Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Jailbreakers to Apple: “This is only the beginning...”

Fuk apple At&T and all other networks who locks the phones

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

The only thing ive ever used rock for is the backup and restore function. Now that ive gone to the iphone 4 it wont be any good to me until i get my phone back to the way it was with cydia when the jb is released since its tied to my old device.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Dranon's Avatar
    Thanks

Sorry I disagree with this! I have an iphone and it is jailbroken and I have cydia and rock apps on it! I do NOT feel that Apple should be forced to allow whatever someone wants on their app store. That is like forcing wal-mart to sell something in their store that they do not want to sell. There are other platforms Android windows and Palm. Just because they are not as popular and/or desirable does NOT make Apple a defacto monopoly!! They are NOT stifling competition, it is their product and they can choose what to allow on it just as we can choose whether to buy it or not! I do agree that jailbreaking should not be illegal and applaud them for passing that measure, but I feel no company should be forced to include things that they do not want to after all it is their product! Once it is in my hands they should have no say in what I want to do with it!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dranon For This Useful Post:

Caligula (08-01-2010)

I've never tried Rock. The general consensus from what I've seen is to stay away Maybe I'll give them a try once the iPhone 4 jailbreak is out

The day when Apple lets us do what we want will be the day when the world screams in joy.

Quote Originally Posted by LastSonOfKrypton View Post
    I've never tried Rock. The general consensus from what I've seen is to stay away Maybe I'll give them a try once the iPhone 4 jailbreak is out
    Yes, try out out Rock. Its much faster than Cydia and more organized. Plus any sources you entered in Cydia and also sources used in your Rock. Also you get to have a rock account and use your account to backup your apps and mods, a feature that Cydia doesnt have.

Quote Originally Posted by trevorrawson View Post
    My only fear in this is getting the government involved. Why can't we settle things on our own anymore? Us crying out for this only leads to one more thing the government will have it's hands in. And since they do a poor job running pretty much everything else, if they get involved this too will soon go to hell in a hand-basket. What sad times...
    Think about what you just said. Why cant we do it on our own? What are you going to do? Go to Apple Corp and say, Release the code or else? Or else what? The government wont have its hands in anything, but doing what it does best. Prevent your cell phone from being in jail. Giving your cell phone freedoms that it has never had before. Just because its our government, doesn't always mean its bad. But of course there is always everyone's opinion and they are entitled to that. Because that is your "freedom". But Im glad the "government" came in and done what they did. You see, it took a group of people to convince our government that what was going on was wrong. They took it to "our government" and they did something right about it. To my belief, The hand in the basket, has lifted the iPhone out.

Just my 2.999999 cents on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by cypherpunk View Post
    Nice thought, but I can't help feel it would end up hurting the market unless something can be done to curb app piracy. Piracy rates are bad enough as it is, and I'm not comfortable with that ability being handed to every iPhone owner on a plate.

Personally I'd rather see things stay as they are now - people who want to jailbreak can figure out how, and those who are hell-bent on pirating apps can even do that, but the vast majority are satisfied with never needing to jailbreak at all.

I think what legislators need to focus on is apple's business strategies and questionable rejection guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blufox View Post
    This is exactly right.
    Your kidding right? So you dont need Saurik, Comex, Musclenerd's hard work to make your phone jailbroken? Have you found a way to unlock/jailbreak without their help? I bet not. I sure as hell dont. I rather have it all be handed on a silver platter. This way there is no more whining, ******** and driving people nuts. Whens the next jailbreak/unlock coming out? I screwed up and my phones stuck on 4.0 and ...... see the point. I understand some people just have to have the "good feeling" of being needed. All I can say is. It would be a great world indeed to see Apple "forced" to open things up.
    Last edited by Varmit; 08-01-2010 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    iPhone 4 Quote: Its so easy, a caveman can use it!

The phenomenal success of Apple has gone to the head of (Hitler wanabe) Steve Jobs, his Gestapo tactics has gone far beyond protecting a cooperate interest, of which; every company has the right to do, he really needs a reality check and I hope this does it for him.

The phenomenal success of Apple has gone to the head of (Hitler wanabe) Steve Jobs, his Gestapo tactics has gone far beyond protecting a cooperate interest, of which; every company has the right to do, he really needs a reality check and I hope this does it for him.
    Last edited by Ibkoool; 08-01-2010 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by ninthchamber99 View Post
    First off the initial post was extremely well written. I believe the attention being bought to the huge amounts of money Apple is receiving and in contrast the amount of money they essentially are preventing others to make will be the most compelling point the government will key in on. Very interesting.

And the craziest thing about this recent court decision is how everybody now knows about or wants to know about jailbreaking. I have been JBing since I first got my 2G. I too remember the days of sitting there for 20-30 minutes watching your new expensive toy hoping you did not mess any thing up too bad that it could not be recovered from. Now, we have one button tools and the most random people I work with asking me about JBing since they 1. Know I have all my iDevices JBroken and 2. the recent court decision. I am glad we are making progress but I do miss the days of being one of few people I knew who had or knew what JBing was. Just saying.
    LOL! I actually help write some of the programs that people used in the day to transfer the pngs over. The themes so to speak. I remember when you had to do everything MANUALLY! My thing is this. I really dont care about being "cool" the guy that has the iPhone that no one has. I care about the people that Apple has done a grave injustice to. EX: A app that does this, its in the App Store for a long long time. Apple decides to add it as a feature to the iPhone. App Store removes the developers application. Now that really pisses me off. Its just wrong. It makes talented people who write software want to quit. I will be straight up and honest. I have NEVER installed a unpaid for app on my iPhone. I have always paid for it. The devs work thier ***'s off and deserve to be paid.
    iPhone 4 Quote: Its so easy, a caveman can use it!

If Apple gets taken down with this one, wow.

Has anyone realized that its not legal to jailbreak all 100 million iDevices like it says in the article? It's only legal in the United States, that's less than half of the iDevices in the world

I signed that digital petition to the Feds that Rock had back in the 3.1.3 days. The first thing I'm doing with Cydia is installing Rock.

Thanks

I barely even care about jailbreaking anymore. With all the noobs around, it is just a click of a button. Most of them don't even call it jailbreaking, they call it free apps. I jailbroke the original iPhone back when I was on 1.0.2. I loved it then, because it was a way to make my phone unique, and different. Now these idiots go and download a tiny program where you click a button and they are suddenly 1337 h.axx0rz. I have basically lost all interest in jailbreaking now, with the exception of a few little things. My iPhone 4 is stock, and I don't feel like slowing it down, and screwing it up with jailbreaking. Sure, in the future I might jailbreak once again, just to have people run up to me and ask if I have free apps, but all I want it for is openSSH. (Which, by the way, every noob jailbreaker I ask has no idea what it is or why you would want it.)
    http://modmyi.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=303541&dateline=12514  03473

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Chase817 For This Useful Post:

Shishir G (08-01-2010)

Apple never ganna allow cydia in.app store. I like the jailbreak the way it is right now

Apple is in business. They sell apps to go on their phone. I doubt you will see Cydia in iTunes unless $ is involved. In fact, I believe the cat and mouse game will continue for quite some time. What reason do they have to allow jailbreak? None. It's not in their best interest to do so.
    Senior

Undisputed Theme Champ AnthonyGiola's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 853 Posts

Heres my two cents... If they do let you install Rock and Cydia it will not come preinstalled. There will be a seperate part of the appstore that EXCLUSIVELY says: Installing this software immeadiately disqualifies you from your warranty. They will let you install it but doing so voids the warranty. Just like you can buy a computer and its all good till you want to open the box and put in a video card. Your allowed to do it but it will void the warranty. I think this is the smartest way to do it. JUST SAYIN

Even if they allow the Rock app or Cydia to be installed directly into iTunes, both of those programs allow the insertion of code into the Apple Operating system, which is unquestionably a security concern.

I just don't see how Cydia or Rock could operate under those conditions.

What we need is for someone to steal the Apple iOS operating system and create one that does not have the same security/ Apple restrictions. What we need is an open-souce operating system that can totally replace the one that Apple has given us.

Quote Originally Posted by mr117 View Post
    Apple is in business. What reason do they have to allow jailbreak? None. It's not in their best interest to do so.
    Yes, this would be absolutely disastrous for their business model. However, if I could sell my mods/ themes on the AppStore... hmmmm...
    Last edited by Jahooba; 08-01-2010 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by floppy_joe View Post
    Monopoly

If you ask me to name the proudest distinction of Americans, I would choose- because it contains all the others- the fact that they were the people who created the phrase "to make money". No other language or nation had ever used these words before; men had always thought of wealth as a static quantity- to be seized, begged, inherited, shared, looted or obtained as a favor. Americans were the first to understand that wealth has to be created. -Atlas Shrugged

In short, dont like it, then do better. Compete. Or don't pay. Just don't cry that it is unfair.
    I think the Romans would have something to say about that. They were among the first (if not the first) to be proficient at industry and money making (not to say there wasn't wealth creating from inheritance or begging or stealing), but there
    was certainly vast industry in Rome, industry from which people earned wealth and status.

Quote Originally Posted by ViiOLENT.HD// View Post
    Heres my two cents... If they do let you install Rock and Cydia it will not come preinstalled. There will be a seperate part of the appstore that EXCLUSIVELY says: Installing this software immeadiately disqualifies you from your warranty. They will let you install it but doing so voids the warranty. Just like you can buy a computer and its all good till you want to open the box and put in a video card. Your allowed to do it but it will void the warranty. I think this is the smartest way to do it. JUST SAYIN
    I agree, 90% of iPhone users can't handle having a j/b phone. And they are all 100% happy with the hundreds of thousands of apps they can choose from, for a very low price. Which also saves data in the backup and will never break in future updates.

Rockmyphone wants it legal because most of their customers are not as tech friendly as the rest of us, and the way rockmyi explains jailbreaking a phone on their site, it's makes it seem like jailbreaking is an automatic option for iPhone users, and they are entitled to a jailbreak with every firmware through apple, because most every app is a pay app in rock. (after blowing a hundred dollars on 3.1.2, upgrading to 4.0, not only can rock customers not jailbreak again, but 80% of those apps won't support 4.0)

Apple won't allow The phone to be jailbroken, and if they somehow magically did, they would void your warranty and it would be registered to your iTunes account. And that's something I do NOT need.

Besides jailbreak=unlock, unlock=apple making a butt load less money though Att, we all know apple. Give the customers what they want? Or continue making billions from Att?

On top of that 90% of people who j/b their phone do it for free apps. I know some of us fall into the 10%, but for the masses of people, they think jailbreak=free stuff
    Last edited by babyblue_pimp; 08-01-2010 at 11:49 AM.

Unlocking is not an Apple issue (in the sense that jailbreaking is). Apple is in business to sell phones and, especially, apps. Unlocking doesn't really affect Apple's business model. They make get more $ from an exclusivity deal with AT&T (remember, all you whiners about Verizon, that Verizon turned down the deal that AT&T took), but unlocking your phone after your contract is up does not affect Apple financially. I see that portion of this ruling as the most clear-cut. No one can stop you from unlocking your phone, at least legally. The problem is that Apple has made it difficult to do so. This is where I think a lawsuit could make a big difference. Jailbreaking is just along for the ride on that issue. As for allowing other apps on the phone, that's going to be harder to force Apple to do in court. I really see this as just taking the legal threat out of the equation. We can legally jailbreak and unlock. That doesn't mean Apple has to make it easy for us to do so, just that we can't be prosecuted after the fact. What comes next? I would guess, Class Action lawsuits and threats in Congress. But, Congress runs on $ and who has more, Apple or a bunch of people with iPhones? Don't hold your breath.
    Senior

My iPhone is a Part of Me coolguy742's Avatar
    Thanks

Apple: Draconian Communists.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast