+ Reply
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: EFF Prevails Over Apple in Jailbreak Showdown

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
some good news to start off my Monday morning!
    Green Apple
    Thanks

some good news to start off my Monday morning!

Thanks

How is this going to work? Is AT&T or apple going to jb the devices? Or offer the software? Any details? Please let me know.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic1213 View Post
    How is this going to work? Is AT&T or apple going to jb the devices? Or offer the software? Any details? Please let me know.
    Nothing is going to change. This decision reinforces the common held view that jailbreaking is not illegal. ATT and Apple are not forced under this ruling, to provide you an unlocked device.

This is a positive decision but not revolutionary.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

More fun for app makers who got kicked out of app store.

My iPhone is a Part of Me coolguy742's Avatar
    Thanks

YAY ! Apple is going to love this...

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Simon76 View Post
    so if we jailbreak the phone and if there's something wrong with the phone,will its still cover with the warranty
    cant u read?

MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Thanks

Good for us, but this should have never gotten this far in the first place !!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to santacruzlocal For This Useful Post:

Doran (07-26-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Doran's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Krak4211 View Post
    I would like to know more about how this applies to the JB iPad. I understand about the iPhone and other cell phones now being legal to BREAK. The iPad is not a cell phone! For that matter neither is the iPod touch. This ruling sounds like iPhones and cell phones are the only LEGAL exemption. iPad and iTouch are still in the gray area. Probably another 3 years of litigation before we find out that ruling. Great news regardless! Thanks Library of Congress for giving Apple the big Fa-Q!
    I don't recall any fussin' by Apple over a jailbroken iPad or iPod, I always thought it was hypocritical of them to just target the iPhone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Does anyone know what - if any - ramifications this will have to people outside the US? I'm in the UK, so not sure if this impinges on us?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mastaryan View Post
    So those that modified their XBox 360 to expand their hard drive are allowed to have their XBox Live Accounts turned back on?

I can see the documentary filmakers (Michael Moore) having a hay-day with using DVD clips for upcoming documentaries. This one will be an issue I believe for filmmakers in the long run. College professors already use material that's copyright already.
    Unlikely since they will be using the "documentaries" for commercial purposes which is not permitted by the change to the law. Somehow I don't see Michael Moore doing his stuff for schools only....

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboyhero View Post
    Does anyone know what - if any - ramifications this will have to people outside the US? I'm in the UK, so not sure if this impinges on us?
    I don't think this will effect you guys unless apple feels the need to update there own TOA as a result

Are you guys able to unlock your phones?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Krak4211 View Post
    I would like to know more about how this applies to the JB iPad. I understand about the iPhone and other cell phones now being legal to BREAK. The iPad is not a cell phone! For that matter neither is the iPod touch. This ruling sounds like iPhones and cell phones are the only LEGAL exemption. iPad and iTouch are still in the gray area. Probably another 3 years of litigation before we find out that ruling. Great news regardless! Thanks Library of Congress for giving Apple the big Fa-Q!
    Well the iPad 3g IS a cell phone for all intents and purposes. I'd imagine it probably is a fully functional phone as well... just turned off in firmware. But it uses the cellular network for data.... so I'd think it would qualify.

Thanks

Good

My iPhone is a Part of Me area51crypto's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Maestro View Post
    Unlocking is legal? I wish we could force AT&T to give us unlock access
    Thats next!

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alexevo View Post
    I like that the consumers have finally gotten a victory but lets be honest. How many of us are really going to copy Call of Duty Black Ops to "investigate flaws and security concerns" rather than just give the copy to our buddies so we can all play on Xbox Live?

This just adds fuel to the fire and will likely cause Apple to make it increasingly difficult to jailbreak and unlock iPhones.

This says it allows users to break access controls. It doesn't say that Apple has to A. make it easy, B. give you access, or C. assist you in any way. Meaning Apple will give everyone the big F YOU and pour tons of resources into making unlocking so difficult that everyone just ends up staying on AT&T. Plus what good is EDGE on T-Mobile. Do you REALLY want slow data speeds on a smaller carrier that bad?
    The lock is not n APPLE thing its an ATT, Verizon Sprint...pretty much the entire US market. This is a win for all "locked devices" In Europe I was able to get my iPhone unlocked from T-Mobile (germany's iPhone carrier). This rule will hopefully spark carriers to auto unlock a device after a set time in the contract like everywhere else around the world. Basically a step forward to present times...

The Jailbreak is a different story that has nothing to do with unlock.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic1213 View Post
    Jailbreak is totally different from Unlock... Unlock is carrier (ATT) Jailbreak is Software Operating system...
    Last edited by kuhndsn; 07-26-2010 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Epic!

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by area51crypto View Post
    Thats next!

I believe so... All my iPhones including my i4 is permanently unlocked regardless of upgrading or not... This was done by t-mobile carrier (Europe) soon the US could follow suit like in EU... That would be great...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This is great news however, I believe the FCC should force phone manufactures to release unlock codes. Especially when the customer has fulfilled the contract or if the customer purchased the phone unsubsidized. Apple is the only phone manufacture that I know that refuses to release the unlock code.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by romeoz View Post
    Release the jailbreak. Lol.
    shut up. besides this moron this is great.
    Quote Originally Posted by ??????
    Hi. Does anyone know is iBlacklist available in the app store? can it only be purchased outside the app store? If so, is it hard to install? Thanks everyone.

iPhone? More like MyPhone treble26's Avatar
    Thanks

hahaha this is great!

+ Reply
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast