Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Dropped Call Survey Places iPhone 4 Ahead of iPhone 3GS

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Dropped Call Survey Places iPhone 4 Ahead of iPhone 3GS

On Wednesday, ChangeWave Research published the findings of a new survey indicating that iPhone 4 users are, in fact, experiencing fewer dropped calls when compared to iPhone 3GS use. According to a statement from the group, ChangeWave conducted the survey between July 19th and 28th. Initially, the survey was to have taken place sooner, but the folks in charge decided to wait until the "Antennagate" controversy was fully absorbed by iPhone 4 users for most accurate results.

The survey (which relies upon 213 new iPhone 4 owners) indicates that users reported fewer dropped calls than those who have similarly owned an iPhone 3GS. A survey of iPhone 3GS owners shows a 6.3 percent drop rate. Meanwhile, only just 5.2 percent of iPhone 4 owners reported dropped calls. "Despite all of the issues surrounding the antenna," Paul Carton, vice president of research with ChangeWave, said, "in actuality, iPhone 4 owners reported experiencing fewer dropped calls on the average than iPhone 3GS owners."

Last month during the iPhone 4 "Antennagate" press conference, Steve Jobs indicated that the iPhone 4 has a slightly higher dropped call rate (no matter how minuscule) than the iPhone 3GS. But among those sampled, the results went the other way. As a result, the survey also shows that 35 percent of iPhone 4 owners are "very satisfied" with the way Apple addressed the Death Grip issue. 38 percent are "somewhat satisfied" and only 18 percent are "unsatisfied." Of course, Apple's PR black eye from the Death Grip fallout hasn't come without a price. ChangeWave Research found that 13 percent of respondents were, in total, "disappointed" with their iPhone 4. In terms of iPhone 3GS owners, only 6 percent were "disappointed."

ChangeWave Research

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

Freerunnering (08-04-2010), reaves205 (08-04-2010)

very small sample......

But I will say my dropped call rate (with my IP4) is lower compared to my 3Gs.

What would be really nice is to see some data from ATT collected with the "Mark the Spot" app

Thanks

Mine has been doing ok since Apple replaced it. The first one I had was awful.
    Apples taste good.

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

213 people surveyed? I may have missed it but did the source article give any info about the sample pool? Were they all in big cities? Were they in San Fran? A completely unreliable and hardly scientific survey. That being said, I'm sure a lot of people want reports/posts about things such as this so I cant really blame messany.

Quote Originally Posted by dxe View Post
    very small sample......

But I will say my dropped call rate (with my IP4) is lower compared to my 3Gs.

What would be really nice is to see some data from ATT collected with the "Mark the Spot" app
    i think the mark the spot app should run in background and when u drop a call automatically record where you dropped it, and then soon as your back in an area with signal send that data to AT&T that way you dont forget to do it

these stats mean nothing.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

213 people, all which lived under cell towers..........
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

iPhone? More like MyPhone ro0oney's Avatar
    Thanks

i soo don't think this is true

213 people ya that's a good survey.

I hav a 3GS ATM but am yet to drop any calls apart from two which I'm by sure if they are drpped

iPhone? More like MyPhone timbo's Avatar
    Thanks

Here in San Fransisco I get dropped call with what appear to be full bars and 3G. Same in the East Bay (Concord). I need to turn off 3G and talk on Edge for most calls..... WEAK.

Hate AT&T... on the fence about Apple these days

Quote Originally Posted by robertr1 View Post
    213 people ya that's a good survey.
    I sense some sarcasm...... lol
    Last edited by timbo; 08-04-2010 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Thanks,

Timbo

You know I live in an area where I get 5 bars with Att and tmobile in fact there's a dew towers here. In the 7 yrs I've had tmobile I've had two dropped calls that I can remember. Since I've switched to Att I've had three dropped calls all the time. In fact I've had three just today.

Theme Creator
    Thanks

A complete waste of space! This survey is so incomplete it's not even funny. Here in the east bay I get dropped calls quite often on my #Gs. What's even more frustrating is when it drops calls while appear to have FULL BARS!!! I will look at my phone and I will have full bars, then the next thing I know...BAM, next to nothing for connection! Pisses me off. As for the iPhone 4, my sister inlaw is really hating hers right now due to the number of dropped calls she is suffering right now. She is in Sacramento in am area with great signal as well. She lacks a case though right now, so we'll see what happens when she gets a case.

iPhone? More like MyPhone geoffe's Avatar
    Thanks

The only person I drop calls to is my wife who is also on a iPhone 4. It's strange but I drop a call with her everytime I talk to her.

iPhone? More like MyPhone ForumSnoBorderRK's Avatar
    Thanks

what a great survey... its too bad apple already knows and admitted to having more dropped calls than the 3GS.
    -[r]
    if you can, please [thank] me if i helped you or you liked what i said! :]

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

213 people surveyed. And all of them probably employed by Apple.

So out of millions of iPhone 4s already sold, they survey two HUNDRED people and make a judgment call based on THAT? Good call Apple.
    Last edited by RICO_; 08-04-2010 at 01:20 PM.

My 3GS rarely dropped a call (maybe twice in 8 months) here on the coast near LA, except when I'm speaking with my older son on HIS 3GS in Oakland. He lives in a bad zone, and sometimes he's in his truck when it happens. But except for that, I really have no issues that make me not like the phone. Just got a 4, had it 3 days, so hard to tell yet how it's working (no dropped calls yet).

As to a survey sample, it's not the numbers that count, it's how the people were chosen that make it a viable cross-section of (in this case) users of iPhone 4. Most surveys you read/hear about have small user samples, and I include lots of the political surveys we all hear about.
    Senior

probably because the antenna problem only affects 0.55% of iPhone users
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

A 200 persons survey isn't all that bad as long as the sample is spread accordingly to a variety of cities in the US for both 3GS and I4 tests. Since they given no inquiry on how they executed the survey, the survey can pretty much be tossed out. Survey or not, I don't think the I4 reception issue is at all as serious as Atennagate has said it to be.

Thanks

I haven't experienced any drop calls, although I don't make that many calls in the first place.. But I get terrible reception. I was downtown Indianapolis, and I had 1 bar...

Thats Crap!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast