+ Reply
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4 Cracks Emerge

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Apple compares the iPhone 4 glass to a helicopter windshield, and say its 30 times harder than plastic and less prone to breakage. On its website, Apple talks up the
    Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks

Default iPhone 4 Cracks Emerge
    Apple compares the iPhone 4 glass to a helicopter windshield, and say its 30 times harder than plastic and less prone to breakage.

On its website, Apple talks up the "aluminosilicate glass" used in the iPhone 4, which it says is the same type of glass used in the windshields of helicopters and high-speed trains.

"Chemically strengthened to be 20 times stiffer and 30 times harder than plastic, the glass is ultradurable and more scratch resistant than ever," Apple says.

A Sydney iPhone repair shop has seen different after the first broken model came through their door.

According to the Sydney repair shop, one must be careful not to drop their iPhone 4 because the cost to repair the glass is significantly higher than the 3G[S]. (I feel no matter what iPhone one owns one must be careful not to drop)

The young gentlemen that dropped his phone off at the Sydney repair shop states that it will cost $199.00 to repair and states that he feels the iPhone 4 was just as, if not more fragile as the previous models. For the 3G and 3Gs models a screen repair was around $129.00

Remember - Apple does not cover it if you drop it. The phone slipped out of his hands because he was carrying too many things. He also provided photos showing the damage on dropped iPhone 4 models follows a similar pattern of previous versions.

EDIT: The gentlemen stated "I kind of regret not putting the cover on straight away but I didn't think it would shatter like that, I just thought it would be a small scratch," he said.

"It's not even as durable as a BlackBerry - I drop the BlackBerry all the time but i've never seen something that's shattered this quick."

'I'm shattered': cracks emerge in iPhone 4
    Last edited by Kyle Matthews; 08-04-2010 at 09:54 AM.

"Always remember your special and unique!"

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thetoothfairy For This Useful Post:

Freerunnering (08-04-2010), reaves205 (08-04-2010)

Thanks

He should have bought a case immediately.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

And now you have the back glass to watch out for too unlike older models.

Thanks

Yup that is the first thing I always do is buy a nice case for my phones...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Im buying a cracked iPhone 4 off someone tomorrow. on ebay replacement digitizers like 65 bucks.. dont know if its as good at the original but hope it works.. im payin 500 for it
    www.jailbreakme.com

iPhone 4 - 4.0.1 (jailbroken & unlocked)
    iPad 3G - 3.2.1 (jailbroken)

Been jailbreaking / unlocking from the days where you had to access Settings through the Emergency Screen Ohh the good ol' days

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

We are repairing up to 7-10 a day in my stores. It is amazing how bad these break. The worst part is the backs are breaking as well. A good case can really help them from breaking however.

Side Note- even though the glass is "gorilla glass", it is extremely thin! It does not matter how tough glass is, if it is thin, it will break. The difference with helicopter glass is that is several inches thick
    Last edited by Melech518; 08-03-2010 at 11:05 PM.
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

ADF (08-05-2010), szr (08-04-2010), The_13th_Plague (08-04-2010), tma (08-04-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone madczech's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by saltyfishy123 View Post
    Im buying a cracked iPhone 4 off someone tomorrow. on ebay replacement digitizers like 65 bucks.. dont know if its as good at the original but hope it works.. im payin 500 for it
    you can get a brand new one of craigslist for like 550$

I just got one yesterday for 500$

So why buy a broken one?
    I don't give a damn about Chuck Norris, Spongebob can grill under water!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to madczech For This Useful Post:

jius (08-06-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by saltyfishy123 View Post
    You cannot replace only the digitizer. The LCD and Digitizer are fused together. If one breaks, you need to replace the entire display. We have been forced into charging $179 for rplacements. The parts cost $100-110

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

reyg25atx (08-04-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

i purchased an ugly purple belkin case on the first day. id rather have an ugly case then a broken screen

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
    We are repairing up to 7-10 a day in my stores. It is amazing how bad these break. The worst part is the backs are breaking as well. A good case can really help them from breaking however.

Side Note- even though the glass is "gorilla glass", it is extremely thin! It does not matter how tough glass is, if it is thin, it will break. The difference with helicopter glass is that is several inches thick
    I haven't bought the iPhone4 yet was waiting for the white one... what kind of case would you suggest to protect both sides of the phone?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Some people can't hang on to anything!

Greg

Thanks

I had a factory in china manufacture the OtterBox type cases for the iPhone 4. They are the best option at this point in time. If you need one just PM me. I have a ton of different colors.

Last edited by Melech518; 08-03-2010 at 11:20 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

thetoothfairy (08-04-2010)

Thanks

Yet another reason to get and iPhone case : improved signal + glass protection Wich in the iPhone 4 s case is very important 200$ for a new display????? Damn

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrinfame For This Useful Post:

Daerid (08-04-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

I'm literally pretending to listen to my roommate at this very moment go on and on about how she dropped her beautiful iPhone 4 at work today and shattered the screen. It really is a horrible sight And the worst part is that she DID have a case on it, granted it wasn't the greatest but it looks like it should have helped more than it did.
    I'm not big on screen protectors anymore b/c I get sick of looking at it pasted on there, but even tho I have a pretty nice case on mine I'm forking out the dough for an invisIbleSHIELD this weekend. These little shits need all the protection they can get apparently. Not a fan of cases either but I gotta do what I gotta do. Kinda regretting picking just a bumper as my freebie :-/
    Last edited by dncrgrl; 08-03-2010 at 11:18 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,865 Times in 2,205 Posts

I don't use a case on mine I hate how it feels. But I have been thinking about it I see more and more people talking about there iPhone 4 shattering first drop and I can't afford a 179 dollar repair but a 20-30 dollar case seems more like INS

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Cowboy For This Useful Post:

saalos999 (08-04-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Had iPhones since a week after they came out (1st Gen) and so far I have been lucky however It is good practice to have a sleeve or protector on an item that has such high glass coverage.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I will never understand why people don't put cases on their iPhones (or any smartphone for that matter)...think of dropping your laptop, not too much different...I feel bad for the fellow though, that's rough.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
    ........Side Note- even though the glass is "gorilla glass", it is extremely thin! It does not matter how tough glass is, if it is thin, it will break. The difference with helicopter glass is that is several inches thick
    Good point. I think the actual impact pounds per square inch is by far more intense with a falling iPhone than the test Apple showed with the stress resistance in their video.

Thanks

Some people are just careless.
    Stick with the blackberry dude lol.

Thanks

seeing that i just got my iphone 4 today this kinda scares me. they dont even have cases in canada yet!
    I am not a jailbreak n00b
    I like to drink iPhoneahol...
    Circa 2008

+ Reply
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast