Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Why Jailbreak Matters, and What Jailbreak Isn't

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_N View Post
    Frankly, if jailbreaking weren't around, I would never have bought an iPhone. The additional customization and control are what put me over the edge to buy my first one.
    This is exactly why I own purchased an ipot ,iPhone 3G and a 3GS, if JB's went about I wouldn't have spend hundreds of pounds on them.

This iPhone I have now 3GS is the last one I will be buying, apple will eventually stop the JB and when they do only apple butters will buy the device.

Been playing with my m8s htc desire and am liking it alot super responsive screen and lovely colours they just pop out at you. Only thing is I will miss the games and all the stuff I have purchased on the AppStore (a lot of money) and cydia (about 70+ total)

How much would I get for a mint condition 3GS 16gb White with two cases, telescope (for super close pics) two pairs of apple head phones never used also USB cable never used cleaning cloth never used and original 4.26.0 basband and able to restore to any firmware from 3.0 to 4.0. Also it's unlocked I paid O2 (there terms and conditions were flawed lol so they had no choice but to unlock it)
    Last edited by rocky5; 07-27-2010 at 06:55 PM.

I know... legalese yada yada, I'm sure there is a paragraph in the iphone saying that you cannot jailbreak it...
    I would like to see this contract being forced on a court of law, the bandwidth you use is being used by the iphone, an extra app, in this case mywi, its allowing you to use it with other devices.
    If you buy a wifi dongle Im sure they don't limit you what hardware uses it, a PC, a notebook or a 24x7 video streaming device...

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    No, I am really not confusing anything. If I was, ATT would be forced to NOT charge for said extra bandwidth. You are paying for said bandwidth to be consumed by YOUR IPHONE, not your laptop, pc, or whatever other devices you have. Read the contract...

Here is a copy and paste...
    2) WIRELESS DATA SERVICE TERMS AND CONDITIONS (applies to all customers)

I. GENERAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS APPLICABLE TO AT&T'S WIRELESS DATA SERVICES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, FEATURES THAT MAY BE USED WITH WIRELESS DATA SERVICES AND WIRELESS CONTENT.

General Requirements: AT&T provides wireless data services, including but not limited to, features that may be used with wireless data services and wireless content and applications ("Services"). The absolute capacity of the wireless data network is limited. Accordingly, service is only provided for prescribed purposes and pricing for Data Services is device dependent and based on the transmit and receive capacity of each device. A pricing plan designated for one type of device may not be used with another device. Some devices or plans may require you to subscribe to data plan. If AT&T determines that you are not subscribed to the required plan(s), AT&T reserves the right to switch you to the required plan or plans and bill you the appropriate monthly fee. The Services may be subject to credit approval. An activation fee of up to $36 may apply to each new data line. Compatible data-enabled wireless device required.

From here... PLAN TERMS - Wireless from AT&T.

This article is comprehensive. I'd love to memorize this and use it to explain jailbreaking/rooting to my friends. LOL!

Again, great post!
    Asus K42Jr | iPad Wifi 32gb | iPhone 4 32gb from Globe | iPhone 3gs 32gb | iPod Touch 2G | Nokia N900

^just bookmark it on your iDevice and let them read it
    Last edited by dsg; 07-27-2010 at 08:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    I would like to add, that for all intents and purposes MyWi should not really be considered legal. I mean it is literally used to get around paying for a certain service. Don't get me wrong, I don't condone paying 20 bucks a month to ATT just to use my bandwidth on my phone a different way, but it should be said that on paper, it is quick probably illegal, and in my opinion, should not be listed as reasons to jailbreak.
    Tethering was promised to iPhone users one year ago. There is absolutely no reason that we were not capable of tethering on 3.0 after they marketed it as so. I'm surprised no one has taken legal action against that. That is blatantly false advertisement.

Apple enabled tethering. It was a feature in 3.0. But for the rest of the world not ATT.

Thanks

i think a person should have an option to rent an iPhone or buy it and own it, what apple is doing is not right. i am even thinking of getting rid of my iPhone.

iPhone? More like MyPhone PlatoTheForms's Avatar
    Thanks

"...Apple argued that because purchasers of an iPhone are licensees, not owners"

Yes we are purchasers but we purchased the phone and everything that comes in it. They would have a right to argue if we were renting these iPhones and modifying and then giving them back but apple will not get these phones back they will simply get thrown away or passed on when the next upgrade comes.

Great job Kyle, I must parrot this idea of yours.

Quote Originally Posted by PlatoTheForms View Post
    "...Apple argued that because purchasers of an iPhone are licensees, not owners"
    Possibly my favorite part of Apple's complaint/response. Thank you Apple for making me feel like a valued customer. I'm glad that I am thought of as not some much the owner of product, but more of a "licensee". Obviously, they are referring to iOS, and not the physical product, but still. How could they be so bold as to say that we did not purchase the iOS along with the hardware. They sell a product that does not OTB boot anything but iOS. It comes preinstalled on the device, and unless you have an old iPT, it is not possible to pay for iOS. I have to tip my hat to Apple though, for being as persistent and stubborn as they have about JB'ing

Side Note; W00t! 1,500 posts
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream! Springboard screwy after reboot? Here is the fix

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Imahottguy For This Useful Post:

PlatoTheForms (07-29-2010)

I wonder what this means for syncing your iPhone with iTunes.

I never jailbroken my iPhone 3GS. But after being a long time blackberry user I definitely see the benefits to unrestricted access to your phone. Blackberry allowed users to download any app they pleased.

Quote Originally Posted by PlatoTheForms View Post
    This is absolutely correct, we do in fact own the hardware, but we are licensees of the software/firmware. Only the owner of the copyright can claim ownership of said material.
    You can modify the physical phone all you want, and Apple couldn't care less... You mess with their copyrighted material, and they have the right to challenge it. In buying an iPhone, you are simply granted a license, or "permission" to use their copyrighted OS with that specific USER OWNED device.

If somehow you BOUGHT, and had legal ownership of YOUR copy of the OS that is on your phone.... you can bet your arse you'd be PAYING through the nose for every update they ever release!!

The same theory applies in reverse to explain why Apple doesn't issue you a free new iPhone every time they update it!

I'm quite sure that the case presented by the EFF was to prove that jailbreaking doesn't alter or otherwise compromise Apple's copyrighted OS code, it works WITH it. Much like installing any 3rd party software on any PC.

In terms of actual definition... jailbreaking isn't even considered "hacking"... Hence, the ruling was inevitable, because it is APPLE that took measures to prevent the installation of 3rd party apps on the iPhone... not federal or copyright law.

Apple and your boy Steve Jobs aren't losing a second of sleep over this, i'm sure they are well aware that a public jailbreak utility doesn't even exist!!! I for one took my iPhone 4 back to AT&T yesterday because I no longer believe a jailbreak will EVER be released.... Reluctantly for me, it looks like i'm stuck with my 3GS on 3.1.2 for life.
    Last edited by TheOnlyest; 07-28-2010 at 11:39 PM.
    Praise the Devs! To each and every one of you who spend your time writing code and making apps for little or no profit... Its YOU that makes the iPhone great, NOT Apple!! From me to you, a million thanks!!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to TheOnlyest For This Useful Post:

PlatoTheForms (07-29-2010)

miPhone's better than yours GellBrake'rrrr's Avatar
    Thanks

In response to "TheOnlyest"...
    Not sure what rock you've been hiding under. But, it must be pretty big if you haven't noticed/heard what Comex, PlanetBeing, and MuscleNerd have been up to.
    I can't wait!!! But I will. And I will do it patiently without asking the ETA.
    If you were to follow their tweets, and have a clue about the scene... You can see how close they are to a public release!
    Thanks Devs for all your hard work & dedication!!!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GellBrake'rrrr View Post
    In response to "TheOnlyest"...
    Not sure what rock you've been hiding under. But, it must be pretty big if you haven't noticed/heard what Comex, PlanetBeing, and MuscleNerd have been up to.
    I can't wait!!! But I will. And I will do it patiently without asking the ETA.
    If you were to follow their tweets, and have a clue about the scene... You can see how close they are to a public release!
    Thanks Devs for all your hard work & dedication!!!!
    Not even close.

good stuff TheOnlyest. people will whine, courts will rule, apple will shrug.

jb will be sweet, but i still like the phone as is, as i paid for.

@GellBrake'rrrr
    quite the opposite my friend, I follow all of them on Twitter, the sole reason I even have that app. I get the text's when they post too. I check into mmi 8-10 times a day also.
    What I AM able to do better than you is read between the lines!! These guys are absolutely brilliant, and they are having fits trying to make this particular JB happen... Its never taken them in excess of 5 weeks to do it before. The tweets that I read scream nothing but one issue after another every time they make any progress. Comex hasn't tweeted much of anything encouraging or promising all week! BTW, thanks for totally missing the entire actual point of my post!

miPhone's better than yours GellBrake'rrrr's Avatar
    Thanks

What I posted had NOTHING to do with "the rest of your post". Point being... It will be done! It may not be as fast as previous exploits. So, if you can "read between the lines", and know how long it "should take" to release a jailbreak, then what happened with 3.1.3? And who was it again??? Go figure.

Give the guy some time. They've already proven it can be done. Why wouldn't they release it?

One thing they will not do is release it publicly if it's NOT READY!!

Smile Well Put
    I Agree with you totally, in order to have some functions on my iphone 3G that apple, have deleted from there firmware, i have reverted to jailbreaking. Yet when i tell ppl about the enhancements ive achieved they believe im a pirate.
    i dont agree with stealing, to that end i will live with the stigma in the knowledge that im not doing anything wrong..

Regards Mick

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast