+ Reply
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Continues to Quietly Bash Competitors and Bulk Up Antenna Page

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
The death grip isn't just a small problem for the i4. What's the point of having a phone if you can't make calls? My 3GS and BB curve or any
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    The death grip isn't just a small problem for the i4. What's the point of having a phone if you can't make calls? My 3GS and BB curve or any other SP I've ever had have never done this. I'm not sure what all the other issues are other then the screen turning yellow and the DG. Losing all your bars isn't a "small" problem.

dsg
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,792 Times in 713 Posts

do Appl£ love court battles because I see one coming if they carry on like this

szr
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vantheman169 View Post
    I dont agree with the way that apple is going about this but it is def interesting to see other smartphones have this same problem. And i believe there is a problem and if palm my iphone 3gs covering the back on the bottom i can duplicate this same effect.
    What people like your self don't understand is, you're addressing the wrong problem. Come to think of it, so it apple. It's NOT about squeezing a phone until it practically bursts. This signal quality will drop in virtually any cell phone when you squeeze it so hard, as Apple has done in their videos.

THe real problem has to do with the bridging of the two antenne, the Wifi/BT/GPS antenna that wraps down from the top left and ends before the bottom left corner, and the cellular antenna the wraps around the right and terminating just before either end of the wifi antenna.

When you bridge these, the signal quality degrades. I was able to reproduce this effect on nearly any iPhone 4 I could get my hands on that had a sim card in them in two different Apple stores not far from me. I could reproduce it with the light but firm touch with just the end of my finger as well as my whole palm. I was also able to reproduce it using a paper clip to bridge the two antenna.

It also happens if you bridge the two ends where they meet at the top as well.

And for what it's worth, I can squeeze my 3GS like Apple has done in their videos, and have lost a bar or two, depending on how strong my singal is to begin with. I also got the exact same result, sometimes worse, when squeezing random phones that had a sim card in AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile stores. There isn't a Sprint corporate store near me, all of thme are "authorized" sellers that don't have sims in any of their display phones, but I think it's fair to say that squeezing can degrade the signal on nearly any wireless device save for maybe military grade hardware (or so I've been told by a colleague who is in the USAF.)

Squeezing is not the problem, it's bridging the two antenne that is the issue. It's bad enough so many people on sites like this one get it wrong, the fact that Apple themselves are (most likely purposely) making the same error just makes it all the more WORSE, and so it's no wonder so many get it wrong.

MMI's Official Devil Dog santacruzlocal's Avatar
    Thanks

How many more phones are they going to "test"? And are you going to keep posting about it? Is there anything more interesting to write about out there?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I could careless what phones suffer from "death grip". I do care about a phone that I buy that suffers from "death touch". This is were Apple isn't paying attention. I've never seen anyone grip their phone like they are trying to break it.
    The free case offer is a joke. Jobs said "if your still not happy, then you can return it with in the 30 days". Really? How am I suppose to return it in 30 days, If it's going to take any where from 3 weeks to 3 months to get my case?
    Apple's design, not Nokia, Motorola, Samsung, or any other manufacturer. They screwed up, now they won't fix it properly.
    Jobs also said they knew about this. Why didn't they announce it when they debuted the phone? Oh yeah they did...Bumpers.
    So return my iPhone 4...for what a craptivate?
    If I can't mod it...I don't want it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cokeman For This Useful Post:

szr (07-25-2010)

h2a
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cokeman View Post
    I could careless what phones suffer from "death grip". I do care about a phone that I buy that suffers from "death touch". This is were Apple isn't paying attention. I've never seen anyone grip their phone like they are trying to break it.
    The free case offer is a joke. Jobs said "if your still not happy, then you can return it with in the 30 days". Really? How am I suppose to return it in 30 days, If it's going to take any where from 3 weeks to 3 months to get my case?
    Apple's design, not Nokia, Motorola, Samsung, or any other manufacturer. They screwed up, now they won't fix it properly.
    Jobs also said they knew about this. Why didn't they announce it when they debuted the phone? Oh yeah they did...Bumpers.
    So return my iPhone 4...for what a craptivate?
    They won't fix it "properly?"

Again, i'm still wondering what people want apple to do. There is absolutely NOTHING sensible about redesigning this generation iPhone and replacing 3+ million phones. That's not reasonable, and if you're reading this and thinking that this is what they should have done, i've got news for you... you're absolutely crazy and clearly have an entitlement complex. Return your phone if you don't like it and don't want to wait for your bumper.

dsg
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,792 Times in 713 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by h2a View Post

Again, i'm still wondering what people want apple to do. There is absolutely NOTHING sensible about redesigning this generation iPhone and replacing 3+ million phones. That's not reasonable, and if you're reading this and thinking that this is what they should have done, i've got news for you... you're absolutely crazy and clearly have an entitlement complex. Return your phone if you don't like it and don't want to wait for your bumper.
    why isn't replacing 3+ million phones. not reasonable, if people didn't buy the phone they would be out of pocket, so doing a recall they just end up out of pocket because they made and sold something that isn't worth the effort they put into making it

it's business, they have a lot of expensive equipment to test the kit they sell and they sell this iPhone knowing the issues and then they get comeback from the users so they start blaming everybody but them selves. I don't buy it!!!

this is corporate bull ****

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dsg For This Useful Post:

szr (07-26-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dsg View Post
    why isn't replacing 3+ million phones. not reasonable, if people didn't buy the phone they would be out of pocket, so doing a recall they just end up out of pocket because they made and sold something that isn't worth the effort they put into making it

it's business, they have a lot of expensive equipment to test the kit they sell and they sell this iPhone knowing the issues and then they get comeback from the users so they start blaming everybody but them selves. I don't buy it!!!

I completely agree with this. What a horrible business model.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bluprint's Avatar
    Thanks

"iphone is the best but when it comes to problems atleast you that some phones have it too"

h2a
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dsg View Post

if people didn't buy them... thats the first problem with your argument. 3+ million people did in just 3 weeks. and less than 2% of those people returned them. at the time of the press conference, every single person who had purchased an iPhone 4 had the opportunity to return it, up to and including pre-orders.

i have 5 of them on my family plan, and we are all more than satisfied with them. on my line, i have only dropped one call, which happened to be with AT&T support, while i was inside a house, in a low signal area.

i guess if you are having trouble with the iPhone 4, then you should opt for a different device. if you don't even have one and you're just contributing to the conversation with your media-hype driven nonsense, then i'm not interested in what you think anyway.

i think apple handled this situation perfectly fine. for the 98.3% of us who didn't return the iPhone 4 because this "issue" is incredibly blown out of proportion, we'll take the free case and move on with it, and i will continue using the best phone, with the best reception, i've ever used.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I think people here do not get is these video is to please the iPhone 4 owners, hope they see other phone have "similar" situations and will just take the phone as is.
    But I believe consumers know the difference between holding a phone in natural position causing the problem bridging gap with 1 finger, versus holding the phone in awkward position with a gorilla grip.

What people want is Apple fix the phone by swapping with coated antenna, technician in Apple store can open the phone up swap the antenna and put it back together. Not hard, not expensive. People did not think Apple would give out bumpers, but Apple was forced to by people complaining about it. Don't underestimate consumer power.
    Last edited by unison999; 07-25-2010 at 10:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

h2a
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by unison999 View Post
    I think people here do not get is these video is to please the iPhone 4 owners, hope they see other phone have "similar" situations and will just take the phone as is.
    But I believe consumers know the difference between holding a phone in natural position causing the problem bridging gap with 1 finger, versus holding the phone in awkward position with a gorilla grip.

What people want is Apple fix the phone by swapping with coated antenna, technician in Apple store can open the phone up swap the antenna and put it back together. Not hard, not expensive. People did not think Apple would give out bumpers, but Apple was forced to by people complaining about it. Don't underestimate consumer power.
    i think Apple would have done that, if there had been more than 0.55% antenna/signal related calls at applecare and 1.7% return rate. but those numbers just don't warrant something that drastic. if those numbers change dramatically they'll be forced to do something more, and i would definitely think they should. but i think the people who are complaining about it are just a vocal minority and that at the time of the conference, most of the iPhone 4 customers were silently content, and judging by that data, this is true.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Here is the problem people don't seem to understand. With these smartphones you have to death grip them in order to induce signficant antenna attenuation.

With the iPhone 4 you don't have to! All you have to do is pinch the black stripe in those 2 bottom spots and you can hold the phone that way while letting the rest of it be completely exposed and open and IT WILL STILL ATTENUATE!

---

Consider this: products that have flaws that make it to market get purchased and returned by consumers or not purchased at all. 3+ million iPhones sold and less than 2% shows that although people know about the flaw they feel there are enough pros to outweigh the cons and have decided that their purchase is justified.

Junk products get pulled from shelves for a reason. They don't sell. The iPhone hasn't been pulled and it has been selling so well that many stores are still out of stock. What that says to me is either A. People have decided that they'll work around the antenna problem somehow or B. that Apple can produce flawed products and still sell them because they are just so damn good.
    Last edited by alexevo; 07-26-2010 at 02:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

16. The Following User Says Thank You to alexevo For This Useful Post:

rocky5 (07-26-2010)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I don't expect a recall. I expect Apple to stand by their warranty. When I bought my iPhone 3G it had reception issues. Apple replaced it no questions asked. There are plenty of iPhones that don't have the issue. For the 1's that do, Apple should replace it.
    If you believe Apple's statistics your way to gullible. Why did they only talk about the AT&T return rate. That leaves Apple, walmart, bestbuy, radio shack.
    Jobs claimed they knew about it after they lied about the display of bars. Which they fixed in a 2.x firmware when the iPhone 3G was released.

Thanks

Welcome to apples first annual player haters ball
    Hate hate hate Ooowe

Green Apple
    Thanks

Everyone has an opinion about this, so here's mine:
    Apple isn't necessarily bashing anyone on this, just merely showing that other phones experience an antenna weak spot. So Apple isn't alone in experiencing antenna weak spots. At this point, who cares? Like the iPhone song says, "take it back" if you don't like it. Everyone will get the phone that is best for them and their usage. For me, its an iPhone. For someone else, it will be an HTC, Motorola, Nokia, or some other phone -- however, I won't sit there wasting my time bashing their choice because it really doesn't matter.

Who really gives a flying fsk?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    German foundation Stiftung Warentest

It matters because it would appear that Apple cannot be trusted in the content of the press conference.

Lie #1 - All smartphones have this problem. An independent test shows that it does not take a death grip to make the Apple lose significant signal.

Misrepresentation #1 - Very few people called about this problem. They showed the percentage of people who purchased AppleCare and called about signal/reception issues. Does that number mean a whole lot to us?

Lie #2 - White iPhone will be available at the end of July. I suspect this was thrown in there to try to put some meaningful content into the press conference that was not related to Antennagate.

When it all boils down to it some people are quick to believe Apple and defend them at all costs and others are quick to throw them under a bus.

I threw them after the press conference.

Thanks

what would you like Apple to do? redesign the phone and have steve jobs hand deliver it to all previous iPhone 4 owners, for free?

welcome to reality. apple is doing exactly what is realistic for them to do.
    Another Apple Fan >>>>>> Toddler

Green Apple
    Thanks

This is the equivalent of Toyota saying Ford and GM have recalls too, or BP saying all those rigs out there leak oil too….
    It’s called INTEGRITY, Apple just say we recognize the problem and hope to move on from this.
    And the one with the Droid X, come on, the way the phone is being held is not realistic, instead of working on a way to make THEIR problem less frequent, they setup a lab to pull others into the fire. Look how many fingers they have on the screen, you CANNOT hold any touchscreen phone like that without pressing buttons, etc. Not to mention no matter what they are showing with the other phones, FEW BESIDES APPLE HAVE BEE ABLE TO DUPLICATE THIS, and secondly it is not as big of a problem as it is on the iPhone 4.

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chrisj979 For This Useful Post:

alexevo (07-26-2010), dsg (07-26-2010), szr (07-26-2010), unison999 (07-26-2010)

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chrisj979 View Post
    This is the equivalent of Toyota saying Ford and GM have recalls too, or BP saying all those rigs out there leak oil too….
    It’s called INTEGRITY, Apple just say we recognize the problem and hope to move on from this.
    +1. I like that you mentioned BP. They could have easily dragged other people into it and created a bigger mess than the oil spill but they didn't. Apple did the "but officer, that guy was speeding too" shenanigans. Jobs obviously lacks experience when it comes to handling PR crises.

Obviously though a recall is just a ridiculous request. Why don't you all just ask Jobs to resign over an iPhone flaw instead because thats about as ridiculous as your recall request is.

Now, if you'll please excuse me I'm going to ask Hanes to recall my socks because they are itchy.