+ Reply
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Continues to Quietly Bash Competitors and Bulk Up Antenna Page

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Originally Posted by evolutionarymc I think Apple is doing exactly what they should be in this situation. They acknowledge an issue, butter up their return policy, offer free case/bumper, and
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by evolutionarymc View Post
    I think Apple is doing exactly what they should be in this situation. They acknowledge an issue, butter up their return policy, offer free case/bumper, and brought awareness of multiple phones with signal issues. Well played. This is a volatile industry, every move must be calculated. #NoFanBoy

Last resort is admitting failure, that game doesn't work the way we would "like" it to.
    If the problem exists, and they know it does, I would have respected Apple WAY more if they did admit it, fix it, and move on in the beginning. I believe most people feel this way, and that is way Apple is getting hammered the way they are. Sad thing is, they won't learn from this either. Telling the customer that they are at fault for this was not just a mistake, it's a mindset. Steve Jobs has some sort of God complex to think that is any way to ever handle this situation.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
    I honesty dont believe anyone when they say "my iPhone 4 doesn't do it" that's bull$h!t...it's a physical design flaw, everyones phone was designed the same. You're phone does it too wether you want to admit it or not...stop lying.

I still love my iPhone 4 and wouldn't trade it for anything. But I'll admit the loss of reception is a major issue! All other phones need to be held intensionally retarded and forced into losing signal...when apple can post videos where you can set all the other phones down and put your finger tip on one spot of the phone and dead the signal, THEN I'll say "oohhh ok"...but we all know it won't happen...
    Good thing you know so much. Actually neither my wifes nor mine does it AT ALL. My sisters and a friend of mine does. Get your facts straight. I have proof to back up what I'm saying while you have ABSOLUTELY NO PROOF AT ALL.

Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    me too, I hate everyone leaving comments saying that the iPhone sucks and the Droid rocks when they haven't even read the article. What are they even doing on a Apple fanboy site?
    And most of them have never used an iPhone let alone an iPhone 4.
    Last edited by skj8100; 07-25-2010 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

3. The Following User Says Thank You to skj8100 For This Useful Post:

area51crypto (07-25-2010)

Thanks

its not right that Apple keeps bashing other phones. Although people need to STOP talking crap about the iphone 4 and look into their crappy phones

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rruready View Post
    They could be like me...I'm currently typing this on my 3gs as I wait for my Droid X to arrive Monday. Apple has lost all of my respect over this. Every mass produced piece of electronics has defective units, or even a design flaw some where...it's how the company chooses to deal with it that shows it's true colors. No person in Jobs position should ever deny the problem exists or even worse, blame the consumer for the problem. Apple/Jobs has no class...period.
    Bye! Enjoy your droid! Less load on AT&T for me

Green Apple
    Thanks

I've owned:

Audiovox SMT5600
    Cingular 2125
    Palm 650
    Palm 680
    Palm 750
    HTC Fuze
    HTC Tilt
    Iphone 1
    Iphone 3g
    Iphone 3gs
    Iphone 4

Guess which is the only smartphone that has had issues???? Yep, the Iphone 4.

I also work in IT and have used may other Cingular/att, blackberry, and other various smartphones.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 01grander For This Useful Post:

area51crypto (07-25-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skj8100 View Post
    Bye! Enjoy your droid! Less load on AT&T for me
    Another reason for the switch to Verizon...I don't have to be concerned about the load (or coverage for that matter). Thanks for making your concern known though

/Library/MobileSubstrate/dontmesswiththis.dlyb
    Thanks
    What keeps apple's iPhone so popular compared to the other smartphones is that it has a grat UI and very simple and easy to use.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rruready View Post
    If the problem exists, and they know it does, I would have respected Apple WAY more if they did admit it, fix it, and move on in the beginning. I believe most people feel this way, and that is way Apple is getting hammered the way they are. Sad thing is, they won't learn from this either. Telling the customer that they are at fault for this was not just a mistake, it's a mindset. Steve Jobs has some sort of God complex to think that is any way to ever handle this situation.
    I hear what you're saying & I also don't believe Apple is making a good moral decision. I do believe they are making the right business choice though. Get a free case or get a refund, no one is forcing ownership.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by evolutionarymc View Post
    I hear what you're saying & I also don't believe Apple is making a good moral decision. I do believe they are making the right business choice though. Get a free case or get a refund, no one is forcing ownership.
    I agree completely. How they are handling this now is how they should have handled it from the beginning. It truly bothers me that they are only doing what is right after the media forced them to. I want to support Apple because their products are good, but I can't after this. How a business conducts itself and takes care of the customer is important to me, as I'm sure it is for others.

Quote Originally Posted by 01grander View Post
    I've owned:

Audiovox SMT5600
    Cingular 2125
    Palm 650
    Palm 680
    Palm 750
    HTC Fuze
    HTC Tilt
    Iphone 1
    Iphone 3g
    Iphone 3gs
    Iphone 4

Guess which is the only smartphone that has had issues???? Yep, the Iphone 4.

I also work in IT and have used may other Cingular/att, blackberry, and other various smartphones.
    Yeah well just because you've owned those devices doesn't mean some one somewhere never got a defective one of those...and when they brought it back because it was defective, I doubt the store told them it was their fault. That's my point. Poor choice on Jobs's part.
    Last edited by rruready; 07-25-2010 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

My butt hurts

13. The Following User Says Thank You to alectra82 For This Useful Post:

h2a (07-25-2010)

Thanks

It's definitely fair that Apple showed people that other phones have problems. They seem to have gone a little bit far with the whole thing though.
    Last edited by Nielsenius; 07-25-2010 at 03:36 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone maddawg05's Avatar
    Thanks

do we REALLY need to report on the subject of Apple's bashing of other phones

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Shut the **** up apple fan boys.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbcox0327 View Post
    It's called leveling the playing field. All non-apple devices just keep on following. Oops... I forgot about the phones out with more MPixels than i4. They didn't follow apple but should have! 8 MP EVO's pics suck compared to i4! Let's see here: slower, bigger, fractional FW, no REAL in-call multitasking, ugly, non-user friendly, etc. I need to mention this point one more time...UGLY!!!!
    god i hate apple fan boys, have your head up yours and steve's ***. the evo is an OVERALL and i ******* but overall in caps so taht you will lisn, its an overall better phone. iphone has its place.

now if for the features and what not you deem the iphone better for your situation, good for you. but stop being a little ******* apple fan boy *****. the evo is infront of the curve when it comes to smart phones, and im sorry to inform you, but the iphone is behind.

it is widely noted that all featured iphone continually puts into its phone, are stolen. are stolen from other phones and developers, apple makes improvements to there phone on the backs of 3rd party developers and free developers that make apps for the iphone to function better.

copy past, was and app before iphone thought of it, phones have been coming out with better cameras long before apple, back ups, faster syncing, so on and so forth.

you people disgust me (fan boys) your worst that ******* hipsters.

now before some one ******* at me thinking I cant afford apple products so i must hate them...

I have an imac, a macbook pro, and yes and iphone. hmm why do i have all these apple products you may ask, because of my ******* industry and what i do with them. like i stated, apple has its time and place, and if your not a ******* fan boy zombie, i will respect your decision to buy apple or not.

My iPhone is a Part of Me area51crypto's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sgreer78 View Post
    I was at an Apple Store yesterday and couldn't get either of the 8 iPhone4's they had on display to loose signal while holding it any way. I really wanted to as to dissuade me from dropping more money on another phone, but couldn't...I should be picking up my new iPhone4 Tuesday
    All Iphone 4 do not have this problem, mine is one of them that does not have the problem!

I ordered mine and a few days later the Death Grip was brought into view!

Several times I started to cancel my order but I also read that not all phones had this problem so I did not cancel!

When I got my Iphone 4 this is the first thing I tested once it was activated!

I hope your's is ok when you get it!

Quote Originally Posted by HappyMac View Post
    What keeps apple's iPhone so popular compared to the other smartphones is that it has a grat UI and very simple and easy to use.
    And the fact the every iphone version has been jailbroken so you can customize Your Iphone Your Way!
    Last edited by area51crypto; 07-25-2010 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by qgshadow View Post
    Apple Fail in this department, trying to bash other companies to up theirs. And , any phone would lose bar if death gripped, but not any phone would lose all bars if you put your finger on a little spot.

Fail.
    Does anyone remember what they did for nearly a decade with their Mac v PC ads? Same damn thing (except that the Mac V PC ads were more underhanded innuendo than blatantly showing a fault). This is nothing new at all...

Quote Originally Posted by area51crypto View Post

And the fact the every iphone version has been jailbroken so you can customize Your Iphone Your Way!
    I wouldn;t call that a selling point. The vast majority of iPhones out there remain stock. Other cell phone OS's allow for more (and easier) customization than a JB iPhone does as well...
    Last edited by sziklassy; 07-25-2010 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by area51crypto View Post

Jailbreaking is not the reason the iPhone is so popular. I'm sure that that jailbreakers don't even account to 10% of total iPhone users.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yhap2003 View Post
    that's because these idiots out there don't understand that all smartphones has this problem.
    it's funny how the people i talk to keep saying "o the iphone 4 has "so many" problem" and i tell them the rest of the smartphones are the same. Although there isn't "much" problem except the antenna. geezz!

I guess apple shouldn't be doing this even though they're trying to bring across a point.

Just because apple is soo popular everyone wants a piece of them and every "small" problem they have would seem like it's BIG....
    Ok first of all, not many people talk on the phone with a finger on top of the phone to block the reception. The reason it is a big deal with IPhone 4 is, that is how most people hold their phone.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yhap2003 View Post
    that's because these idiots out there don't understand that all smartphones has this problem.
    it's funny how the people i talk to keep saying "o the iphone 4 has "so many" problem" and i tell them the rest of the smartphones are the same. Although there isn't "much" problem except the antenna. geezz!

I guess apple shouldn't be doing this even though they're trying to bring across a point.

Just because apple is soo popular everyone wants a piece of them and every "small" problem they have would seem like it's BIG....
    Do the rest of the smart phones cancel your voice if you switch to Bluetooth mid-call? Do the rest of the smart phones constantly reconnect to the same Bluetooth devices which had a solid connection with previous iPhones, which is compounded by the other issue? Do the rest of the smart phones have a signal problem by touching them in one specific place (not the death grip)? Do the rest of the smart phones have a face sensor problem that forces you to use speakerphone, since Bluetooth is not an option? Just how do YOU use your phone in an area where speakerphone is not an option?

"Although there isn't "much" problem except the antenna. geezz!" I can't believe you said this. The reason you are so oblivious to the other problems is because you have allowed yourself to be so easily distracted.

Hold your tongue and stop parroting anything Apple tells you. Apple is lucky... DAMN lucky, that people focused on this "death grip" nonsense because it allowed them to focus on responding to it and distract everyone from the real problems. For their typical apologists, their distraction (proof of the industry-wide "death grip" phenomenon) has somehow turned into something to PRAISE Apple for. WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU?!

Now I'll put on my tin-foil hat and go into not-so-far-fetched conspiracy theories, but I'm pretty sure that there is an element of truth to it: There is no way that the face sensor and BT problems weren't known during field testing. It was a deliberate attempt to have an issue that jailbreakers will want to fix and possibly forgo their jailbreak so that Apple can release the fix with the blocked jailbreak after the hackers have played their cards. Because DevTeam called their bluff at launch and witheld the jailbreak, the antennagate hoopla has given Apple one more opportunity to delay something they obviously already had. They clearly hoped that the jailbreak would be released after their cosmetic-only firmware update (4.0.1 only changed the display of the signal strength) so that they could block it in their more substantial update.

Apple wants their devices to be disposable and enforce an upgrade cycle. It's why the 3G slowed down with each iPhone OS/iOS upgrade. It's why there is no removable battery. It's why there is no expandable memory. I don't blame them because they are in a position to do that (nothing wrong with making money), but when they start LYING, THEN I mind.

Like when they said that A2DP/AVRCP wasn't enabled in the original iPhone with iOS3 because the hardware was different, implying that it was incompatible. Nope. The FW just checks the version of the phone and disables it, similar to the numeric battery indicator on the 3GS and lack of it on the 3G and earlier (just edit the settings file manually and it's there!). There's an unofficial app that simply enables A2DP with NO changes to support the "different hardware" at all, catching Apple in their lie. Same goes for AVRCP. Many people don't notice that it supports AVRCP Play/Pause/Stop commands. Instead, they believe that it doesn't support it at all thanks to the complete lack of the much more useful AVRCP Next/Previous Track functions. Apple's official statement? "Unsupported." Well, Music Controls, another unofficial app, fixes that nice and easily, but the real reason for it not being there is simple: Apple gets paid royalties when a remote control dock interfaces with the dock connector. There would be none paid to them if the same docks started using A2DP/AVRCP to interface with iPod Touch and iPhone. Simple. It was only a matter of time/volume before phone functions because more important than iPod functions, so it is expected to finally arrive officially with iOS 4.1.

Another example is iOS4 not running on the original iPhone "because it's too slow." Umm, the original iPhone has the exact same perfomance specs as the iPhone 3G except for the ability to connect to a 3G tower. If using it on T-Mobile or in an area without 3G coverage, they are functionally the same phone. So, tell me again: Why did the iPhone 3G get iOS4 and not the original iPhone? Oh yes... because they've all reached their contractual obligations and can be forced to upgrade their phone for all the apps that now require iOS4, many of which are the same apps they have been using all along. How do you excuse something like that, Mr. Apologist?

Reason. I remember an Apple apologist saying that the 3G still didn't have A2DP at launch because it "wasn't good enough" for Steve Jobs. OK, well how did it suddenly become "good enough" at the launch of iPhone OS 3.0? Oh, how I wish I could ask him that question directly.

Edit: I forgot to mention this... Apple pretended to be so honest when they revealed that the dropped call rate was worse than the 3GS despite the "superior" antenna design. They said there there was less than one additional dropped call per hundred calls. Without the substantial increase in calls that were ended by the face sensor and re-established, the dropped call rate would be a lot more than that. That's another pretty good reason to allow it into the market with such an issue.
    Last edited by CZroe; 07-25-2010 at 09:31 PM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to CZroe For This Useful Post:

szr (07-25-2010)

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

I really don't care if other phones have the death grip issue. I care that the iPhone 4 does. To admit that your product is flawed and then point out other manufacturers flawed products is absolutely ludicrous. You have a bad phone. Own up to it, fix it, and then point at your competition. I have an upgrade that is itching to be used on an iPhone 4, but Apple's antics have made me gun-shy.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainChaos For This Useful Post:

Cokeman (07-25-2010), rruready (07-25-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    If the iPhone 5 design goes away from this "outer antenna band" design that would be more fuel for the fire that something was wrong with the design.

I wonder what the people that defended the iPhone 4's design will have to say then? People, fueled by Apple's silliness, have been overlooking the videos that show you can cause the death grip effect by putting the base of your thumb on the left corner of the phone.

I do not know of anyone that talks on their phone using the grips shown on the antenna page.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to nicksti For This Useful Post:

szr (07-25-2010)