Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Still Trying to Curb In-Store Jailbreaking Phenomenon

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,482 Times in 568 Posts

Default Apple Still Trying to Curb In-Store Jailbreaking Phenomenon

Almost everyone I know wants to jailbreak an iDevice. But there's a catch. Since they've already jailbroken their own iPhones, iPods, and iPads, they would prefer to try something a bit more daring. You know, like jailbreaking a display device inside of an Apple store. Apparently, a lot of folks in our community want the thrill of doing just that. And Apple is aware of it.

Understandably, Apple isn't fond of folks like us jailbreaking iPhones and such inside of Apple retail stores. As a result, Apple has effectively blocked Jailbreakme.com from being accessed at the company's retail outlets over its available WiFi networks. Not surprisingly, Apple is anything but a big fan of jailbreakme.com, a one-stop browser-based jailbreak shop for all iOS devices that fully exploits a PDF security hole in the Mobile Safari browser. Apple, however, said this week that its fixin' to serve up a fix for this PDF exploit that will be available via a future iOS update.

Reports of Apple blocking the jailbreak site first surfaced late in the week and, in all actuality, didn't necessarily come as a big shocker to anyone, although there were scant indications that some customers could still access the site at Apple locations as of Saturday morning. Today, however, I endeavored to access the site at my nearest Apple store (I'm lucky they still let me in) and was promptly prohibited from doing just that. Looks like I won't have my own YouTube video (like everyone else does) of me jailbreaking an iPhone inside the Apple Store. And I was really hoping to show the grandchildren one day. Oh well. But at least some have the distinct honor of being among the few (and proud) who actually managed to jailbreak a floor model iDevice.

Engadget

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

Clatchy (08-08-2010), LEVMAN (08-07-2010), MaxRabbit (08-08-2010), oOo ANDR3W oOo (08-09-2010), reaves205 (08-07-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone ro0oney's Avatar
    Thanks

wow, that guy has a lot of guts
    Last edited by z3r01; 08-07-2010 at 06:30 PM.

Keep it constructive please....
    Last edited by soulthoughts; 08-07-2010 at 01:42 PM.

perma-banned for life
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,050 Times in 3,590 Posts

I did it at my local apple store. Its quite easy to access jailbreak me because if you connect to your own wifi network aka MyWi with say an ipod or iphone then you can jailbreak as many as you want

That is awesome....hey by the way since quick SMS is not compatible with ios4 does anyone know of a similar messaging app?

I did it to bestbuys ipad last night again....connected via mywi of course...I know the managter and he said go ahead and try it...so thats when I connected via mywi and he said, I forgot about that...lol

Jailbreakme.com may be blocked in Apple Stores, but is it in AT&T stores?

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whereswaldo For This Useful Post:

iHackedLife (08-07-2010), iJedi (08-07-2010)

Haha...I'm going to Best buy and walmart to do it...since there is no apple stores here

11. The Following User Says Thank You to scooby4 For This Useful Post:

blazinhaze420 (08-07-2010)

Dang, this dude does have guts to do it! Haha, he should ask one of the guys that works for apple to ask what Cydia does! Haha

Thanks

That took guts to jailbreak it.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

all you have to do is have mywi installed on your phone. connect the display device to your phone wifi network, that bypasses the apple store network. they cant stop the jailbreak!

Why would people want to go in and piss Apple off? I mean it's stupid. You know they can remote turn things off and you know that if they got really upset at this community they could go draconian on us. Be happy that you can jailbreak and unlock and leave it at that. Saurik said they probably know exactly what phones are jailbroken.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 6309phone For This Useful Post:

darwina (08-08-2010), Europa (08-08-2010), kuhndsn (08-07-2010), Nepptune77 (08-08-2010), Ryuzaki 786 (08-10-2010), Tamkis (08-08-2010)

I went to settings and turnes off wifi and it d/loaded via 3g network and installed cydia in iPT boo ya

My iPhone is a Part of Me thevmax's Avatar
    Thanks

While it initially looks like a funny prank,
    It doesn't make sense to fool around with mother apple.
    It's bad enough the cat and mouse games that the dev team has to play with apple just so the jailbreaking/unlocking process can occur...

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to adrian1480 For This Useful Post:

CaptainChaos (08-07-2010), Nepptune77 (08-08-2010), ronfin44 (08-08-2010)

1. If a news headline can be appropriately followed by the sarcastic phrase "IMAGINE THAT" (as this one can be), it's not actually "news."

2. "Few and proud" - come on give me a break. I jailbroke an in-store iPhone. Wee. When it's as easy as "slide to jailbreak," it's not really something to be proud of

3. Jailbreak will be gone next time they update their phones so oh well

4. Settings > WiFi > "Off" > JailbreakMe herp derp Apple

I did the ones at AT&T lol

What's Jailbreak? manofcolombia's Avatar
    Thanks
    haha
    i went to the apple store and jailbroke MY iphone from an in store mac usin blackra1n when it 1st came out
    i set up th USB cord and everything and sat there with my friend trying to dogde all the stupid employees asking if we needed help...we were there for like 45 minutes haha

iPhone? More like MyPhone maddawg05's Avatar
    Thanks

funny as hell

Quickreply for sms is compatible. Im using it now

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast