Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Wi-Fi enabled iPhone 3GS Arrives in China Today

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Wi-Fi enabled iPhone 3GS Arrives in China Today

It's a big day for the iPhone in China. Although the world's most populous nation has already been introduced to the global phenomenon that is the Apple smartphone, Monday marks the grand arrival of the iPhone 3GS with Wi-Fi.

On Friday, China Unicom revealed that beginning today, the large Chinese telecom operator will introduce an 8-gig iPhone 3GS with Wi-Fi capability. As it stands, both 16 and 32 gig models will also be available, but without Wi-Fi capability.

Before the iPhone was formally rolled out in China last fall, the Chinese government effectively outlawed the IEEE 802.11 Wi-Fi standard as a means for pushing its preferred WAPI standard. This spring, however, China backed away from its stringent policy and soon thereafter the "China-specific" iPhone was on the mass production manufacturing agenda.

Although the iPhone has been slow to resonate with many Chinese consumers, the primary reason has been attributed
    to the costs associated with owning the device - both the outright expense of the device and, subsequently, the cost of 3G service. The arrival of WiFi on the iPhone 3GS will all but certainly help push subsequent iPhone sales in China and dramatically increase the device's ubiquity within the country's swelling mobile population.

According to Yahoo News, the WiFi-equipped iPhone "will sell for 4,999 yuan (738 dollars) -- the same price as the model without Wi-Fi." Some customers, however, may get the device for free if they pick up a monthly subscription package "of at least 226 yuan."

Yahoo! News

sure am glad to be an american

I'ma let China finnish, but the iPhone 4 is one of the best phones of all time! All time!
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

iPhone? More like MyPhone macsoldier's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by g_kinz View Post
    me too!!

Thanks

Me too.

Livin the iPhone Life Bluemoldycheeze88's Avatar
    Thanks

me too

How do you say jailbreakme.com in Chinese?? They gotta get in on it too!!! Props to @Comex

Isn't that over price?

Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    I'ma let China finnish, but the iPhone 4 is one of the best phones of all time! All time!
    Lmao, I thought this joke had died long ago but nope still works

Quote Originally Posted by l3olsa View Post
    Isn't that over price?
    Based on what I read, if you get a monthly plan at 226 RMB (30 some USD), the phone is free. While the technology itself is more expensive, the cellular service definitely is not. 30USD a month for 3GS usage? Not bad. PLUS...the phone is free at that cost..i think.

go china.
    killall Terminal[]

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    am glad to be Chinese ^_^

Glad to be Chinese AND American.

Me too. Chinese AND American.

Actually I didn't know this when I walked into a China Unicom store with my (unlocked) AT&T iPhone 4 about three hours ago (just got to China).

They were so surprised to see it. They spent quite awhile looking at it

But I picked up a prepaid plan for 66 Yuan - less than $10 which gives me 240 texts, 50 (outgoing) minutes/free incoming minutes, and 300MB data.

Try doing THAT with AT&T. Oh and 3G is faster here so far.

The aforementioned 266 yuan plan that gets you the free iPhone is ~$30 a month. Less than you pay AT&T for the privelige of a $199 phone!
    If you like or found helpful anything I have said, please click that nice little Thanks button!

Quote Originally Posted by ksong12 View Post
    Me too. Chinese AND American.

Actually I didn't know this when I walked into a China Unicom store with my (unlocked) AT&T iPhone 4 about three hours ago (just got to China).

They were so surprised to see it. They spent quite awhile looking at it

But I picked up a prepaid plan for 66 Yuan - less than $10 which gives me 240 texts, 50 (outgoing) minutes/free incoming minutes, and 300MB data.

Try doing THAT with AT&T. Oh and 3G is faster here so far.

The aforementioned 266 yuan plan that gets you the free iPhone is ~$30 a month. Less than you pay AT&T for the privelige of a $199 phone!
    That's not something to brag about, the US has some of the worse cell reception in the world. In Canada we are already two steps ahead of 3G with HSPA+, which is 3 times faster than 3g

actually T-Mobile has HSPA+ too. but yeah US has absolutely awful infrastructure.

But that wasn't the point. US and Canada are both developed nations. China is as yet "developing". Just walk down a city street (in a non-tourist) area and you'll see what I mean.

oh and how much do you pay per month? ;-)

if things are the same as they used to be, it's a helluva more than $10.
    If you like or found helpful anything I have said, please click that nice little Thanks button!

I pay $10 a month, but I don't have an iphone