+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 46 of 46

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: EU Gets Involved with FTC's Probe Into Apple's Rejection of Flash

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by sziklassy Simple. It is the principal of the matter. They are still locked out from the VAST majority of iPhone users if they just release it in
...
  1. #41
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Right behind you!!
    Posts
    163
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 21 Times in 16 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    Simple. It is the principal of the matter. They are still locked out from the VAST majority of iPhone users if they just release it in Cyrdia. THey want NO restrictions, as it SHOULD be. Whether flash is good or bad isn;t even the argument here. It is simply the principle of the matter now.
    Please show proof of "VAST" numbers wanting flash on iphone. Not one person I know with an iphone has mentioned the no flash issue.
    And as for principle, isn't apple allowed to choose what runs best on its device? Or do they have to allow substandard rubbish on their stuff just because you say so. Since when has communism taken over the IT world?
    As for restrictions, how about the proprietary nature of flash. You have to buy, then use THEIR tools to code and it can only be played on THEIR player, isn't that restrictive? That's closed. ios is closed, flash is closed. You say apple should be forced to allow open coding without restrictions ("as it SHOULD be") on their os when adobe don't allow open coding for flash? WTF? Bit one sided! "SHOULD"n't adobe allow it's tools to be open and without restrictions TOO? Why haven't I been allowed something other than flash player to play embedded web content on my browser for years then????? You can't demand for one platform to be cracked opened while standing behind a closed system. Hypocritical don't you think?

    After reading your posts it's quite clear your love of flash over the iphone, so why not get a phone with flash then?

    As your argument bites the dust and you choose to focus on flawed, biased principles, you still can't overlook the failure of flash on mobile devices, it's power draining and cpu hogging incompetence and its unresolved security risks that have plagued it for years. I'm sorry you can't get over it, but it ain't gonna happen so move along or get another device that will allow you to play your little flash games. You have a choice you know! Something we haven't had with embedded web content for years with the total flash dominance,........ until now. Bye bye flash.
    Last edited by Tyronal; 08-11-2010 at 08:46 AM.

  2. #42
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    1,136
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 87 Times in 71 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyronal View Post
    Please show proof of "VAST" numbers wanting flash on iphone. Not one person I know with an iphone has mentioned the no flash issue.
    The fact that most websites uses flash in one way or another, the fact that many of these programmer also have iPhones. The fact that there is enough demand for it that someone wrote frash. The fact the original poster + me and many of my friends wants it. The fact Adobe sees iPhone market big enough that they are willing to fight for them.
    Who would not want to have the option of use flash? Yes it may not work well, but there is a time when you wish you can use it maybe it was an emergency. I know I had an emergency and I need to find the address, but the website using flash I can not even get out of opening screen for other options to search. Freaking had to call someone to get on the website to find the address for me, I know I wished I had it then.
    And to the people who keep bringing up html5 and all this other software that works better than flash. How many websites is using it right now? I would love to do this option can you give me a date when this is going to happen? Since you say flash is going to be a memory hog + wears down battery and such, what is there to guarantee that html5 and all these other options do not do the same? Most importantly where is it on my iPhone???
    I know Adobe will release something for iPhone right when Jobs gives the nod, I would not be able to say the same for the "other options".
    Last edited by unison999; 08-11-2010 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Add new info

  3. #43
    Mes
    Mes is offline
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    8,025
    Thanks
    102
    Thanked 788 Times in 731 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
    ...They are still their own os and only able to be put on 1 piece of hardware...

    Nobody owns the iOS but Apple...
    Actually MacOS and Apples newly named iOS are not new. Not even close! What's new is the hardware and to a lesser extent the GUI. The great OS's are just derivites of Unix developed 30+ years ago. Much of the basic MacOS still uses open-source and hardware-independant code. The pieces Apple writes from scratch are Apples' sole and complete control. Hardware dependancies are a part of all OS's. Some are more or less restrictive than others. Apple (and many others) have consistently taken open-source code, slightly modified it, then claim originality and exclusivity. I know this as a fact ... I was part of the original Unix dev team. It is VERY EASY to find original 30+ year-old Unix code in every MacOS, iOS, *ux, Ubuntu, etc, etc.

  4. #44
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Right behind you!!
    Posts
    163
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 21 Times in 16 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    The fact that most websites uses flash in one way or another, the fact that many of these programmer also have iPhones. The fact that there is enough demand for it that someone wrote frash. The fact the original poster + me and many of my friends wants it. The fact Adobe sees iPhone market big enough that they are willing to fight for them.
    Who would not want to have the option of use flash? Yes it may not work well, but there is a time when you wish you can use it maybe it was an emergency. I know I had an emergency and I need to find the address, but the website using flash I can not even get out of opening screen for other options to search. Freaking had to call someone to get on the website to find the address for me, I know I wished I had it then.
    And to the people who keep bringing up html5 and all this other software that works better than flash. How many websites is using it right now? I would love to do this option can you give me a date when this is going to happen? Since you say flash is going to be a memory hog + wears down battery and such, what is there to guarantee that html5 and all these other options do not do the same? Most importantly where is it on my iPhone???
    I know Adobe will release something for iPhone right when Jobs gives the nod, I would not be able to say the same for the "other options".
    Nobody's holding a gun to your head so why not get a phone that does what you want instead of jumping up and down like chimp and going on a childish rant? And what sites do you speak of that are so important to you that it HAS to be viewed on the phone, not on your pc? And how incredibly inconvenient to have to use the phone, as a phone and ask for an address, OMG this is a horrible injustice. Call the U.N. Oh please, I'm over all the ranting "I want I want I want". Build a bridge and get over it, flash on iphone=never. Get a life and take your rants to people who care. Adobe haven't coded flash for iphone and by their standards it would take 2 years to do so. Where's flash for windows mobile? A fully functioning flash!! How about you go to adobe and ask for flash code and go off and write a version for the iphone. Oh wait, it's a closed standard, you won't be allowed to. OOPS! Go away, have a try of flash on any other mobile device and then come back and tell me it's worth having. Would you be happy to have your battery die in a couple of hours viewing flash and/or have the browser crash while running flash? I bet you'd jump up and down come here write a rant and call for the death of jobs. Sell your terrible iphone and buy something else. You DO have a choice you know!!!
    Last edited by Tyronal; 08-11-2010 at 03:35 PM.

  5. #45
    Mes
    Mes is offline
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    8,025
    Thanks
    102
    Thanked 788 Times in 731 Posts

    Why is the response always 'You have a choice!!' when someone presents a logical and rational reason for supporting flash?

    I know why .... they're mesmerized by the Apple spin-machine and can't see the forest for the trees (Hahaha
    Last edited by Mes; 08-11-2010 at 03:49 PM.

  6. #46
    iPhoneaholic
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    356
    Thanks
    102
    Thanked 22 Times in 21 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by crisco9071 View Post
    I could really care less now.
    That means you care a lot.
    Perhaps what you meant to say was "I couldN'T really care less now" ?
    Hardly rocket science.

+ Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts