+ Reply
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Continues to Quietly Bash Competitors and Bulk Up Antenna Page

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Apple may be trying to look past the "death grip" debacle that has dogged the iPhone 4 since its release, but given that many Apple loyalists and critics continue to
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 561 Posts

Default Apple Continues to Quietly Bash Competitors and Bulk Up Antenna Page

Apple may be trying to look past the "death grip" debacle that has dogged the iPhone 4 since its release, but given that many Apple loyalists and critics continue to poke and prod around the lingering antenna and reception concerns of the updated 4th generation iPhone, Cupertino remains relentless in keeping a death-grip death-hold on its competition in the smartphone space.

If you haven't visited Apple.com's dedicated antenna page within Apple.com lately, then you're missing out on the latest victim tossed beneath Apple's runaway train: the Motorola Droid X. Joining a lengthy list of rival devices, the Droid X is depicted on video dropping all the way to zero bars when held improperly. This is similarly what other video and written content portrays on the Apple site for RIM's BlackBerry Bold 9700, HTC's Android Droid Eris, Samsung's Windows Mobile Omnia II, and Nokia's N97.

Executives at Motorola are yet to respond to Apple's decision to drag the Droid X into the mix, but its a safe assumption that some formal comments will be forthcoming. Only hours after Apple CEO Steve Jobs told the world at the now infamous "Antennagate" press conference that the death grip was a media phenomenon that had been vastly exaggerated, executives from RIM and Samsung fired back at Jobs and Apple for the "low blow" and for trying to drag down others in light of Apple's unique PR nightmare.

Apple.com/antenna

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

apoc (07-25-2010), suomu (07-25-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Apple Fail in this department, trying to bash other companies to up theirs. And , any phone would lose bar if death gripped, but not any phone would lose all bars if you put your finger on a little spot.

Fail.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to qgshadow For This Useful Post:

Success.Is.Sweet (07-25-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone macsoldier's Avatar
    Thanks

HMMMM not sure what to think of this anymore...

ADDON: I was thinking about this throughout the night (in afghan so its opposite the states). Maybe this will increase the quality of the phones, I can only see the antenna page going away when it forces the manufactures to fix this problem. I wonder how long this has been going on, the answer i can only think of is well since the smart phones were becoming popular. It makes me question all the companies that run tests on these phones and Consumer Reports on what are they really testing I mean isnt this what a cellphone needs to do its job? signal. This is making Consumer Reports look horrible (just my opinion). They pull there iPhone 4 report, what about these other companies? Heres another thing and Ill keep it short, Apple is just leveling the playing field well lets say they are taking it to a new level by not just talking **** but proving it to the cellphone world, Great job Apple at pushing the limits once again!!! This is just your average guy writing an average opinion.
    Last edited by macsoldier; 07-25-2010 at 02:52 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    that's because these idiots out there don't understand that all smartphones has this problem.
    it's funny how the people i talk to keep saying "o the iphone 4 has "so many" problem" and i tell them the rest of the smartphones are the same. Although there isn't "much" problem except the antenna. geezz!

I guess apple shouldn't be doing this even though they're trying to bring across a point.

Just because apple is soo popular everyone wants a piece of them and every "small" problem they have would seem like it's BIG....

7. The Following User Says Thank You to yhap2003 For This Useful Post:

kuhndsn (07-25-2010)

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks

I think this is quite interesting myself. I think its nice to see how other cell phones are as well.

"Always remember your special and unique!"

9. The Following User Says Thank You to thetoothfairy For This Useful Post:

kuhndsn (07-25-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yhap2003 View Post
    that's because these idiots out there don't understand that all smartphones has this problem.
    it's funny how the people i talk to keep saying "o the iphone 4 has "so many" problem" and i tell them the rest of the smartphones are the same. Although there isn't "much" problem except the antenna. geezz!

I guess apple shouldn't be doing this even though they're trying to bring across a point.

Just because apple is soo popular everyone wants a piece of them and every "small" problem they have would seem like it's BIG....
    Dude the spot where you put your finger and lose all your bars is a big problem, but not the death grip.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to qgshadow For This Useful Post:

BennyPR (07-26-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    It's amazing. Apple keeps posting these ridiculous videos. Like that's supposed to make us feel better. Who honestly holds there phone (bb, droid, etc) that way to talk. I hold my phone normal to talk and lose reception. It's crap that apple is dragging all these other companies into their pity party.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jrsyjoe4 For This Useful Post:

BennyPR (07-26-2010), xhenryrx (07-25-2010)

Mes
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Apple Fail --- again!!

Interesting though, the gorilla is so loud. But then again, Apple has always been an interesting case study.

Thanks

Finally all of the droid users who have been bashing I4's can shut the Helll up

16. The Following User Says Thank You to jerrykid323 For This Useful Post:

Rican Bx Bomba (07-25-2010)

h2a
    Thanks

Messany,

Please quit writing for MDN.

Thanks.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to h2a For This Useful Post:

Gyngabread Man (07-25-2010)

Thanks

...does anyone actually hold their phone that tightly?

Green Apple
    Thanks

yhap2003 that's because these idiots out there don't understand that all smartphones has this problem.
    it's funny how the people i talk to keep saying "o the iphone 4 has "so many" problem" and i tell them the rest of the smartphones are the same. Although there isn't "much" problem except the antenna. geezz
    are serious!! the problem is just "the antenna" is like saying the problem with the car is just the motor, wheels, brakes...etc. (all vital parts of a car to properly drive)

im a fan of apple and love the iphone and all about it but the way apple is handling the issue is not the proper way.

just my 2 cents

jaas

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jaas75 For This Useful Post:

area51crypto (07-25-2010), BennyPR (07-26-2010), idolpunk (07-25-2010), Xenthis (07-25-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

Well I think it's funny. What alot are failing to see (of course it is Par for this writer to stir up hate meh). Is that APPLE is dishing back what others did prior to their bus running over the other brands. Apple wasn't the first to bash this time. I seen an add for Nokia and verizon. So..... This funny bashing goes both ways. That is unless you only pick and choose what you read and want to hear.

Funny and childish none the less but what is good for the goose is bad for the apple... Lol

h2a
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jaas75 View Post
    are serious!! the problem is just "the antenna" is like saying the problem with the car is just the motor, wheels, brakes...etc. (all vital parts of a car to properly drive)

im a fan of apple and love the iphone and all about it but the way apple is handling the issue is not the proper way.

just my 2 cents

jaas
    what would you like Apple to do? redesign the phone and have steve jobs hand deliver it to all previous iPhone 4 owners, for free?

welcome to reality. apple is doing exactly what is realistic for them to do.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to h2a For This Useful Post:

area51crypto (07-25-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

It's called leveling the playing field. All non-apple devices just keep on following. Oops... I forgot about the phones out with more MPixels than i4. They didn't follow apple but should have! 8 MP EVO's pics suck compared to i4! Let's see here: slower, bigger, fractional FW, no REAL in-call multitasking, ugly, non-user friendly, etc. I need to mention this point one more time...UGLY!!!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Why the hell Apple makes the death grip spot on the side where you hold the phone, it's inevitable to avoid it. Why not on the top or bottom? BAD design or lack of human activities.

And why the Android users are here anyway? don't they have their bashing website?

My iPhone is a Part of Me tudtran's Avatar
    Thanks

What apple is trying to gain out of this?

My iPhone is a Part of Me vantheman169's Avatar
    Thanks

I dont agree with the way that apple is going about this but it is def interesting to see other smartphones have this same problem. And i believe there is a problem and if palm my iphone 3gs covering the back on the bottom i can duplicate this same effect.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Look Apple messed up on their antenna design, FACT! Get over it, put on a case and move on.
    The silver lining from all this mess is that hopefully all phone makers, including Apple, will now try to design better antenna's.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I think Apples put this one to bed for good. Having watched the video I tried it on my 3GS (I had done this before but I didn't realize there would be such a delay). I observed a highly reproducible drop from 5 to 2 bars. I've never noticed this phenomenon in a year with the phone so clearly it's a non-issue... Just a case of competitors piling on. Maybe Apple should have taken the high road but they seem to enjoy slinging the mud too (eg apple vs Microsoft commercials).

I'm just one of probably tens of thousands of hold outs but I'm convinced. I'll be upgrading to iPhone 4 asap..

+ Reply
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast