+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Carmack Demos Rage on iPhone 4 at 60 fps

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keu4GiTGQ6M]YouTube - RAGE 60fps demo on iPhone 4 by John Carmack[/ame] John Carmack, prolific game programmer and the technical director of id Software, demoed the upcoming game Rage on an
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Carmack Demos Rage on iPhone 4 at 60 fps
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keu4GiTGQ6M]YouTube - RAGE 60fps demo on iPhone 4 by John Carmack[/ame]

John Carmack, prolific game programmer and the technical director of id Software, demoed the upcoming game Rage on an iPhone 4 during his keynote speech at the QuakeCon 2010 conference this week. Carmack said that he had created the demo, which ran at an impressive 60 frames per second, to make people go "oh my god, look at this." The ultimately released iPhone version of the game will run at a more modest framerate, and a "show-off" edition will be on the App Store this year ahead of the planned 2011 release of the title on consoles and PCs.

Carmack had praise for the iPhone's promise as a gaming platform, saying it was able to "kill anything done on a previous generation console - like an Xbox or PS2 - with the hardware that's there." Despite lacking tactile feedback and other features of cutting edge consoles, Carmack said, the iPhone was an example of the future direction the gaming industry was going in. "It's not as powerful as current generation consoles, but it's not that far off," he said. The iPhone game will use id Software's proprietary megatexure technology, but Carmack indicated that the frame rate in the final game would be lower than the 60 fps shown in the demo, which he said took him about two weeks to create. The framerate of the actual game, according to Carmack, will be close to the framerate of Doom Classic, but better than Doom Resurrection.

Rage is id's first new major game series in the almost fifteen years since Quake came out. Carmack had said in an interview with Official PlayStation Magazine ahead of QuakeCon that id Software was unlikely to create any new franchises for many years to come. "We do already have more IPs (intellectual properties) than we can exploit," he said. "I doubt we're going to do another IP. It's scary to say it, but maybe not in the next decade even, because we want to support Wolfenstein, Doom Quake - and hopefully we can add Rage onto that - and I don't want five teams here. Three is scary enough."

Source: CNet
    Last edited by Paul Daniel Ash; 08-14-2010 at 10:48 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

Jahooba (08-14-2010)

fasih fawad
    ty for info

Thanks

I though only Apple could make Keynote speaches?!
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whereswaldo For This Useful Post:

Shishir G (08-14-2010), skater38053 (08-14-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Hopefully Apple will fix the crap video card drivers by the time Rage comes out. Carmack could probably make them work awesomely now though. Can't wait for Rage to come out, looks awesome.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,678 Times in 829 Posts

Rage is coming out September 15th, 2011, and I think I heard them say that the iPhone version is coming out before that sometime, so expect a Summer 2011 release on this (but don't hold your breath, id is famous for a 'when it's done' development timeframe, so expect delays!).

Thanks

I'm at loss of words. Amazing.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

My iPhone is a Part of Me exNavy's Avatar
    Thanks

Call me crazy but I found this demo insanely boring. We walked around a couple rooms and some guys waved their arms.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KartRacer View Post
    Hopefully Apple will fix the crap video card drivers by the time Rage comes out. Carmack could probably make them work awesomely now though. Can't wait for Rage to come out, looks awesome.
    Carmack doesn't work on the Mac version. That would be Asypr Media.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Thanks

Lol^^^^^^ same here

Quote Originally Posted by plumoso View Post
    Lol^^^^^^ same here
    Exnavy
    Last edited by plumoso; 08-14-2010 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Thanks

has potential !!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Eagleye's Avatar
    Thanks

Pretty sweet. The textures and lighting of the game look much better than most games now. Definitely has potential. If this is what were doing now on the iphone... i cant wait for whats coming in the next couple of years...

Green Apple
    Thanks
    looks like a good game.

iPhone? More like MyPhone madczech's Avatar
    Thanks

nice
    I don't give a damn about Chuck Norris, Spongebob can grill under water!

My iPhone is a Part of Me King Shady's Avatar
    Thanks

Halo Reach needs to be made for iPhone 4 lol
    ]

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

anybody else think the demo sucks?
    Lag hurts a FPS more than anything else.

Green Apple
    Thanks

They should use the gyroscope for turning and looking around. then tilt for moving. If apple would let them override the sound controls then shooting would be perfect too.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by awesomeSlayer View Post
    Carmack doesn't work on the Mac version. That would be Asypr Media.
    They are working on every system release in-house. Carmack boasted about having a setup where he could put the data in a system and it would spit out versions for the PC, Mac, Xbox and PS3 in their native format. Aspyr Media won't have anything to do with the development of this game and won't port it to any system. Don't know where you got that information, Carmack hasn't said anything about an outside studio writing his code. id Software is doing all the work.

Quote Originally Posted by John Carmack

The target that we had, we knew when we were starting this generation of technology that the consoles were taking over the preeminence for the types of games we’d been making—the AAA media-rich blockbusters were on the consoles. We needed a solution that would be portable across 360, PS3, PC, and OS X, but we didn’t want to abandon our PC roots. And we have enough Apple boosters internally that the Mac remains a platform that we have some fondness for.

On a technical level, we had to make design decisions that would let us target all of these platforms, very importantly, from a single source-base, and developed [that] internally. We didn’t want to have to go out to any other companies to produce these games. We wanted to say OK, here’s the build and run the same build on the PC, the 360, and the PS3. We still have to go through one extra step to build it on the Mac. But it really does work that way on the other [console] platforms. Right now, you check the stuff in, the next day you get the build reports, which says, “here it is [ready to go] on these three platforms.” So that’s one of the core technical aspects.
    Full interview here
    Last edited by KartRacer; 08-15-2010 at 12:29 AM.

Thanks

Nice, now if only I had lots of money to invest in making a pocket size controller for the iphone! :P
    mod edit/links removed