+ Reply
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Looking into Sluggish iPhone 3G After iOS4 Upgrade

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
It's really a shame how iOS4 operates on iPhone 3G despite disabling most of its features to maintain its performance as Apple claimed.
    Thanks

It's really a shame how iOS4 operates on iPhone 3G despite disabling most of its features to maintain its performance as Apple claimed.

My iPhone is a Part of Me tudtran's Avatar
    Thanks

I got the same problem. I have to downgrade to 3.1.2.

h2a
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kupochan View Post
    Upgrading to iOS4 practically ruined my 3G. The only real option was to downgrade back to 3.1.2. Let's not forget that the 3GS was only released last year so it's not even like I'm running an obsolete phone and it's crazy they would try to phase it out already
    Well, technically your phone is exactly the same (with the exception of 3G and GPS) as the first generation iPhone. so for arguments sake, your phone is based on 3 year old technology, going on 4.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to h2a For This Useful Post:

Assassination (08-04-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I can understand the older slower 3G having problems with IOS4 but i can't understand how some 3GS people are having problems. 3GS is considerably faster than the 2G or 3G.

I have a 3GS with iOS4 and it works perfectly. No bugs, no crashes, no slow down what so ever. Never crashed once.
    iPhone 5 (iOS 7 JB) - Macbook PRO 13.3 10.9 - Core2Quad Windows 7

adp
    Thanks

">" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

7. The Following User Says Thank You to adp For This Useful Post:

Thanks

A clean DFU restore to iOS4.01 and the phone is almost as snappy as 3.13.
    Upgrading from 3.xx is what causes most problems or restoring from a backup made in 3.xx but a DFU restore is definitely faster than a non-DFU restore which is a bit surprising.
    Enabling Multitasking or wallpaper also affects performance a lot - probably why Apple have them disabled.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nave3d View Post
    3G shouldnt even have OS4. why do people even own a 3G anymore? I gave mine to my daughter and it still has 3.1.2 but shes 3 and it works perfect for her

I still have a G3, Mainly because I can't afford a $500 to $600 dollar phone right now. People still have 3G because a lot of us bought ours 2 months before the 3GS was released, and are not eligible for an upgrade yet. Hell I'm still not eligible until April or May of next year before I can upgrade.

So in closing that is "why people still own 3G".

Have a nice day
    Lurpticon
    iPhone 4 4.2.1 Untethered

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Lurpticon For This Useful Post:

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nave3d View Post
    3G shouldnt even have OS4. why do people even own a 3G anymore? I gave mine to my daughter and it still has 3.1.2 but shes 3 and it works perfect for her
    Maybe because people got one on a 24 month contract you dope !!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

You cant expect to run a new OS on old hard ware of course its not gonna perform well lol. Its like taking a windows 98 pc and throwing on xp or vista lol. Either stick with the old OS or upgrade your hardware and stop complaining your phone is like 4 years old.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Typical Apple.

User: I cant use the new update.
    Apple: Your device is outdated, you have to upgrade
    User: I got it less than 2 years ago
    Apple: OMG that is like forever ago, we dont support ancient products
    User: But I cant just use my old software you forced me update my OS and now my phone barely works, and if I get a new one, all of my old cases and accessories wont work.

Apple: So what?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by INFAMOUS350 View Post
    You cant expect to run a new OS on old hard ware of course its not gonna perform well lol. Its like taking a windows 98 pc and throwing on xp or vista lol. Either stick with the old OS or upgrade your hardware and stop complaining your phone is like 4 years old.
    Dont be ridiculous the iphone 3G is 2 years old it was released on the 11th July 2008

My PS3 is 5 Years old and cost significanlty less than my iphone, yet it works perfectly after firmware updates.

So yes damn right I should complain !!

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone[/ame]

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brfc1875 For This Useful Post:

Assassination (08-04-2010), darwina (08-01-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by INFAMOUS350 View Post

Your completely right. And That is why I went back to 3.1.3
    But I'm sticking with my story of I can't upgrade for another 8 to 9 month from now

DAMN YOU AT&T with your 2 year contract!

With Love
    Lurpticon

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yep I am ith 02 in the UK and I must have got the 3G about 1 month before the 3gS came OUT !!!

I have also gone back to 3.1.3

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brfc1875 View Post
    Dont be ridiculous the iphone 3G is 2 years old it was released on the 11th July 2008

My PS3 is 5 Years old and cost significanlty less than my iphone, yet it works perfectly after firmware updates.

So yes damn right I should complain !!

iPhone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Good point...But

As well as the XboX 360 and the PS3 both go. Microsoft and Sony do not have "The Next Gen Console" out yet. So the hardware will all ways have to support the software. Because if they don't then they are both dumb.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Back to 3.1.3 for ME
    I actually downgraded my phone back to 3.1.3 after having multiple issues of apps crashing. DEFINITELY a problem for the 3G!

Thanks

I still use a 3G because I still like it.
    I can't justify the cost of upgrading. The 3GS was better and the iPhone 4 is better still, but is it worth me shelling out 500+ (less what I'd get for my 3G)?
    I've yet to convince myself. Maybe when T-Mobile get it and my contract runs out in October, but until then I'm still happy with my 3G running iOS4.01
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

What's Jailbreak? DontBplayaHaten's Avatar
    Thanks

I got a 3g and it run better now then when it was running 3.1.2 & im jailbroken on 4.0

I have a 3g and it run way better on 4.0 i am jailbroken too
    Last edited by DontBplayaHaten; 07-29-2010 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shanks12 View Post
    I noticed a big difference in speed by turning off the Spotlight Search on my 3G. I never used it anyway.. Seemed to make it run faster overall.. Especially openeing and closing apps..

settings > general > home button > spotlight search> Uncheck All

Try that and see if that helps ya at all..
    Try this ^ if your 3G is running that bad.. Helped mine out...

Thanks

I have mentioned the performance with 4.0 on the 3G many days ago. Solution-Run redsnow de-select everything and let it finish. Next, uncheck all spotlight. The Problem is Winterboards "user wallpaper" does not work with 4.0 as well as alot of Cydia Themes. This means a black homescreen is all your going to enjoy. fyi: if u run redsnow and add any 1 of the features: battery percentage, multitasking, or homescreen anyone of them will slow down the 3G. I absolutely love the "homescreen feature." I added that feature cuz I don't like all black homescreen. Another speed fix is not adding Winterboard! I know don't fall out the chair. If your on 4.0 and want your 3G fast, don't add Winterboard, uncheck spotlight, and deselect all features in redsnow. Your 3G will be perfectly fast and unlocked (adding ultrasn0w 0.93) via cydia. My 2 cents.
    Last edited by mikerlx; 07-29-2010 at 08:42 AM.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by westerman View Post
    The 3G iPhones processor is just to slow to handle it properly. It's like trying to install windows vista on a desktop 5 years old it will work but will be slow as hell and will crash constiently.
    Vista was total crap from the get-go on even brand new machines. If you're trying to install Vista on a 5-year old machine, you're an idiot just for trying to install Vista, period.

Windows 7, on the other hand, runs flawlessly on an 8 year old Dell Dimension that I setup for my son.

+ Reply
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast