+ Reply
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Why Jailbreak Matters, and What Jailbreak Isn't

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Great article! Very insightful to those who are ignorant to the jailbreaking community and concept. Question though, is it still illegal to root android phones and also, did google ever
    Green Apple
    Thanks
    Great article! Very insightful to those who are ignorant to the jailbreaking community and concept. Question though, is it still illegal to root android phones and also, did google ever have a problem with it before the EFF? Just curious.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Oh and you could have just put iPhone is boring without a jailbreak. At least anything other than the iPhone 4. And even that is only not boring with the wallpaper but then you have the dull ui on the rest of the phone

iPhone? More like MyPhone Eagleye's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan000 View Post
    Dang we shoulda made yesterday iPhone Independance Day... (at least officially)
    Haha, I totally agree. We should have all changed our backgrounds to fireworks or something!

This is a great article and this is a great victory to the jailbreaking community. Slowly, we are helping to further what is possible with mobile devices instead of restricting it like Apple has been doing with the App Store. Grated, the App Store is an incredible interface and market... I feel if the additional apps the jailbreak devs put out could have access to the App Store, we could accelerate the growth of technology in mobile devices that much faster. Then again, the day Jobs approves the Cydia App is the day we'll probably all have network cards embedded into our necks, and hopefully by then, we wont have to use a USB to sync our media to our brains! (where would you plug it in? OOohh gross... you people make me sick! )

dsg
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,477 Times in 611 Posts

this is great, but we need this in the uk, our courts will be likely to follow suit though

Thanks

Once it became clear that a phone that is a little computer is basically the same as a big computer, Apple's argument lost any credence. Their argument over installing apps never made logical sense (except as a way to make money by controlling the app process), as anyone with a big computer understood the fallacy of it. As for unlocking, that provision was included in the last "consumer's rights" bill, which stated that all phones should work on all systems so we would have portability after our plans ran out. It has just not been implemented. I would expect a lawyer to be filing suit over that fairly soon.

As to WHY Apple took their indefensible stance in the first place, I can't say. It seems shortsighted, and, I hate to say, stupid. They were going to lose, whether in court or, probably to their great surprise, here. Why they would go to all the trouble is beyond me. Short-term gain? I DIDN'T buy an iPhone originally because it offered less "phone" features than my RAZR. When I did buy one (a 3G), I jailbroke it to put custom sounds in the alerts (really, Apple, "beep" for email, text, calendar?). I read that jailbreakers had defeated that lockout, bought a phone, jailbroke it, and installed ToneFXs. Without jailbreak, I wouldn't have bought the phone or Apple apps for it. So they made money (from me) due to the existence of jailbreak. BTW, I have been posting on Apple Discussions/sending requests to Apple for two years my desire for this feature (universal ringtones on all alerts). Apple's response? Apple mods warn me and/or delete my posts and Apple has neither responded to my requests nor implemented this universality. Which they could clearly do, since I can do it by SSH or a simple app.

I like Apple products, I've been using them for a long time, have owned numerous iMacs/iBooks/MacBookPros, have had two iPhones and will get a third when the jb is released for 4, own stock in Apple, and I can only hope they finally get their heads out of their butts over this. Many jb features have been included in newer iterations of the iPhone OS. This, to me, is like American car manufactures implementing tweaks home racers invented to make their cars faster/better into production models. It only makes the brand better. If Apple were"smart," they would embrace this community and use it to their advantage. THAT would make sense.
    Senior

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mr117 For This Useful Post:

dsg (07-27-2010), Kyle Matthews (07-27-2010)

Thanks

I think piracy is why people think jailbreaking is bad, when kids at my school find out I have a jailbroken iPod touch, they as me what free apps I have. They think jailbreaking is all about piracy and the app that shall not be named. Most apps are free or 99 cents, this isn't hundred dollar software, just buy it

iPhone? More like MyPhone editwizard's Avatar
    Thanks

MyWi is awesome for sure. It's a violation of your at&t contract terms though... so it's not 'authorized.' They aren't going to put you in jail or sue you for using it. If at&t finds out, then they could charge you for that use or terminate your contract.

I use MyWi every once in a while though and it's an amazing convenience. So much of a convenience that I won't move to iOS 4 on my 3GS until I can get a guaranteed jailbreak.

And as far as reasons NOT to jailbreak... as I've told Kyle, it's not the legality of it, it's Apple's warranty support. I'm one of those nervous people that doesn't want to have an iDevice break under warranty and be denied service/repair on it just because I wanted a piece of extra software for added convenience.

The convenience would have to outweigh the cost of the device at that point. That's why my 3GS is jailbroken and my 64GB 3G iPad is not!

What would be great would be if they could then force Apple to honor warranties on jailbroken devices.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jay316 View Post
    I completely agree with jailbreaking, as the article says, when you buy an iPhone you own it, its the same with a car, if you want to modify it then it is yours to do with it whatever you like. One question though, why does jailbreaking an iPhone allow users to install AppStore Apps for free? don't get me wrong, I love the fact I can get games for free, and Cydia is a fantastic way for devs to release apps for functional purposes e.g. Winterboard and iBlueNova to name two.

Btw, referencing the above comment. My first gen iPhone would do more than 3G e.g. MMS and fully functional bluetooth, so I agree with you 100%
    The same reason that owning a car allows for drive-by shootings. Or that owning a gun allows for shootings. Because it does. But that isn't the car manufacturer's (or gun maker's) fault. It doesn't mean that because you own a car or a gun that you are a thug and will kill people. Jailbreaking doesn't mean piracy or "free apps" any more than non-jailbreaking does. You can get games for free on non-jailbroken iDevices. You also have to pay for some stuff through Cydia or Rock.

There is an application that allows for pirated apps to be installed on an iDevice. But it is not the jailbreaking community's fault that people put pirated software on their iDevices.

Just like guns don't kill people, people kill people, jailbreaking doesn't cause piracy, thieving people cause piracy.

Chris

Livin the iPhone Life JedixJarf's Avatar
    Thanks

Good post PF

Thanks

Great story!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Great post thanks

Thanks

Hopefully this clears up why the majority of people jailbreak. It kills me when someone says, 'We all jailbreak for free apps...'

MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Thanks

Not a fan of Illegal apps !!! Big fan of Jail Breaking

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Here's something to be excited about, guys! How long before companies start popping up that can accomodate, and profit, from having a jailbreak/ unlock available for all devices?

Green Apple
    Thanks

good post, jailbreaking is just using the full capacity of the device, that we have purchased.

/Library/MobileSubstrate/dontmesswiththis.dlyb
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    I think piracy is why people think jailbreaking is bad, when kids at my school find out I have a jailbroken iPod touch, they as me what free apps I have. They think jailbreaking is all about piracy and the app that shall not be named. Most apps are free or 99 cents, this isn't hundred dollar software, just buy it
    Yea, that's how kids at my school are too:

Me: I jailbroke yesterday

Them: So now you get apps and music for free and stuff?

Me: No, that's now what jailbraking is, i use it for emulators like Mini vMac.

Them: so..... you really didn't jailbreak?

Me: *facepalm*

Thanks

^ so true

iPhone? More like MyPhone rawhog's Avatar
    Thanks

Well. Just maybe now Apple won't patch the holes and our JB will last indefinitely. No reason to delay the release. Unless the devs are still having Facetime issues. But, what the hell. Apple should just help them out now.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Thanks Kyle. Long live jailbreak!!!!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Downgradeing my iPhone with out SHSH shouldn't be an issue now

+ Reply
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast