+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: The "War" Over Location-Based Services

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
    MMi Staff Writer Paul Daniel Ash's Avatar
    Thanks

Default The "War" Over Location-Based Services

TechCrunch had a good piece out today on Apple's revelation that they now have their own location database, (instead of Google and Skyhook's) since iOS 3.2. (Of course, we reported that more than a week ago ;-) ) TechCrunch's MC Siegler reached out to Skyhook for comment, and while they didn't say anything about their deal with Apple, they did allow that location data "is going [to] be huge and owning it is going to be the next big war in mobile.“ Apple's already made some early moves to arm up for this "war," with its declaration of independence from Google just the first step.

Location-based services (LBS) on mobile phones are nothing new. After all, most of us use Google Maps quite a lot, especially when we're on the move. When you're out of your neighborhood, you sometimes need to find somewhere to eat, maybe a drug store, an ATM, etc. We've also seen a plethora of different LBS applications that will do things like tell us where our phones are, warn of traffic jams and speed traps ahead, and turn your phone's camera into an AR browser. Apple's clearly taken note of the possibilities of LBS for the iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch: iAd is just the latest example of ways Apple tries to leverage location data to improve its services (and make money, obviously). A patent it took out back in 2008 describes a whole social-networking service that would let you connect with other iOS users in your immediate area. It only makes sense for Apple to want to have complete control of the location data it needs to make all that work.

Meanwhile, Skyhook Wireless, who got left high and dry by Apple, is apparently looking for a buyer. In what is almost a Skyhook "FOR SALE" ad on the Silicon Valley Insider (which "shares an investor" with Skyhook), Dan Frommer wonders if it will be Microsoft or HP, with their new "iPad killers, who will hook up with Skyhook, or whether it'll be a handset maker like RIM or Motorola, or if Qualcomm or Cisco will want to snap it up. Skyhook said it's a "war," so I guess that makes them… what, mercenaries?

Source: TechCrunch

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Daniel Ash For This Useful Post:

Freerunnering (07-30-2010), Ray2kay (07-30-2010)

Thanks

"Big Brother" again?

iPhone? More like MyPhone 808mp5's Avatar
    Thanks

if i have to pay... i'll stick with google
    "Search" is your friend

adp
    Thanks

Reason for the war:

If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

6. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to adp For This Useful Post:

disenchanted (07-31-2010), domaid (07-30-2010), HeartGoldZephyr95 (07-30-2010), High_Voltage (07-30-2010), mbeezy81 (07-30-2010), ncnyxx13 (07-30-2010), phreakwenci (07-30-2010), QuinnNebula (07-31-2010), ronfin44 (07-31-2010), taz1981m (07-30-2010), tgabriel123 (07-31-2010), xerray (07-31-2010)

OS X - excellent enough to put on phones LGgeek's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adp View Post
    reason for the war:

lol
    I don't drink kool-Aid, I don't join cults.
    This is why I break out in cold sweat going to Apple retail store.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Reason for the war:

HAHAHAHA thats just funny dude.

iPhone? More like MyPhone macsoldier's Avatar
    Thanks

Apple has just taken advantage of opportunity they almost crashed to just about nothing once before the Ipod, I see this as just another step of taking initiative on some of the most used things people use in todays world. I would like to know more about Apple and Googles Relationship.

iPhone? More like MyPhone High_Voltage's Avatar
    Thanks

reason for the war:

wow

iPhone? More like MyPhone br8thw8's Avatar
    Thanks
    Maybe this is a bit off topic but has anyone else noticed how bad Google has gotten in regards to their Maps directions. I used them extensively and I'm now starting to find upwards of a 90% error rate. What I'm saying is that 9 times out of 10 I find an error of some sort when getting directions using their maps, whether on an iOS device or from Google maps through a browser on a desktop, any desktop. I find things from not being able to locate the address, giving directions in the wrong direction, taking long circuitous routes to the destination, etc. I'm not promoting Yahoo in anyway but lately they have been a bit more accurate.

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

Hmm of course Microsoft will buy them. Or perhaps RIM. After all no one seems to want to take a risk against apples innovate market. They all seem to be happy with coming out with the latest and greatest ikiller products instead of thinking for themselves. I really hope the Apple chasers leave the bread crumbs to the birds and get back to newer ideas that are not based off of what Apple product they can steal customers from. Give us consumers some new products that don't already have an APPLE logo on them! And just for the record...the iPod, iPhone, iPad-"killer" products are getting a little old... Make me WANT to spend my $ elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by br8thw8 View Post
    Maybe this is a bit off topic but has anyone else noticed how bad Google has gotten in regards to their Maps directions. I used them extensively and I'm now starting to find upwards of a 90% error rate. What I'm saying is that 9 times out of 10 I find an error of some sort
    when getting directions using their maps, whether on an iOS device or from Google maps through a browser on a desktop, any desktop. I find things from not being able to locate the address, giving directions in the wrong direction, taking long circuitous routes to the destination, etc. I'm not promoting Yahoo in anyway but lately they have been a bit more accurate.
    I noticed that too. Perhaps Google is about to market a paid version that claims to be more accurate than the free version... Hmmm. Lol
    I use Navigon for me they are extremely accurate all over the world. But... Comes at a price as well... As for yahoo, well in my area they can't seem to find the broad side of a barn.
    Last edited by kuhndsn; 07-30-2010 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Reason for the war:

lmao

I don't really like location-based services. Hopefully, there will be an option to turn off these services.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

Thanks

I like connecting with my friends but not that much. Even though I got the option to control the location service, but still I don't like where this is heading.

Thanks
    SkyHook / SkyNet. Isn't this how the Terminator thing started?

MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Thanks

Reason for the war:

That's funny and horrible at the same time !!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by awesomeiPod View Post
    lmao

I don't really like location-based services. Hopefully, there will be an option to turn off these services.
    There is. It's called "Settings>General>Location Services>Off"
    I think I win for the most lame avatar

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kuhndsn View Post
    Hmm of course Microsoft will buy them. Or perhaps RIM. After all no one seems to want to take a risk against apples innovate market.
    Here we go again with another Apple is the Innovator and nobody else can/wants to do anything post. Suck the tip a little softer please. Steve is getting a little raw down there.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by br8thw8 View Post
    Maybe this is a bit off topic but has anyone else noticed how bad Google has gotten in regards to their Maps directions. I used them extensively and I'm now starting to find upwards of a 90% error rate. What I'm saying is that 9 times out of 10 I find an error of some sort when getting directions using their maps, whether on an iOS
    device or from Google maps
    through a browser on a
    desktop, any desktop. I find
    things from not being able to
    locate the address, giving
    directions in the wrong
    direction, taking long circuitous
    routes to the destination, etc.
    I'm not promoting Yahoo in
    anyway but lately they have
    been a bit more
    accurate.
    . Yup, I notice it all the time when trying to get directions but thankfully I usualy have a general knowledge about where I'm goin so no big deal.
    However when I can't find a business or and address through any mobil yellow page app I can usually find through google search

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    Here we go again with another Apple is the Innovator and nobody else can/wants to do anything post. Suck the tip a little softer please. Steve is getting a little raw down there.
    Ok it's getting a little old with you bashing and your stupid sexual inuendo's. I really do not appreciate it nor the fact that you pick only part of what is posted. I'm no Apple fan boy on the contrary. However the fact of the matter has nothing to do with what was posted. It has to do with your childish remarks. Agree to disagree is fine but leave the childish remarks for your own circle of friends. People do not come here to be bashed in a manner that you have been doing. I don't know what I did to you to piss you off to deserve these types of remarks but if you wish to continue at least be man enough to pm me and I'll be happy to give you my phone number so we can discuss what ever it is that makes you feel the need to post such rude sexual remarks.

Moderators---is this what this site has become? A place for people to be Internet tough and be rude to it's members. Childish!!!

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

Skyhook has a great chance to bring location services to multiple cellphone companies. There are only so many iPhones that are out numbered by other smartphones. They would do well to bring a business strategy that puts them head to head against Apple.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainChaos For This Useful Post:

SFS (07-31-2010)

Thanks

Reason for the war:

lmao!
    "The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear"

'Follow Me on Twitter@Markanthony3211' I always Follow Back.