+ Reply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Unlocked iPhone 4s to Hit Canada on Friday

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
now this unlocked iphone is only 4 the iphone 4 or all iphones ? and does apple give u the unlocking or do u have to do it yourself like
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default unlocked iphone
    now this unlocked iphone is only 4 the iphone 4 or all iphones ?
    and does apple give u the unlocking or do u have to do it yourself like we have been doing all along
    does this also work on the 3gs or just the iphon4

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    ok I'm a little confused with all the reply's
    in this thread . I live in L.A. California U.S.A , but
    I have a friend that lives in Canada . If I have
    him goto the Apple store out there & buy me an
    Iphone 4 , Is it unlocked & can I use it with my
    T-mobile card when he ships it to me ???

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PAPER CHASER View Post
    ok I'm a little confused with all the reply's
    in this thread . I live in L.A. California U.S.A , but
    I have a friend that lives in Canada . If I have
    him goto the Apple store out there & buy me an
    Iphone 4 , Is it unlocked & can I use it with my
    T-mobile card when he ships it to me ???
    Yes from the apple store in Canada, it will be unlocked and yes you can use a Tmobile Sim card. However, be aware it will not work on 3G only edge 2G. This is because the Tmobile 3G frequency is not compatible with the Iphone. The impact you will see is slower data.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to nebo1ss For This Useful Post:

PAPER CHASER (07-29-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nebo1ss View Post
    Yes from the apple store in Canada, it will be unlocked and yes you can use a Tmobile Sim card. However, be aware it will not work on 3G only edge 2G. This is because the Tmobile 3G frequency is not compatible with the Iphone. The impact you will see is slower data.
    THANK YOU for clearing that up for me

Thanks

^ but be warned, it will be expensive

Thanks

$649 for 16gig and $750 for 32gig (canadian funds of course) limit 2 per person.

All phones in canada will be unlocked but only kept unlocked if you purchase at full price from the apple store. If you choose to renew your contract or start a new one with the BIG 3, it will be locked to that carrier at the store.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by equlizer View Post
    $649 for 16gig and $750 for 32gig (canadian funds of course) limit 2 per person.

All phones in canada will be unlocked but only kept unlocked if you purchase at full price from the apple store. If you choose to renew your contract or start a new one with the BIG 3, it will be locked to that carrier at the store.
    Live rates at 2010.07.30 05:20:00 UTC
    750.00 CAD = 724.062 USD view CAD/USD chart
    Canada Dollars United States Dollars
    1 CAD = 0.965416 USD 1 USD = 1.03582 CAD

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by equlizer View Post
    Not exactly correct. If you choose purchase the device at the Apple store, it will be unlocked and the carrier you choose to buy your voice and data services from will not lock your iphone to them and you are free to change carriers at any time. If you pay full price for an iphone 4 from a carrier (Rogers, Fido, Telus, Bell), you are not required to buy a voice & data plan, but your phone will be locked to the carrier. Finally, if you purchase a phone with a 2 or 3 year voice and data plan from a carrier it will be locked to the carrier as well, but the phone will be cheaper.

If you are purchasing a phone to resell on ebay or craigslist for a profit, then it is best to purchase your iphone from the Apple store because then your potential purchaser can use the phone with any carrier they choose.

If you are purchasing an iphone 4 because you already have a better voice or data plan (example unlimited) then your best bet is to purchase the iphone from the Apple store unlocked as it doesn't make sense to purchase it from the carrier your plan is because then not only is your plan on that carrier, but your iphone will be locked to them as well. Down side of the iphone 4 is it uses the micro-sim card, so you will either have to cut your current sim card to fit or try and get a micro-sim card from your carrier with the same number and plan to put into your iphone. (I have know idea how easy that would be).

If you are a new phone purchaser and want to buy an iphone 4, then you might as well sign up for a 2 or 3 year plan with the iphone purchase as the price for the iphone with a 3 year contract are around $159 (16GB) & $269 (32GB) which is a $480 & $490 savings respectively.

Unfortunately, it seems, if you need a new data or voice plan... maybe even a new micro-sim card there is no point in purchasing an unlocked iphone 4, unless you are a major international traveler, as carriers are not discounting their voice and data plans because you already own the iphone. Now, if Rogers, Fido, Bell and Telus offered a discount of $13 per month on their plans if you already own your own iphone then over a 3 year term cost would work out to about the same $13 x 36 months = $468.

Personally, I'm looking at getting a 3GS (locked to my carrier or unlocked) from those dumping theirs for an iphone 4 because my sim card fits and it allows me to keep my awesome voice and unlimited data plan all for less the half the cost of an unlocked iphone 4.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Trooper Sam's Avatar
    Thanks

Looks like you can order direct from the Apple Store Canada website. I haven't pulled the trigger, but it doesn't seem to balk at my information.

EDIT: It doesn't like my state and ZIP, so maybe not.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper Sam View Post
    Looks like you can order direct from the Apple Store Canada website. I haven't pulled the trigger, but it doesn't seem to balk at my information.

EDIT: It doesn't like my state and ZIP, so maybe not.
    Correct, you cannot order from the Canadian Apple store any more then us Canadian's can order from the US Apple store. They will either get you at the address info (which if you have a cross boarder freight forwarder you can get buy this) or at the credit card section (they can tell the difference between a US cc or CDN cc).

If you really want one, the best way is to find a "friend" in Canada who will place the order and ship it to you for a "small fee." Unfortunately, even us in Canada are have a three week wait for online orders, so it'd be 4 or 5 weeks before you'd get it.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to iPadnewb For This Useful Post:

Trooper Sam (07-30-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me Trooper Sam's Avatar
    Thanks

I'd have to decide how important a factory unlock is to me, and if I decided it was worth it, then I'd go with the friend idea. I'm sure I know SOMEBODY up there.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jokimo View Post
    The iPhone 4 is coming unlocked to Denmark on Friday too...
    yes but there is not many available.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bouzo's Avatar
    Thanks

Well I just got my iphone 4 this morning (2 of them) from Fido in Winnipeg. They had a whopping 7 phones total. I can confirm immediately that the death grip problem does in fact occur with me on Fido's network. Goes all the way to No Service and/or degrades data from 3G to Edge. Oddly, I am in Orlando tonight, roaming on AT&T, and the death grip only affects my signal by one or two bars as I still retain signal.

Now when I say death grip, I am not clenching the damn thing, but holding it normally with my left hand. This is bad considering I like to hold and use it with one hand all the time (using my left thumb). My 3G NEVER had this problem. Not sure what I'm gonna do, thinking about returning them. This is really disappointing and reflects poorly on Apple in my opinion. I think I am gonna wait until the Galaxy 'S' arrives. Does anyone know though if by returning the phones, this gets me out of my contract that I just renewed? How would that work if I am returning the phones as defective?

Btw, they are on iOS 4.0

Livin the iPhone Life Bluemoldycheeze88's Avatar
    Thanks

They should just release these in the states. They really need to do what they do in Canada offer them at a no commitment price which would come unlocked and a discounted price which would be locked with a 2 year agreement with a service provider.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Apple. View Post
    Don't start rumors. The upcoming unlock tool from the dev team will not Factory unlock your phone. It is a software unlock. If you update or restore then the unlock goes away just like the unlocks from them in the past.

What muscle nerd was saying was that it's possible to do a sec zone dump on the iPhone 4 that the person with the knowledge can attempt to brute force their unlock code so that it may be factory unlocked. But that is very difficult.
    What part of
    "Each phone has its own unique unlock code, the new unlock coming from the DevTeam will have the ability to assist you brute-force the unlock code for your phone

"# (bruteforcing your phones unique unlock code is huge computational effort, but to start you need seczone dump) 3:03 PM Jul 23rd via web

# Side benefit to this iPhone4 unlock effort: can do seczone dumper tool for those wanting to bruteforce their unlock code 2:54 PM Jul 23rd via web " ...MuscleNerd"
    are you misunderstanding?

Assist - to give aid or support", not once did I say it would do it for you, besides I quoted MuscleNerds actual tweets.
    People like you just piss me off, read the full post before you start jumping to conclusions next time.

Thanks

So talk to me. if someone can find out all passwords, etc for your iphone, (Gain access to password-protected iPhone, iPad and iPod backups!), could THE MAGICAL UNLOCK CODE be found too? would this code be stored on the phone and findable? If this is where we are going, 200 Euro would pay for itself in "factory" unlocking in no time. Any thoughts?
    unklbyl

+ Reply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234