+ Reply
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Jailbreakers to Apple: “This is only the beginning...”

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I wish people would stop saying that "jailbreaking is now legal". It's not. All the Copyright Office has said is they're not going to prosecute jailbreakers.

"Persons making noninfringing uses of the following six classes of works will not be subject to the prohibition against circumventing access controls (17 U.S.C. § 1201(a)(1)) until the conclusion of the next rulemaking."

U.S. Copyright Office - Anticircumvention Rulemaking

And with "the next rulemaking", they may change their mind and start prosecuting people again.

And nothing in this policy says that Apple can't prosecute jailbreakers for violating their license agreement.

This isn't the big deal the EFF is trying to make it out to be. It's one small victory in a long, long battle, and kudos to the EFF et al for their efforts. But there's still a long way to go.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ownerofspam View Post
    Psht. If only Saurik would have been there with them.

"Hi, we're here to represent Rock Your Phone. To my right, is Saurik. And even though you'll spend more time at a "Reloading Data" screen than you will installing apps using his marketplace then you will using ours, I would like to point out that he has an epic beard, and Steve Jobs, doesn't. Who would you want managing your iPhone Applications, Beardless Jobs, or Epic Beard Saurik?"
    Say what you want about Cydia load times but in my opinion, and most others, Rock is pure junk. Amen to the choice but I choose not to install any trash from Rock.

Thanks

having cydia and rock available like that would be, to say the least amazing. just imagining the day your brand new stock iphone comes with cydia and rock installed next to the app store. one can dream right?
    Quote Originally Posted by ??????
    Hi. Does anyone know is iBlacklist available in the app store? can it only be purchased outside the app store? If so, is it hard to install? Thanks everyone.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BboyAirrick View Post
    Sweeet.....cydia on the app store? Awesome possum!
    That will not happen any time soon.....Never say never but.....NEVER.

iPhone? More like MyPhone skater38053's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Darkflame View Post

Lastly, if you submit your device for whatever reason and they decide to remove your jailbreak that you legally placed on there I wonder how long till someone tries to sue apple over it... Considering we do live in a sue all society! LOL

I would be the first

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thevmax View Post
    I buy "something".
    I think it is "mine"!
    But, wait..."NO" I am told, it belongs to the company that made it?
    How is this even possible?!?
    They never claim to own your device they just own the software you use to run the device. Software you are using as part of a license you agreed to.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to skj8100 For This Useful Post:

ploth (08-01-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    i think jailbreaking has become mainstream. it can be a good and or bad thing. :/

9. The Following User Says Thank You to LxNos7 For This Useful Post:

Shishir G (08-01-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SnowLeo View Post
    Didnt comex or one of the dev team guys say they may have found a way to use an exploit that apple wouldnt be able to fix in a software update?
    I'm pretty sure that was just something geohot said he was coming up with.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Those guy's have stones!!! Good for them!!

I'm 100% for Jailbreaking and Unlocking, my question is will these guy's take responsibility for apps being distributed through their store? Although Apple has monopoly on the app distribution they take some responsibility on the content. My fear is only regarding viruses and information protection. Although illegal copy of copyrighted programs also deserves protection.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    woow. Apple could be metaphorically "pwned" if the congressional higher-ups back rock's case for a freer app market. The precedent was set with Microsoft so they do have a good leg to stand on in their case. I just hope rock has enough political power to make it a significant enough issue for congress to take action.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SnowLeo View Post
    Didnt comex or one of the dev team guys say they may have found a way to use an exploit that apple wouldnt be able to fix in a software update? If thats coming tomarrow or any time in the near future not only would it not be nessisary to put it in the app store but I might just sh*t myself lol.........
    It was George Hotz doosh bag...by the way, all he did was say " hey. I've got this really cool thing. I know it and you don't. I won't proove it but it's really true. And by the way you can't have it because I won't release it." then he goes on to cry and complain how everyone is sooooo mean to him and he doesn't know why and then he says " SCREW YOU GUYS.... I'm going home"...[f4gg0t]

Thanks

lol thank god the govt smacked some sense into apple

Thanks

This changes everything. Pro-the general public will not have to wait for jailbreaks like we had to wait for 0.93...that won't happen. Con-apple will simply unlock the phone for u and cydia will be optional since they unlock it in other countries.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Trooper Sam's Avatar
    Thanks

I had been speculating about the jailbreak declaration, and about how it might lead to some bigger players in the market. I had, however, failed to add two and two and come up with the result of four. Apple's behavior is hugely anti-competitive...it's quite nearly a slam dunk!

Thanks

We all know apple wants it there way or the highway, but anyway if apple was a lil bit smarter they would include all jailbreak apps and themes into there app store and if there so afraid it will slow down there iDevices they should put a warning that says this app or theme may slow down there device install at your own risk not responsible for malfunctions once installed and apple makes more money and calls it a day. that's if apple was a lil bit smarter.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by javiert30 View Post
    Cydia and Rock your phone on app store, that will be great...
    I doubt apple would include them in the appstore.
    But if this did happen they'd probably just make it possible to drag and drap apps into iTunes and install them to your system partition (where cydia apps go now in /Applications) but would hide the feature from any feature lists so that most people wouldn't now they could.

Then we'd just need to go download the newest version of Cydia and sync it over with iTunes instead of downloading the newest jailbreaking tools.

The interesting thing with this over all the other "no need for a jailbreak anymore" stories is that because they've gone to the US government and are using the argument that there are other AppStores but unless jailbroken Apple has 100% control over a $1.3 billion/year market this could happen, (governments like ordering monopolies around).

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Freerunnering For This Useful Post:

Shishir G (08-01-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Antman217's Avatar
    Thanks

Can someone please tell me what's so bad about rock cuz I've been using it for about a year and I have had no problems. (except for that one diskdev-cmd problem which was quickly fixed)

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Antman217 For This Useful Post:

Kyle Matthews (08-01-2010), Shishir G (08-01-2010)

Thanks

apple would never publish cydia in the appstore. If forced, they may allow a way to install it through itunes, but it would definitely required user knowledge rather than "oh, cool! free app!".
    right.

but then again if is about freedom then whos to say something better than itunes wont come arround

23. The Following User Says Thank You to stfudvs For This Useful Post:

Shishir G (08-01-2010)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,938 Times in 1,095 Posts

If The great book Atlas Shrugged were rewritten today, it could be called Apple Shrugged.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to floppy_joe For This Useful Post:

Shishir G (08-01-2010)

Thanks

If Cydia is available wtf is the point of the App Store?

Quote Originally Posted by smooth22 View Post
    We all know apple wants it there way or the highway, but anyway if apple was a lil bit smarter they would include all jailbreak apps and themes into there app store and if there so afraid it will slow down there iDevices they should put a warning that says this app or theme may slow down there device install at your own risk not responsible for malfunctions once installed and apple makes more money and calls it a day. that's if apple was a lil bit smarter.
    If Apple was gonna allow Cydia by themselves, they would fix their hardware to run along side with it without slowing down.
    The only reason cydia slows down your iDevice is because its not made for the device, if it was it wouldn't be.
    Last edited by Shishir G; 08-01-2010 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost