Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: About Those VeriPhone Rumors...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    You can throw the word "ignorant" around all you want man. Why not back it with a statement other than "do your research"? How hard would it be for you to sum up why CDMA is a good idea in the US? Why don't YOU enlighten us?
    lol, classic bait and switch. Not sure if you were actually asking or just trying to get a reaction, but thanks. And I'm sure I would be happy to if I had them right in front of me, but it's been a couple months since I have had to do the research myself and there is a LOT of information on the differences between them. If you are honestly that interested in the information, send me a PM and I'll find what I have on it. Always happy to help inform.

One thing about forums and our 'news' is that most of it is half truths based on a small bit of fact and then extrapolated to mean what we want it to. For instance, 'unlocking' a CDMA phone kinda doesn't exist in the conventional sense. It's not like GSM where you just pop a SIM card in and the carrier information is already there. With CDMA the settings are programmed into the phone from the carrier and would need to be updated with each carrier you go to. Most won't even take a device from another company. And if a company has never carried that particular device, chances are they will not have the exact programming to have the phone work accurately for that device. You may get lucky, but there's a higher probability that you won't.

Proud to be an Apple user since 1990... at the age of 4.

who the **** is john gruber! is he a god or what.. i always see his name everywhere..

seriously..

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper Sam View Post
    China has an enormous base of CDMA users. That market alone would make it a good business decision.
    That was what I was going to point out. China has the biggest market for cell phones and majority of China is on CDMA. So ya maybe verizon will get the i4. But what makes me thinking no for Verizon is the difference in CDMA band from China. Also I'm sure Apple wouldn't just make a special i4 for just Verizon.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

So what happens to AT&T when the iPhone goes free? Better network service due to decreased load and strain on their network? Or financial troubles from all the people that will jump ship? Lower prices for competition purposes perhaps?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RICO_ View Post
    So what happens to AT&T when the iPhone goes free? Better network service due to decreased load and strain on their network? Or financial troubles from all the people that will jump ship? Lower prices for competition purposes perhaps?
    Chances are at the start not a whole lot. I'm sure a lot of people would love to jump ship from AT&T and take their iPhones with them to a company like Verizon or other similar carrier, but for some that just won't be possible. In some markets, Verizon does not have the authorization to sell their service. Also, no matter how many people complain, there are a good portion of those that are doing it because that's what everyone else is doing as well. Seems strange, but that's part of the consumer world for you. I think if a change happens, it won't be immediate.

Proud to be an Apple user since 1990... at the age of 4.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to J_Marley For This Useful Post:

PSYC0TIC ONE (08-13-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Doesn't sprint run CDMA also? Wouldn't that be a shocker if all this CDMA talk was for a sprint phone not a verizon

iPhone? More like MyPhone DayumQuitPlayin's Avatar
    Thanks

I'd prefer if Sprint gets the iPhone. So far they have the best plans and it would certainly help them since they seem to be struggling. I highly doubt everyone would jump to Verizon. Verizon is notorious for their over-priced rates and figuring since AT&T has had the iPhone for years, Verizone isn't too experienced with dealing with the demand of iPhones and data. Voice and Data isn't possible on Verizon's network and that's a key selling point with the iPhone. It's going to be interesting to see how they would manage that. LTE technology isn't available yet to. Aside from all this, I'm really looking forward to the competitive rates! Sadly, I'm locked into AT&T for two more years.

This was prob the most detail oriented of all the rumor stories. And actually bearable to read. Thanks dan

omigod a verizon rumor with sources!?!?!?!?!?! o yeah.....it wasn't messany

11. The Following User Says Thank You to leathelisor For This Useful Post:

h2a (08-14-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone PSYC0TIC ONE's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by J_Marley View Post
    Chances are at the start not a whole lot. I'm sure a lot of people would love to jump ship from AT&T and take their iPhones with them to a company like Verizon or other similar carrier, but for some that just won't be possible. In some markets, Verizon does not have the authorization to sell their service. Also, no matter how many people complain, there are a good portion of those that are doing it because that's what everyone else is doing as well. Seems strange, but that's part of the consumer world for you. I think if a change happens, it won't be immediate.
    Amen homie... couldn't have said it better myself...

Livin the iPhone Life Bluemoldycheeze88's Avatar
    Thanks

IMO, if they open it up to Verizon they should open it up to T-Mobile and Sprint.

I personally don't think they will offer it with a non GSM carrier. That being said the latest rumor is that Verizon is going to eventually stop carrying RIM products and keep pumping their Droid Devices.

EDIT - If a CDMA phone were to surface I'm pretty sure apple wouldn't be happy with people flashing their devices and using it on metro pcs
    Last edited by Bluemoldycheeze88; 08-13-2010 at 08:31 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone salayyad's Avatar
    Thanks

its hard to believe. the way verizon is throwing its weight behind the whole Droid name just seems like they are in bed with android. I dunno would be interesting to see if anything ever pans out.. Im starting to get sick of these rumors though. its been 2 years of specualtion but it would be good to be on more carriers. i think everyone should have an option to get this phone.

Bring it to sprint instead!

Quote Originally Posted by SMokemyPole88 View Post
    IMO, if they open it up to Verizon they should open it up to T-Mobile and Sprint.

I personally don't think they will offer it with a non GSM carrier. That being said the latest rumor is that Verizon is going to eventually stop carrying RIM products and keep pumping their Droid Devices.

EDIT - If a CDMA phone were to surface I'm pretty sure apple wouldn't be happy with people flashing their devices and using it on metro pcs
    Why would they care if you flash the phone to metro or other services they are still getting paid no matter what.
    Last edited by Sk8r789456; 08-13-2010 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Considering how much Google and Verizon have been collaborating I'm not sure if Verizon would even want the iPhone. Android is growing pretty fast (it runs on more phones than iOS) and may even surpass iOS at some point in the near future. Plus, iPhone users use a lot of data. Could Verizon's network even handle the iPhone?

On another note, I would be glad if Verizon got the iPhone. AT&T users, like myself, would have more bandwidth and people would finally realize that AT&T is actually a better network (in terms of speed and stability).

Thanks

I believe it when I see it. Cause this rumor been around for coupe years

Quote Originally Posted by Nielsenius View Post
    Considering how much Google and Verizon have been collaborating I'm not sure if Verizon would even want the iPhone. Android is growing pretty fast (it runs on more phones than iOS) and may even surpass iOS at some point in the near future. Plus, iPhone users use a lot of data. Could Verizon's network even handle the iPhone?

On another note, I would be glad if Verizon got the iPhone. AT&T users, like myself, would have more bandwidth and people would finally realize that AT&T is actually a better network (in terms of speed and stability).
    Agreed, Verizon has publicly bashed ATT and Apple, In my eyes apple should just let verizon suffer with only the androids.

But in a business mind, for the iPhone to work on T-Mobile, they'd simply just have to change the radio chip, then that same device will work on BOTH att and T-Mobile

But then again alot of companies offer devices for both CDMA and GSM, and considering Apple is trying to expand and take over the entire smartphone market, having a CDMA and GSM phone would make plenty of sense.

BUT it just says apple is losing its exclusivness, which means the iPhone doesn't just have to go to one more carrier, they could release it on verizon and t-mobile and it would make sense. It wouldn't cost any more money to make the iphone 4 compatible with T-mobiles network (and its already a t-mobile exclusive in other countries) , and with the huge market of verizon customers and china, making a cdma phone makes sense.

The biggest fault by apple was giving the iPhone to only one service provider, ANY provider would have crashed due to that amount of usage, but divided across 3 or 4 different carrier, the iPhone could officially take over everything.
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Once the exclusivity agreement expires they could manufacture a T-Mobile version alongside the AT&T version... just with a different baseband chip to include the other 3G frequency.
    That would be awesome! I never had a dropped call on T-Mobile, but ever since I switched to AT&T I've had 4 or 5 of them. The upside though is I get more bars and I have 3G almost everywhere I go.

Either t mobile or verizon apple goes for companies that dominate and have stability and a wide area of coverage sprint comes no where near that sprint isn't even a "big" company. Apples last choice would be them apple wants popular not poor

Here in Canada, Bell and Telus, who both run CDMA networks are already offering the iphone and have been since the 3GS came out. So, I'd be more willing to bet that instead of lobbying Apple for a CDMA version, Verizon has been adding the equipment required to support GSM devices on their network

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I'm hoping Verizon gets the iPhone next year, no one I know has ever had anything bad to say about there service even though it might cost more, I switched my 3GS over to T-Mobile the other day, couldn't stand the horrible AT&T service in my area any longer, T-Mobile might suck just as much but for $30 less I'd rather deal with there bad service

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast