Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T Makes Telling Revelation to the SEC

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,481 Times in 567 Posts

Default AT&T Makes Telling Revelation to the SEC

It's one thing when "sources" indicate that AT&T will end exclusivity agreements for prominent smartphones, but its another when AT&T references that possibility itself. That's exactly what's happened in the carrier's latest filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

AT&T stated that the company would continue to thrive long after its exclusive agreements expire, a suggestion that is certainly raising eyebrows as this is a significant indicator that AT&T may soon break its exclusive grip on several hugely popular smartphones - one of which is near and dear to this community, although the iPhone was not referenced by name.

"Offering a number of attractive handsets on an exclusive basis distinguishes us from our competitors," AT&T's filing states. "As these exclusivity arrangements end, we expect to continue to offer such handsets (based on historical industry practice), and we believe our service plan offerings will help to retain our customers by providing incentives not to move to a new carrier."

Apple Insider reported that Steven Fox, analyst with CLSA, thinks AT&T's comments come as a means to "prepare investors for the end of exclusivity of the iPhone." He called the comments "significant new language about exclusivity," which most likely is directed at the iPhone.

Apple Insider

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

Joseph_Prophet (08-12-2010), k.nitsua (08-10-2010), reaves205 (08-10-2010), soulthoughts (08-10-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Really doesn't matter now anyways, jailbreak and unlock is now legal the phones is being used on other network with or without their permission. So that exclusivity is by name only. Only significance is that it may get on CDMA networks, so that may make me switch next year.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to unison999 For This Useful Post:

area51crypto (08-10-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Well, I guess we can at least be thankful this wasn't titled "ATT admits exclusivity contract will soon be over"

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    Really doesn't matter now anyways, jailbreak and unlock is now legal the phones is being used on other network with or without their permission. So that exclusivity is by name only. Only significance is that it may get on CDMA networks, so that may make me switch next year.
    LOL that was always EVER the only significance.
    Last edited by sziklassy; 08-10-2010 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

My iPhone is a Part of Me iLoveWindows&iPhone's Avatar
    Thanks

Ha here we go again!

Well I can't lie. If Verizon got the iPhone 4 I'd jump aboard as soon as it was jailbroken.

I like AT&T but the lack of 3G coverage in my area and the fact that almost all my friends and family have Verizon makes the switch sensible for someone in my position.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to LastSonOfKrypton For This Useful Post:

area51crypto (08-10-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    Well, I guess we can at least be thankful this wasn't titled "ATT admits exclusivity contract will soon be over"

LOL that was always EVER the only significance.
    I think the subsidies were pretty important too! Especially if we have to start paying $600 for the same iPhone 4 that we were able to buy before for $200!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bzpilot For This Useful Post:

k.nitsua (08-10-2010)

Come on sprint

120 dollar bill is a little old!
    Last edited by trialnterror; 08-10-2010 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

12. The Following User Says Thank You to trialnterror For This Useful Post:

Spanky MciPhone (08-10-2010)

competitive plan prices my a**

14. The Following User Says Thank You to aimetti For This Useful Post:

Spanky MciPhone (08-10-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by aimetti View Post
    competitive plan prices my a**
    compared to Verizon, they are slightly cheaper. Verizon is their main competitor, not t-mobile or Sprint.
    Really?

All my family is on verizon but I got AT&T hard choice to make

I think att is right there not going to feel much hurt losing exclusivity of the iphone. Yes people are going to go to verizon if they get the iphone,but not in all areas verizon sucks in oklahoma. Att is about 65 percent of the arkansas/oklahoma cell phone market which leave 35 percent to sprint, us cellular, verizon,cricket, and prepaid customers so needless to say they arent going to feel any hurt in this area. Now places like california from what i heard att is horrible and verizon rules so they would probably hurt a little in areas like these. But i dont know how many people would cancel and pay 325 dollar cancelation fee right off the bat if verizon got the iphone as well.
    Att has lots of great phones and a lot of great features with there rate plans and add ons i am sure each carrier has its perk one way or another but i guess you will just have to way out whats worth it to you. I am a little byist to att because i work there but i also believe in there products not just cell phone service but also there home products as well. I chose att to work for because its hard for me to try and sell anything else in this area and compare it to att and say its better.
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

As soon as you are able to walk out of a Verizon(or other carrier) store with a brand new, fully functional iPhone, AT&T will have to be competitive with their plans to keep cuuent and make new customers. Also, this is a BIG deal to the millions of iPhone users(and those that want one, but not with AT&T). Only a small percentage of buyers will ever JB and unlock their phones.

AT&T has been pissing me off lately.. EVERY month they add me cellular data when i dont even need it. They send me a txt message saying the iphone needs cellular data and that my phone was added to cellular data! and i have to call EVERY TIME for those retards to take it off.. i DID NOT buy the phone from AT&T so what is it their interest in monitoring what kind of phone i use?
    Failure is not an option - iNyuke Dont be afraid to press the Thanks button! >>>>>>>>>>

Quote Originally Posted by inyuke View Post
    AT&T has been pissing me off lately.. EVERY month they add me cellular data when i dont even need it. They send me a txt message saying the iphone needs cellular data and that my phone was added to cellular data! and i have to call EVERY TIME for those retards to take it off.. i DID NOT buy the phone from AT&T so what is it their interest in monitoring what kind of phone i use?
    In att contract starting november 6th all smart phones must have a data plan and in the apple contract as well it says the same thing. Att interest is your money its a business they run a business you have to pay to play.

Quote Originally Posted by defdad View Post
    As soon as you are able to walk out of a Verizon(or other carrier) store with a brand new, fully functional iPhone, AT&T will have to be competitive with their plans to keep cuuent and make new customers. Also, this is a BIG deal to the millions of iPhone users(and those that want one, but not with AT&T). Only a small percentage of buyers will ever JB and unlock their phones.
    They are competitive with verizon go compare the 2 there almost identical. Except att has roll over
    Last edited by Cowboy; 08-10-2010 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

"we believe our service plan offerings will help to retain our customers by providing incentives not to move to a new carrier" incentives like an abusive early termination fee?

i will stick with ATT they have always been great to me, and when i was in california last month i had 3G service the entire time and never had any problem. If Verizon doesnt play ball right I am sure sprint and tmobile will

Quote Originally Posted by inyuke View Post
    LoL.... you have an iPhone with at-t and you HAVE to have data... no choice in the matter. Don't want to pay for a data plan, don't use iPhone on at-t, simple.

No, I doubt Att is going to lose out on millions of dollars for iPhone customers that want to switch

iPhone? More like MyPhone realtimedeath's Avatar
    Thanks

I'll be glad when verizon or somebody else gets iPhone 4. I'm not looking to switch myself. I just know My contacts list of people with iPhones would double easily. I personally would think it is an inevitable growth the iPhone has to undergo either that or verizon would need to support the current model iPhones, of the two which do u think is going to make the change. Hint: it's the iPhone

Livin the iPhone Life Bernie-Mac's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dentalchicken View Post
    "we believe our service plan offerings will help to retain our customers by providing incentives not to move to a new carrier" incentives like an abusive early termination fee?
    You mean like the same one Verizon enacted before AT&T that's $25 more? Cuz I thought they meant rollover minutes and simultaneous voice & data, both of which customers would not have anymore on Verizon.
    Last edited by Bernie-Mac; 08-10-2010 at 12:17 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast