone by the window across the room I can get full bars. Works great! Another thing I do is at school I keep my phone in my pocket on wifi and can use my laptop to check text messages with the prof thinking im still taking notes and not texting... lol. The only thing I would like though would be to be able to use the built-in mic and speakers to recieve and make calls over veency while in the office. That would be awesome.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Eagleye For This Useful Post:

djnikk (08-14-2010), hackint0uch (08-14-2010), Mr. Quackers (08-14-2010), Nick Hesson (08-14-2010), reanimationxp (08-14-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life iNT3Rv3NTiONZz's Avatar
    Thanks

Lol this is so ideal I don't get signal in my room but do around my house, also you could set up a cheek microphone and speaker set up nxt to the fone and were tour sitting so you can make calls whilst being nowhere near the phone!!! Thank-you

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleye View Post
    I do pretty much the same. I get no reception in my office because its all steel and concrete, but if I place my phone by the window across the room I can get full bars. Works great! Another thing I do is at school I keep my phone in my pocket on wifi and can use my laptop to check text messages with the prof thinking im still taking notes and not texting... lol. The only thing I would like though would be to be able to use the built-in mic and speakers to recieve and make calls over veency while in the office. That would be awesome.
    Great Idea!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    If you're on os x leopard or higher there's no reason to get Chicken of the Vnc. Just type vnc://youripaddress into safari

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to diemer For This Useful Post:

havoc0351 (08-16-2010), Kyle Matthews (08-14-2010), Nick Hesson (08-14-2010)

Thanks

I occasionally use Veency, but not very often because there is no way to press the home or power button, if there was I might actually use it

10. The Following User Says Thank You to whereswaldo For This Useful Post:

PWNsyst3m (08-14-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me wolverinemarky's Avatar
    Thanks

wow that sounds pretty cool im gonna do that when i get my iphone 4

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wolverinemarky View Post
    wow that sounds pretty cool im gonna do that when i get my iphone 4
    You wont be able to, it will come with 4.0.2 so you cant jailbreak it

My iPhone is a Part of Me wolverinemarky's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    You wont be able to, it will come with 4.0.2 so you cant jailbreak it
    guess we will have to wait and see i already ordered it on apple.com suppose to arrive on the 26th

Green Apple
    Thanks
    couldnt get the controls to work at all. cool idea. but very limited implementation.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    I occasionally use Veency, but not very often because there is no way to press the home or power button, if there was I might actually use it
    Hi
    It's the scroll button and the right click button of your mouse

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to yzqpc For This Useful Post:

-_- (08-14-2010), havoc0351 (08-16-2010), Jaredude (08-14-2010), kingbijan (08-15-2010), ProZack27 (08-16-2010)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

This is funny. People are so bent on keeping their iPhones, even when they can't use them. This is quite the workaround to make a call lol. Glad mine works where I am at, would hate to have to VNC to my roof-mounted iPhone, while running a signal amplifier on full-moon nights and then sacrificing virgins to please the ATT gods.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eg6motion For This Useful Post:

fatrixcartmen111 (08-19-2010), iNT3Rv3NTiONZz (08-15-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me delusion950's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eg6motion View Post
    This is funny. People are so bent on keeping their iPhones, even when they can't use them. This is quite the workaround to make a call lol. Glad mine works where I am at, would hate to have to VNC to my roof-mounted iPhone, while running a signal amplifier on full-moon nights and then sacrificing virgins to please the ATT gods.
    lol

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Mouse misalignment? So I got this to work (Thank you kindly, sir!) But when it is running my cursor on my computer does not match the cursor on the iphone any fix for this?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SI51 View Post
    Mouse misalignment? So I got this to work (Thank you kindly, sir!) But when it is running my cursor on my computer does not match the cursor on the iphone any fix for this?
    Ive seen to have the same problem but the vnc screen on my pc is just black anyone with help?

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Borsato92 For This Useful Post:

jacobthejokester (08-15-2010)

Thanks
    It looks like it's just a scale issue. Should work fine with the older iPhone/iTouch resolutions, but since the iphone 4 is effectively scaled up, only the top left corner will match. Otherwise, when the black square is at the middle (horizontally), the actual cursor will be way at the bottom. So, yeah, looks like a simple mouse scaling issue.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

So this would be great for those of us who arent supposed to use our phone at work. Plug it in and put it away to use on our screen instead but what about those of us at work that dont have adminisrator access to install a client? Is there a web based client or another creative solution.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

(on pc) right clicking the screen is home button, at least on tightvnc that works

Thanks
    I just get a black screen when I use RealVNC to connect to my iPod Touch. I can see everything I'm doing on my iPod, but the VNC window is blank. So yeah.

My iPhone is a Part of Me JazJon's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MannerRev View Post
    It looks like it's just a scale issue. Should work fine with the older iPhone/iTouch resolutions, but since the iphone 4 is effectively scaled up, only the top left corner will match. Otherwise, when the black square is at the middle (horizontally), the actual cursor will be way at the bottom. So, yeah, looks like a simple mouse scaling issue.
    Yup, the mouse-cursor is way off on the iPhone 4. Can someone contact the developer to see if an update is on the way?

Also, what is the best Insomnia app to keep WiFi active while using vvnc? If WiFi disconnects, we can't connect remotely obviously. Is Insomnia 4.0 ready? (havnt used it since last year)
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...1#post10838243
    Last edited by JazJon; 08-14-2010 at 05:20 PM.

+ Reply
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast