Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Unveils Safari 5.0.1 with Extensions and Plugs Security Threat

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,482 Times in 568 Posts

Default Apple Unveils Safari 5.0.1 with Extensions and Plugs Security Threat

Apple has rolled out Safari 5.0.1, the newest tip-top version of its Web browser. Via the newly launched gallery (or straight from a dev's site), users can now download the extensions, which are powerful, sophisticated, and deliver some pretty nifty new features, like web filtering programs and even toolbars that serve up live web feeds.

Extensions are a great way for you to add new features to Safari 5.0.1. Built by developers, Safari Extensions use the latest HTML5, CSS3, and JavaScript web technologies.
    Overall, the update comes as a pretty effective means to advance the browser to where other big players - like Firefox - have been for a while. Jam packed in the update are extensions from Twitter, Bing, eBay, Amazon, MLB, etc. The Safari Extensions Gallery can be accessed from the Safari menu or at extensions.apple.com. Apple points out that you can download and install extensions with "a single click" and without the need to close and re-open your browser. In case you're wondering, extensions are automatically updated and you can manage the extensions according to your preferences - easily enabling or disabling individual extensions as you see fit.

Amidst heightened security concerns in recent weeks, Apple is making it clear that Safari Extensions are sandboxed. "In addition to activating extensions," Apple Insider noted, "Apple's latest update to the Safari Web browser also plugs a potentially dangerous security hole that could allow hackers to obtain a user's personal information." Fortunately, greater security is backed up by greater stability, with Safari extensions running exclusively in the browser. I'm happy to report a smooth and seamless process in installing and enjoying the new extensions, with user customization as effortless but also as sophisticated as one would hope.

To get Safari 5.0.1, click here.

Apple
    Apple Insider
    Last edited by Michael Essany; 07-28-2010 at 10:29 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

Freerunnering (07-28-2010)

Thanks

I haven't use safari in a long time.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Here we go again. I take it that now if a developer creates a plugin and apple doesn't like it it will be turned down??? App store all over again?

My iPhone is a Part of Me Wilbourn's Avatar
    Thanks

Have you seen any kind of extension/add-on that allows you to change the look/style of Safari as a whole? The extensions/add-on's idea is great but I'd really like it if I'm finally able to alter the look of Safari.
    You see that "Thanks!" button? It likes it when you click it!

Quote Originally Posted by tudtran View Post
    I haven't use safari in a long time.
    Me either. Had issues with Safari 4, made the switch to Chrome and never looked back.

Maybe it's time to give Safari another try.

Chrome>Safari

Thanks

I switched to FireFox and had no problem with it.
    Asking for help is different from being stupid. Fanboys can rot in @#$%!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

So safari is now doing things that other web browsers have been doing for years? Oh that's nice. Apple: This changes everything. Again. If you ignore what other companies have been doing long before us.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Luppin For This Useful Post:

Shishir G (07-28-2010)

After I checked the performance of my browsers on peacekeeper's site, I switched to Chrome. It's good that Safari is finally getting addons, but until it can compete with Chrome, I'm sticking with what I got.

And I agree with scatman - the first thing I thought about with this is how the process is going to work with developers wanting to create additional extensions for the newer version.

MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by corkey20000 View Post
    Chrome>Safari
    Chrome is way > Than Safari

Switched back from chrome for safari because of safari 5
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Still on firefox and don't see myself switching to any other browser anytime soon..

Guys before judging the web browser, give it a try first.
    I just did, and i'm impressed with their improvements, Just as I was with IE 8 which they made faster, and more stable.
    Safari is way faster than before, the only thing is the appearance, I'm so used to the chrome and firefox toolbar looks, i want to be able to change those and i'm all good. Apple, nice update. Really impressive.

Green Apple
    Thanks

lots of safari hatters, i personally prefer safari over chrome on my mac...but hey, thats just me
    Previous Phone: AT&T Tilt
    Rom:Phoenix3 Win6.5 -Also Running Android 1.5-
    Radio:1.71.xx.x

Carrier: AT&T

iPhone? More like MyPhone yentrog31's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LastSonOfKrypton View Post
    Me either. Had issues with Safari 4, made the switch to Chrome and never looked back.

Maybe it's time to give Safari another try.
    ditto..Safari has never worked well on my brand new iMac..and ever since the last update it is as slow as molasses.....I'll stick w/ Chrome.
    "It takes a rare thing, a turning point, to free oneself from any obsession. Be it prejudice or hate, or, even love"

i liked safari and used it for like a year but i ultimately changed too many issues with security

Green Apple
    Thanks

maybe ill give chrome a try when i get home...after I play SC2 that is =]
    Previous Phone: AT&T Tilt
    Rom:Phoenix3 Win6.5 -Also Running Android 1.5-
    Radio:1.71.xx.x

Carrier: AT&T

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisRC1985 View Post
    maybe ill give chrome a try when i get home...after I play SC2 that is =]
    As little as I use my PC so far Chrome is my browser of choice. Light on resources and all around fast.

you can't quit chrome from the dock on a mac for some reason. I've done testing and from what I've found, safari is the fastest, cleanest browser for me.

Twitter: @tshoults

This is good news. I have been using chrome, but the extensions could bring me back to safari. Chrome's download manager kills me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast