+ Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: EU Gets Involved with FTC's Probe Into Apple's Rejection of Flash

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
I think it would be great to get flash on iDevices, without having to use a 3rd party buggy software.
    Livin the iPhone Life Bluemoldycheeze88's Avatar
    Thanks

I think it would be great to get flash on iDevices, without having to use a 3rd party buggy software.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluemoldycheeze88 For This Useful Post:

Shishir G (08-10-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cypherpunk View Post
    ********. If Apple are the only problem here, then why hasn't Adobe released a version of Flash in Cydia? They don't need Apple's approval for that.
    Are they perhaps worried that it wouldn't perform to people's expectations? I've already seen Flash on Android 2.2, and while it's better than Frash on the iPhone, it's still nowhere near comparable to the desktop version, to the point of being almost unusable on many sites.

And anyone who says Adobe has a history of "encouraging the interoperability of technology" hasn't got their head screwed on straight.
    I've been asking that question in the last 2 years!

p.s. Flash is only good on windows as it crashes less. Whats the point?
    Last edited by WilliamO7; 08-10-2010 at 02:45 PM.
    <My REAL Signature

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SMokemyPole88 View Post
    I think it would be great to get flash on any devices, without having to use a 1st party buggy software.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by torrent82 View Post
    Speaking of technology interoperability, how about allowing Mac OS X on a PC ? And I don't mean the whole hackintosh thing or all those distros where you have to do the whole hit-and-miss thing until you get it working and then as soon as an update pops up if you update it all crashes. I mean being able to pop in the original Mac OS X disk and it working out of the box...
    Another Question! Whats wrong with you Apple???!!!!
    <My REAL Signature

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

^^Because Apple wants users having great user experience.
    I believe all those people defending monopoly also used excuse like this.

My iPhone is a Part of Me hogcia's Avatar
    Thanks

iPhone 4 needs flash now!!!!

My iPhone is a Part of Me politicalslug's Avatar
    Thanks

Frash is a perfect example of why flash shouldn't be incorporated into Safari. I'm fine with flash having it's own app though, but they'd have to include their own browser as well in order to maintain sandboxing and prevent the OS from crashing. In fact, flash sites in Safari, when tapped, could open up the flash app and display the flash that way. That would be an excellent solution.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I'm al for open devices and user modding but if I made a product and chose for whatever reason to not include something I wouldn't want govermant commissions doing crap like this to me

My iPhone is a Part of Me area51crypto's Avatar
    Thanks

Well I predict that Apple will get ripped big time from the EU

Apple and Steve Jobs do not have any political clout with the EU and Eu don't like a$$holes like Steve Jobs and Bill Gates and Bill Gates will testify to that!

Previously Known as A.T MetallicaFan1991's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kraziebone View Post
    For all those who dont want to do the whole manual install for frash, benm has added it to their repo. If your interested add this to cydia sources: repo.benm.at - there is also a nice frash toggle in sbsettings

It works really well by the way
    Sweet, thanks dude, I didn't really know how to get Frash on my iPhone, just hope YouTube works and I can view ALL videos through Safari as the iPhone YouTube pretty much sucks tbh.

Also to the Flash haters, Flash sucks on Apple OS but it works fine on my 4 year old Pentium 4 PC but Flash crashes my 2.66Ghz C2D MBP a lot. (stupid rainbow spinning ball )

MBP 15" 2.66Ghz Core 2 Duo Nvidia 9400M 9600GT 256MB OS X 10.6.4 Windows 7 June 2009
    iPhone 4 August 28th

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Ooooh poor Apple. I feel soooo sorry for them. They just might be forced to treat their iDevices with phone capabilities like they truly are ... a mini-computer with phone capabilities . Most people use it like a computer. Apples 200K+ applications prove it's a computer. Thank goodness someone is looking into Apples highly restrictive policies and their spin-machine propaganda.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

I think that since iOS is Apple's software they can do what they want. Sort of like the catagory of console units and they have control of what goes into the os and what doesn't.

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
    I think that since iOS is Apple's software they can do what they want....
    If that were the case, then this assumption should apply to Microsoft, Adobe, and the likes. iOS is just a customized stripped version of MacOS X just like Windows mobile is derived from Windows.

Thanks

Bull****. If Apple are the only problem here, then why hasn't Adobe released a version of Flash in Cydia? They don't need Apple's approval for that.
    Are they perhaps worried that it wouldn't perform to people's expectations? I've already seen Flash on Android 2.2, and while it's better than Frash on the iPhone, it's still nowhere near comparable to the desktop version, to the point of being almost unusable on many sites.

And anyone who says Adobe has a history of "encouraging the interoperability of technology" hasn't got their head screwed on straight.
    Are you acting like a moron or kidding around?
    Why the hell would Adobe release their software in Cydia, that would just ruin their whole reputation.
    Adobe's not gonna do all that **** load of work making flash compatible with iDevices just to get rejected by Apple again, so until Steve Jobs clearly says "Adobe we will allow you to put flash on our devices, get to work" Adobe's not gonna do ****.
    So stop whining.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    If that were the case, then this assumption should apply to Microsoft, Adobe, and the likes. iOS is just a customized stripped version of MacOS X just like Windows mobile is derived from Windows.
    Not fully. They are still their own os and only able to be put on 1 piece of hardware. Sony and Microsoft have an OS that can only be used on 1 hardware design and they dictate what can go and not go on the consoles.

Nobody owns the iOS but Apple. You own the hardware and lease the OS. The problem then is that you can't do much with the hardware because it was made for 1 OS. Much like the consoles, you own hardware but lease OS.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cer0 View Post
    I think that since iOS is Apple's software they can do what they want. Sort of like the catagory of console units and they have control of what goes into the os and what doesn't.
    Yes, locking iOS is fine, but they have to allow 3rd party apps not approved by Apple to install. That is what this is going after. Let people have the choice to install software they want onto their iDevice.
    Argument about going Cydia way is invalid, in order to have Cydia it must be JB. Even though JB and unlock is legal now, JB voids warranty. People who do not want to void their warranty would not have access to something they want.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by macsoldier View Post
    If apple would be straight forward and tell everybody why they aren't using flash I wouldnt be so skeptical about it.
    Well I believe Jobs wrote an open letter explaining this. Google Jobs on flash.

For anyone who doesn't understand the technical side of it, flash is a bloated, unsecured web plugin that renders video or script inside your browser. It uses cpu resources and battery life well over the need for a plugin. It's like running an app inside an app. Flash crashes on linux and OSX are well known and to be perfectly honest, I hate it. Adobe have had a protected ride for a very long time thanks to MS pushing it out on every OS since windows 95. Flash on your browser opens up a great big hole into your computer system just waiting for a hacker to enter without your knowledge.

Now we have better technology that works using the browser itself to render content (html5, css script etc), no bloated plugin that hogs cpu and drains battery life. That's more efficient and far more secure. I can't understand how the EU could be questioning apple on anti competitive practice when MS and adobe have been doing this for decades. They killed netscape for cryin out loud. I don't trust adobe to code anything stable, oh it may look stable, but it's not. Ongoing (several years of) security issues with flash and acrobat should make anyone shudder.

My friend has a macbook pro and she watches flash video on video shack every night. The fan kicks in at full bore and her battery is dead in 2 hours. She had to replace her battery within 2 years well under the life span. A tech friend told her, "yep, flash will fry your battery very quickly".

You'll get a lot of flash fanboys here sticking up for flash because they just love playing free flash games, but honestly, they're living in the past. It's time to enter the 21st century not hold on to old and crappy technology. Like the floppy disc, flash will eventually follow, because adobe are lazy and arrogant. Ask any linux guy what they think of flash.

I don't use it on my linux machine anymore and if I was making a device, I wouldn't want flash on it either.
    Last edited by Tyronal; 08-10-2010 at 06:49 PM.

Thanks

^^^^^^^^
    what he said....cause I'm way too tired....death to flash, it's old, bloated, a power hog, insecure, unstable on all but one platform(so if interoperability is a priority I'd get on that adobe ;-) ) and in general an outdated closes POS...move along people...HTML 5 + CSS + JS are on the way!!!

Thanks

OK, Adobe made Flash on Mac perform like a piece of crap. Flash on iPhone? Oh god... Why does the iPhone need Flash? It is just gonna eat your RAM, open up vulnerabilities, and eat your battery.

What's the point of getting involved? It's their device and operating system, not yours. They can reject anything they want.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Bull****. If Apple are the only problem here, then why hasn't Adobe released a version of Flash in Cydia? They don't need Apple's approval for that.

Simple. It is the principal of the matter. They are still locked out from the VAST majority of iPhone users if they just release it in Cyrdia. THey want NO restrictions, as it SHOULD be. Whether flash is good or bad isn;t even the argument here. It is simply the principle of the matter now.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings