Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Why Jailbreak Matters, and What Jailbreak Isn't

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin007 View Post
    As you mentioned it, Kyle, if you paid full price for the phone it is yours and you should be allowed to do with it what you want. This applies to "prepaid" or "Pay As You Go" phones, NOT phones on contract as these are technically not yours until the contract has come to an end.
    I was about to say that might be the case in the US but it's certainly not in the UK - then I saw you are from the UK.

Contract phones in the UK are yours from day one which is why so many people sell 'unwanted' upgrades (and where I get most of my phones). Your liability is for the contract - the phone is yours to do with as you please.

But this change in the law only applies to the US (obviously) the law in the UK remains open to interpretation.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to confucious For This Useful Post:

manickbarry (07-27-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone macsoldier's Avatar
    Thanks

I can see where people are frustrated with Apple, especially when they said we are pretty much paying to use there stuff. Heres the opinion from an average guy, First for Apple to come out on top of things I would get ahold of the jail breaking community and have a press release or something to work with the dev teams and the developers out there to enhance jail breaking. At the same time Apple will have a little bit more control over the jail breaking and be able to monitor what is in and what is out with jail breaking. There is money to be made in jail breaking and Apple loves two things money and control. I just see it benefiting both sides if Apple was to help with the jail breaking community, And like they said it would increase the sale of phones. At the same time Apple isn't really concerned about all of this due to the fact they cant even keep up with supply and demand. I've found the jail breaking community a friendly one at most times, people helping me day in and day out with newb questions and giving me advice on how to start theming. Overall I think there will be a huge benefit to Apple and the Jailbreak if they where to team up, will we ever see it probably not. I know the jail breaking community is great on its own and will keep expanding, ANy ideas on what Apples next step is or are they going to sit on this one? An average opinion from an average guy

Apple is against jailbreaking because it exposes what the phone is capable of. That simple.

Want to send a file to someone over Bluetooth? Nope. Apple would rather you email it, preferably through MobileMe, to that person.

Want to send someone a picture message on an original iPhone? Sorry. Gotta buy new hardware.

They are against it because they've become the new oppressor. What you want it irrelevant, they'll tell you what you want and what you can have. Apple and Steve Jobs have become exactly what they hated, The Man. Nothing would be sweeter than to see the Realization by the masses that the Emperor has no clothes. Finally the media is catching on that these assholes have turned into what they once hated and can see that they are in fact becoming the enemy to the people that by their products.

My iPhone is a Part of Me Jay316's Avatar
    Thanks

I completely agree with jailbreaking, as the article says, when you buy an iPhone you own it, its the same with a car, if you want to modify it then it is yours to do with it whatever you like. One question though, why does jailbreaking an iPhone allow users to install AppStore Apps for free? don't get me wrong, I love the fact I can get games for free, and Cydia is a fantastic way for devs to release apps for functional purposes e.g. Winterboard and iBlueNova to name two.

Btw, referencing the above comment. My first gen iPhone would do more than 3G e.g. MMS and fully functional bluetooth, so I agree with you 100%
    16GB iPhone 4
    160GB Black iPod Classic

Sold
    16GB iPhone 3GS
    60GB iPod Classic
    80GB iPod Classic

Broke
    120GB iPod Classic
    16GB iPhone

Great read! Finally people with actual power take up for the people putting in the work to make YOUR device truly YOUR device. Jailbreak = freedom from apples Death Grip on YOUR purchased phone!

Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    I would like to add, that for all intents and purposes MyWi should not really be considered legal. I mean it is literally used to get around paying for a certain service. Don't get me wrong, I don't condone paying 20 bucks a month to ATT just to use my bandwidth on my phone a different way, but it should be said that on paper, it is quick probably illegal, and in my opinion, should not be listed as reasons to jailbreak.
    You are making a common mistake, mixing fair use with commercial interests, its in the commercial interest of ATT to charge you extra for bandwidth used for other devices, but, they are not giving you that bandwidth for free, they are charging you.
    So its the same as jailbreaking the device: its yours (its your bandwidth paid month by month), you can jailbreak it (you can use bandwidth for whatever you want) I think you know the drill...

And on an unrelated view of things:

what would happen now that is not illegal to jailbreak, if one appears with a problem at a genius bar with a jailbroken device?

Will they refuse service?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default Factory Unlock
    Quote Originally Posted by wcbardwell View Post
    Very nicely put... Great article! Maybe one day, when pigs fly over the frozen lakes of fire in the depths of a sub-zero hell, we can get a factory unlock when our contract is up... Probably never happen, but might be nice... Especially for all those people who hate AT&T.
    Hi, actually in the UK, you can get a factory unlock if you got a pay as you go iPhone (after your initial data contract is up) or even an unlock if your normal contract is up.

Apple even sells factory unlocked iphones here, as since last year we have more than just one network provider selling iphones (3 more joined this summer).

I ordered a factory unlocked iphone 4 from apple so that i have the choice to switch between providers. You guys in the states need to hope that the sole provider contract with AT&T runs out soon and that verizon and t-mobile will get distribution rights too.

Quote Originally Posted by joec2 View Post
    ....is too busy being a ****.....
    Really, a ****? Come on now, that's offensive on so many levels. Surely you could come up with a more appropriate word.
    Last edited by z3r01; 07-27-2010 at 08:23 AM.

Thanks

An excellent article. Thank you very much for the education. 100% agree with your perspective.
    OTB 1.0.2>.....>2.0.1
    Rogers Canada

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

great and helpful article

You could always use this as another argument: "I paid 400$ for this why do I have restricted acess to what it can do and what I can do with it. I'm the owner of this because I bought it from you you no longer own it. " thats what I think about it.

Jailbreaking is a viable option for users. It does enable more functions to consumers and more choice. Thanks for the informative, well thought out article!

Thanks

Great post

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shaquk View Post
    Hi, actually in the UK, you can get a factory unlock if you got a pay as you go iPhone (after your initial data contract is up) or even an unlock if your normal contract is up.

Apple even sells factory unlocked iphones here, as since last year we have more than just one network provider selling iphones (3 more joined this summer).

I ordered a factory unlocked iphone 4 from apple so that i have the choice to switch between providers. You guys in the states need to hope that the sole provider contract with AT&T runs out soon and that verizon and t-mobile will get distribution rights too.
    exactly and it has been posted here as such. I got my iPhone 4 (as all my others) unlocked for 50 euro) One thing though... Verizon is CDMA so unlocking it will be useless in a since unless APPLE and Verizon opts to keep the sim slot... If verizon got with the times like EU and the rest of the world they would already have people using the the iPhone on their net as T-Mobile USA has...

Yea some people find it easier to use cdma and some like sim cards
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

iPhone? More like MyPhone yentrog31's Avatar
    Thanks

{So what's the big deal you ask? Maybe you're not a hacker, or even a "hobbyist" or "enthusiast" - that's fine. Maybe you don't care about having any access at all to your device - it does everything you need already. You don't want to jailbreak, and you never will. That's fine, and for many, true. My iPhone 4 isn't jailbroken yet, and it's been handling itself just fine - of course there's tons of jailbreak apps I miss (Notifier, Tlert, MyWi, WinterBoard, iFile, and OpenSSH/SSL being some of the biggest). But if I /want/ to modify my device, which I have purchased and own outright, for completely legal activities, enhancing the original purpose of the device (a "smartphone") - it should be legal. Whether I do so or not should remain wholly my choice. }
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Great read..and the above my fav part.When I got my iPhone(3GS) it was a great phone/device,but I could tell there was something missing.There was power not being used,like it had a governor on it.
    So I read and googled this site and others,and decided a JB was for me.So long story short,I only use my home button once to turn my phone on,otherwise I swipe and tap(SBSettings,QuickDo)and I have control over my phone the way it functions and looks(Winterboard).So to sum up by the last line in said paragraph..you should have a choice and WE do.Thx again for the great read.
    "It takes a rare thing, a turning point, to free oneself from any obsession. Be it prejudice or hate, or, even love"

Thanks

very informative news(read the entire article!)
    myiphonerocks-doesyours?

iPhone? More like MyPhone yentrog31's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peu View Post
    You are making a common mistake, mixing fair use with commercial interests, its in the commercial interest of ATT to charge you extra for bandwidth used for other devices, but, they are not giving you that bandwidth for free, they are charging you.
    So its the same as jailbreaking the device: its yours (its your bandwidth paid month by month), you can jailbreak it (you can use bandwidth for whatever you want) I think you know the drill...

And on an unrelated view of things:

what would happen now that is not illegal to jailbreak, if one appears with a problem at a genius bar with a jailbroken device?

Will they refuse service?
    of course...this is SJ we are talking about..I can see it now:
    YOU are reading it wrong!
    "It takes a rare thing, a turning point, to free oneself from any obsession. Be it prejudice or hate, or, even love"

great article!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast