+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Signal: REAL Signal Strength, Cell Info & More

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
One of the first things I installed after I jailbroke my iPhone 4 was @planetbeing's Signal app. It not only provides easy access to cell tower data and RF metrics
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Signal: REAL Signal Strength, Cell Info & More

One of the first things I installed after I jailbroke my iPhone 4 was @planetbeing's Signal app. It not only provides easy access to cell tower data and RF metrics that have been unavailable in iOS 4 due to the loss of FieldTest.app, but it gives you a way to say 'thank you' to a member of the Dev-Team. As @MuscleNerd tweeted when the app went live on Cydia, it's almost a community service to support @planetbeing in this way since "*everyone* benefits if he stays interested in baseband stuff." But it's not philanthropy to get this app, especially if you're interested in RF or if you have an unlocked iPhone and are trying to figure out which carrier gives you the best signal.

Signal presents the location and receive signal strength from all nearby towers in a very intuitive Google Maps overlay. Your current 3G base station is shown as a red dot, with the actual real-time received signal strength shown in dBm inside the dot. Other UMTS/GSM cells are displayed as blue dots. Adjacent cells offering only EDGE service are shown in gray. If the app can't determine the signal strength, it will just show the letter E inside those dots. You may just see your primary cell when you first launch the app, but @planetbeing says to let it run for a few hours and it will cache the locations of all the bases it can find, which will display as yellow dots on your map.

For true wireless geeks, there is an info page that shows details on all the cells that the app has been able to identify. The info page shows not only raw signal strength, but also RSCP, which is the power level once the signal has been descrambled. There's a ton of other data, such as the uplink and downlink channels, scrambling code and Ec/N0 (energy per codeword over the noise floor, basically signal-to-noise ratio). And just for fun, there's also a little "Death Grip game" you can play to see if you can kill your signal by holding your phone the wrong way.

Since they don't accept donations, spending $5 on this well-made app is a way of saying thanks to the Dev-Team and helping support one of the most talented iPhone hackers we've got.

2. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

bigorangekitty (08-07-2010), Bluemoldycheeze88 (08-07-2010), bobright (08-07-2010), BustAGroove (08-08-2010), chuckytorn (08-11-2010), Clatchy (08-08-2010), cranie (08-11-2010), djerrol (08-08-2010), ert6ic (08-07-2010), joe97 (08-07-2010), MartinC1 (08-08-2010), Nick Hesson (08-07-2010), Poi man (08-08-2010), reaves205 (08-07-2010), sal_osx (08-07-2010), shaundj1 (08-15-2010), T.L.K2100 (08-09-2010), tavella (08-09-2010), veskodimov (08-08-2010), zYxMa (08-07-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

agreed, thanks planetbeing and dev team for all you do regarding jailbreak and unlock. This is a pretty slick app--

Livin the iPhone Life Bluemoldycheeze88's Avatar
    Thanks

if my phone hadn't been stolen I would of have bought this app because I really wanna see how good is t-mobile coverage in my town.

Thanks

I would download it, except I have an iPod touch

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

gave my iphone 4 to my 15 years old son and he doesn't want to jailbreak it, otherwise i will download it for as donation

Livin the iPhone Life TheOrioles33's Avatar
    Thanks

Got it. Very cool app.
    MacBook Pro i7
    Dell XPS

Thanks

This is actually a great and useful app. Thanks Planetbeing!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to crisco9071 For This Useful Post:

kmeyler (08-07-2010)

Thanks

Like others I cannot buy Signal since I don't have my iPhone4 yet (waiting for the "fixed" iPhone 4.1 post September 30 ;-) Right now I offer virtual thanks and when I have the phone monetary thanks.

Thanks

I have an officially unlocked phone now so don't need this UltraSn0w but bought the app to support one of the most talented people I know.

Then I found it's a fantastic app and well worth 5 bucks in it's own right. Glad I bought it.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to confucious For This Useful Post:

Windmeel (08-08-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Anyone knows what notification app the author is using? I was using Notifier/Reminder but is not working on iOS4, that looks just the same.

Thanks

Knowing planetbeing he probably wrote his own...

Why don't you ask him?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

This is actually a really cool app even if your not unlocked

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

The gps function of the app can be pretty far off and I can't get it to move with me to another location while it's open. The only change it needs is more precise location and it'd be perfect. I love the app ad bought it as soon as it was available. Thanks PlanetBeing, awesome work!

Thanks

The location is based on the GPS location that your phone gets. Mine currently shows me across the road from where I am.

iPhone? More like MyPhone mastuul's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carlito83 View Post
    Anyone knows what notification app the author is using? I was using Notifier/Reminder but is not working on iOS4, that looks just the same.
    It looks like Notifier (says Reminder on springboard) to me.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

**** apple for removing this feature in the first place. Hopefully this'll be used as evidence in court that they were trying to cover up the fact that they'd knowingly released a defective product.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mastuul View Post
    It looks like Notifier (says Reminder on springboard) to me.
    That's what I'm saying, it looks like Reminder/Notifier but currently this app is not working under iOS4. And he IS on iOS 4 because that compass icon is not available on 3.x

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Wish this worked on a 3GS with 3.1.2/3

iPhone? More like MyPhone CMOSlabs's Avatar
    Thanks

I missed the "Field Test" after upgrading to 4.0. Signal to the rescue, so much better. Hats off to Planetbeing! This is actually a great and useful app. Thanks!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mes View Post
    Wish this worked on a 3GS with 3.1.2/3
    Why not upgrade?

+ Reply
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast