+ Reply
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Water Damaged iPhone? Grab Some Rice!

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
I have recovered about 10 to 20 iphone what has been water damaged I used the rice trick and it has worked plentey of time also I have used isopropyl
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I have recovered about 10 to 20 iphone what has been water damaged I used the rice trick and it has worked plentey of time also
    I have used isopropyl alcohol,as dipping the mainboard into bowl of isopropyl alcohol and then drying it off and placeing it on an cookie sheet with the oven at lowest setting and let it sit for 15min in the oven. I thought that would never work untill I seen and friend did that to an PSP motherboard that fell into a pool 8 ft down.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    The reason it "doesn't" work for most people is one of 2 things

1) They didn't power it off and keep it powered off after they got it wet therefore frying the insides.

and

2) Not leaving it in the rice for long enough. It takes 2 days at least to be effective in my experience. If you do it less than that, refer to #1.

Thanks

It actually does work. For those skeptical few, if you try it, you know it helps.

I've repaired countless number of iPhones and iPods.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Here's a great recipe for all water logged iPhone 4's:

- first take it out of the liquid emmediately.
    - place in bag of rice (2 cups perferred)
    - heat wok to 400 degrees
    - add iPhone and rice to wok
    - cook in wok for approx 10 minutes until golden brown, or until bumper melts.
    - dump all in trash
    - buy a Droid.

P.S. I wonder what it would be like with Sushi?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

O better yet take it apart and spray some non residue contact cleaner. If the insides are soaked, you need to use 99% alcohol or contact cleaner. Rice will not pull out large quantities of water and the parts inside will rust and corrode. This might be OK if you are sure there is not a puddle of water inside.
    Follow @MODiFiEDZ on Twitter For Interesting Tech News.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

Same thread......... three years later.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

Banned
    Thanks

This is true, not an urban legend as I have done this with an old palm treo dropped in a bucket of soapy water. Rice is polished using mineral talcum which is why you should always wash rice before cooking. Both rice and talcum are hydroscopic (water absorbing) and will draw water out of the phone given time. Putting it in a sunny but not too hot a spot in your bag of rice will quicken the process. As long as no power is running through the circuit boards it won't short out any components and your phone should work, so power your phone off straight away. Some phone resellers do use isopropyl alcohol baths to do this. The alcohol disperses the water and dries very quickly. But don't do this yourself, take your phone to someone who does.

Why do all these idiots keep posting that it's an urban legend when it clearly has worked for plenty of people here.
    Last edited by Tyronal; 08-06-2010 at 12:29 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
    RICE IS AN URBAN LEGEND! IT DOES NOT DO ANYTHING

WOW!

I see people everyday who put their phones in rice. All the rice does is make a mess. It will never absorb the liquid and corrosion from the logic board of an iPhone.
    Rice fixed my phone

Green Apple
    Thanks

All I can say is don't cook the rice after you've dried out an iphone that's fallen into the toilet. lol

iPhone? More like MyPhone CMOSlabs's Avatar
    Thanks

Hmm, rice? I guess that kinda works.
    I have fixed around 50 iPhones that have taken a swim. The only sure way I know to fix electronic devices that get wet is to completely take them apart, ie: screens, mother board, speaker/mic, case, etc. Now, put them on a cookie sheet, and put them out in the sun for 4 hours, then turn them over and cook the other side for 4 hours. Im getting a 95% repair rate on that procedure. Do not use hair dryers or ovens !!
    Last edited by CMOSlabs; 08-06-2010 at 12:54 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

This method actually does work. My friend had a 3GS and went swimming and laid his iPhone on his towel. Some ***** picked his towel up to dry off and his phone went sliding into the pool. He jumped in after it and put it in a bowl of rice and waited three days. iPhone turned on and worked fine.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,608 Times in 1,909 Posts

This happened to me while running in a rain storm. Rice worked great!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ctstiffler View Post
    This method actually does work. My friend had a 3GS and went swimming and laid his iPhone on his towel. Some ***** picked his towel up to dry off and his phone went sliding into the pool. He jumped in after it and put it in a bowl of rice and waited three days. iPhone turned on and worked fine.
    Towel stealer

15. The Following User Says Thank You to whereswaldo For This Useful Post:

techgirl (08-07-2010)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

This can indeed work, I have used it for other electronics....it does not always work, but putting it in a bag of rice for a couple days can't hurt anything either, so why not give it a shot?

iPhone? More like MyPhone NinetyFour's Avatar
    Thanks

I've got a question. So you guys say to power it off before you put it in rice. How should I go about doing this? Should I use the "hold power and home button until it shuts off" method or should i just simply hold the power button and slide to power off? Because won't using the touch screen and any buttons short circuit the phone?

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Best bet .... Don't touch it. Why? Because it's probably already off due to the water .. and .. messing with the power button may try to turn in on and create more damage.

Green Apple
    Thanks

i once dropped my iphone in water it did not work with rice, but i did however learn a lot about repairing stuff myself (microphone, camera, lcd, pretty much how to replace everything, except the motherboard, if the motherboard is fried then your screwed!!) and i bought it all on ebay for less than $30!! you really don't have a ton to lose other than a few bucks, if you screw it up, they can still fix it for you!!

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bassface's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NinetyFour View Post
    I've got a question. So you guys say to power it off before you put it in rice. How should I go about doing this? Should I use the "hold power and home button until it shuts off" method or should i just simply hold the power button and slide to power off? Because won't using the touch screen and any buttons short circuit the phone?
    You only use the Home+Power if it is stuck on the white pinwheel.
    If this was helpful, or even if it gave you a laugh, click the Thanks button!

Green Apple
    Thanks

This actually works. I've tried a couple time before.