+ Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Unlocked iPhone 4s to Hit Canada on Friday

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
I could be wrong ... *But at least the didn't jack up the price for unlocked phones (*Disclaimer - If you were going to buy the phone outright if you
    MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Thanks

I could be wrong ... *But at least the didn't jack up the price for unlocked phones (*Disclaimer - If you were going to buy the phone outright if you were an ATT customer without an upgrade)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Pros
    Can be used on any carrier including pay as you go plans
    No need to take expensive data plans as a way to get the iPhone
    High resell value (espicially on ebay to other countries)
    Feeling of telling of any carrier at any given point and going to another carrier at a whim (priceless)

CONS
    700-800$ up FRONT !!!!
    2 years tops before becoming obsolete
    Likely to stay on that same carrier for 2 years anyways and anybody with 800$ to shell upfront will want data on the go to anyways so savings on plans not likely

3. The Following User Says Thank You to francolasalsa For This Useful Post:

le_harve (07-27-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixfire425 View Post
    So does this mean that there will be a different firmware for the unlocked phones? or will it just read something in the hardware?
    BUMP

Can anybody confirm how exactly apple is "factory unlocking" iPhones, and how this differs from a software unlock that we are able to do through a jailbroken iPhone with ultrasnow for example?

I believe the apple unlock is software too..? Correct me if I'm wrong

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

There will be crazy lineups for the iPhone 4 here in Canada. Good thing i got mine few days before its US Launch :-D. Just need the unlock now. I wonder if you accidentally lets say restore a factory unlocked iPhone 4 on iTunes, will it get locked to a carrier?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

What I want to know is, how do I get an unlocked iPhone from Canada if I live in the US? Is there any companies out there like Borderlix that ship to the US?

I would buy one from Canada if I could, for 650.00. Seems like a bargain if you don't sign a contract which will cost you in the long run 3 times as much.

If anyone has an idea how to order form Apple Canada while living in US let me know please.

thanks,

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    From what I understand as long as you have an iPhone data plan it will work with any iPhone.. But the iPhone comes with micro sim so your gonna have to get them to send it to you.

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by UKROB86 View Post
    BUMP

Can anybody confirm how exactly apple is "factory unlocking" iPhones, and how this differs from a software unlock that we are able to do through a jailbroken iPhone with ultrasnow for example?

I believe carriers have the power to do this. Mine is factory
    Unlocked as all my iPhones. Aside from jb my phone remains unlocked on all upgrades. It's a carrier specific code not apples. However if u buy one thru USA it will be loaded with ATT's lock. Perhaps this will change. In Europe you can purchace a phone for say 20 with a contract. Or the same phone for a few hundred with no contract

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kuhndsn View Post
    I believe carriers have the power to do this. Mine is factory
    Unlocked as all my iPhones. Aside from jb my phone remains unlocked on all upgrades. It's a carrier specific code not apples. However if u buy one thru USA it will be loaded with ATT's lock. Perhaps this will change. In Europe you can purchace a phone for say 20 with a contract. Or the same phone for a few hundred with no contract
    Yea i know.. so the carriers upload something on the firmware to lock the phone, why can't we just upload a custom firmware with no carrier-lock.. and be unlocked right from the get-go. and then of course jailbreak that custom firmware. Since it's purely software and not hardware that locks/unlocks these phones...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Unlocked phones, carriers and Apple Canada...

Carriers that sell phones will sell them locked while the Canada Apple store can sell them unlocked. And yes they have been unlocked for a year, but not if you purchased from the carriers, only if you purchased directly from the apple store. This does not mean the carriers will stop subsidizing phones, this only means that now we have a choice, and choice is good.

Factory Unlocks, Dev Team and the next Ultrasn0w

Each phone has its own unique unlock code, the new unlock coming from the DevTeam will have the ability to assist you brute-force the unlock code for your phone

"# (bruteforcing your phones unique unlock code is huge computational effort, but to start you need seczone dump) 3:03 PM Jul 23rd via web

# Side benefit to this iPhone4 unlock effort: can do seczone dumper tool for those wanting to bruteforce their unlock code 2:54 PM Jul 23rd via web "
    ...MuscleNerd

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Laughingman-ca For This Useful Post:

UKROB86 (07-27-2010)

Thanks

hmmmmmm very interesting

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Laughingman-ca View Post

Carriers that sell phones will sell them locked while the Canada Apple store can sell them unlocked. And yes they have been unlocked for a year, but not if you purchased from the carriers, only if you purchased directly from the apple store. This does not mean the carriers will stop subsidizing phones, this only means that now we have a choice, and choice is good.

Each phone has its own unique unlock code, the new unlock coming from the DevTeam will have the ability to assist you brute-force the unlock code for your phone

"# (bruteforcing your phones unique unlock code is huge computational effort, but to start you need seczone dump) 3:03 PM Jul 23rd via web

# Side benefit to this iPhone4 unlock effort: can do seczone dumper tool for those wanting to bruteforce their unlock code 2:54 PM Jul 23rd via web "
    ...MuscleNerd
    ok thanks for clarifying a few things here

So the unique unlock code for each phone is no different at all from the way you unlock other phone brands like nokia, SE, etc.. If this is true then all you need to do is get ahold of this unlock code and then you can unlock for any carrier selection.
    Does this mean that if you call your carrier (eg rogers, fido, etc) you could essentially pay an extra fee somewhere down the line to obtain the unlock code for these iPhones?? This is what you used to be able to do with regular phones, if you bought them locked, and later decided you wanted them unlocked.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Messany View Post

This Friday, when the iPhone 4 is scheduled to debut in Canada, it seems the device will arrive already unlocked. In other words, Apple will be selling unlocked iPhone 4s through Bell, Rogers and Telus and, thus, iPhone 4 owners have the option to select their preferred wireless carrier.
    Are you sure about this? I suspect Apple will handle it the same way they do in Europe. The apple Store sells it SIM free and unlocked. The carriers still sell it locked but you can request an unlock after a certain period of service.

adp
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by abujala View Post
    If i buy a unlocked Canada phone would Tmobile 3G work?
    If so where can i get one?
    If you're talking about T-mobile USA, then no. 3G will still not work on T-mobile USA. Just because the phone is factory unlocked doesn't mean it comes with a different 3G antenna/receiver. Sorry.

Basically, the only difference between this and a "locked" AT&T iPhone 4 is that with this one you don't have to wait until the dev-team releases a JB/Unlock for you to update your Firmware. It's still the same phone.
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

ok thanks for clarifying a few things here

So the unique unlock code for each phone is no different at all from the way you unlock other phone brands like nokia, SE, etc.. If this is true then all you need to do is get ahold of this unlock code and then you can unlock for any carrier selection.
    Does this mean that if you call your carrier (eg rogers, fido, etc) you could essentially pay an extra fee somewhere down the line to obtain the unlock code for these iPhones?? This is what you used to be able to do with regular phones, if you bought them locked, and later decided you wanted them unlocked.

No, iPhones are done a little different and there is no way a carrier would unlock the iPhone, even for a fee, unless either forced by law or if you lived in a Country where they were forced to do so after your contract is up. It's not like other phones where you just type in your phone-specific code and you're done. I think your phone gets put on "the list" for unlocked phones and then you just sync with iTunes which then does all the work for you. From there on out, iTunes is able to recognize your device and can keep it unlocked each time that you upgrade.

I found a couple interesting discussions on the unlocking processes and the differences between utrasn0w and Apple's official unlock:

"The permanent unlock involves huge computational effort because, one can’t replace the baseband bootloader or firmware of a locked phone with an officially unlock iPhone. Because, unlock information resides in seczone. This so called seczone is unique to each phone. The lock status in the seczone consists of NCK token, IMEI, IMEI signature and a lock table. Baseband bootloader update or firmware update will not touch the seczone. So, once the locktable get updated with “the phone is unlocked” then you don’t have to worry about anything else. But, to do that we need and exploit which involves brute forcing the NCK from the seczone the CHIPID and the NORID...The current unlock, Ultrasn0w will be overwritten on reflash of the baseband and doesn’t touch the seczone or the locktables at all. To maintain the unlock we need to reapply the unlock patch for every baseband upgrade. But, having a successful brute force of your unique unlock code would give you your permanent unlock, no ultrasnow needed."

That might clear things up a little bit, or maybe just make things more confusing..
    Last edited by kraziebone; 07-27-2010 at 12:23 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to kraziebone For This Useful Post:

UKROB86 (07-27-2010)

Thanks

This is has been discussed in the past alot. google it. Apple unlock is something to do with the chip ID's inside the phone, Itunes then determines i guess by comparing with some databse what the lock status of the device will be
    BUMP

dude you dont know what you are talking about!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Laughingman-ca View Post

...MuscleNerd
    Last edited by alirz; 07-27-2010 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

19. The Following User Says Thank You to alirz For This Useful Post:

UKROB86 (07-27-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kraziebone View Post
    No, iPhones are done a little different and there is no way a carrier would unlock the iPhone, even for a fee, unless either forced by law or if you lived in a Country where they were forced to do so after your contract is up. It's not like other phones where you just type in your phone-specific code and you're done. I think your phone gets put on "the list" for unlocked phones and then you just sync with iTunes which then does all the work for you. From there on out, iTunes is able to recognize your device and can keep it unlocked each time that you upgrade.

I found a couple interesting discussions on the unlocking processes and the differences between utrasn0w and Apple's official unlock:

"The permanent unlock involves huge computational effort because, one can’t replace the baseband bootloader or firmware of a locked phone with an officially unlock iPhone. Because, unlock information resides in seczone. This so called seczone is unique to each phone. The lock status in the seczone consists of NCK token, IMEI, IMEI signature and a lock table. Baseband bootloader update or firmware update will not touch the seczone. So, once the locktable get updated with “the phone is unlocked” then you don’t have to worry about anything else. But, to do that we need and exploit which involves brute forcing the NCK from the seczone the CHIPID and the NORID...The current unlock, Ultrasn0w will be overwritten on reflash of the baseband and doesn’t touch the seczone or the locktables at all. To maintain the unlock we need to reapply the unlock patch for every baseband upgrade. But, having a successful brute force of your unique unlock code would give you your permanent unlock, no ultrasnow needed."

That might clear things up a little bit, or maybe just make things more confusing..
    No for sure that cleared up somethings up a little, I had also read a little about the seczone. Im sure eventually those codes will be bruceforced, I was just wondering how easily it was to modify the locktable? and how apple or service provider modifies these locktables.
    but thanks for the info, i'll read more into it

iPhone? More like MyPhone macsoldier's Avatar
    Thanks

wow what a price to slap on it, just a matter of time before this stuff hits the states from Apple

Thanks

apparently brute forcing will take many years given the length of the lock codes for the iphone. I think it was musclenerd that mentioned that unless some kind of pattern could be found in NCK(i think) so that they could narrow down the bruteforce, otherwise even with 1000's of computers, it would take to bruteforce only 1 iphone!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alirz View Post
    This is has been discussed in the past alot. google it. Apple unlock is something to do with the chip ID's inside the phone, Itunes then determines i guess by comparing with some databse what the lock status of the device will be

dude you dont know what you are talking about!!!

u might wanna put the quote first and then the comment if possible lol.. i thought u were directing this "dude you dont know what you are talking about!!!" to me..

Thanks

hehe, sorry my mistake,, yeh i wasnt directing that at you.