+ Reply
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Apple Continues to Quietly Bash Competitors and Bulk Up Antenna Page

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Not really. "Droid users" haven't reported this "problem". Apple users have. That's the difference. iPhone 4's deathgrip is right where the average user holds it. No one holds an X
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Not really. "Droid users" haven't reported this "problem". Apple users have. That's the difference. iPhone 4's deathgrip is right where the average user holds it. No one holds an X palming the back of it like that with fingers wrapped around the front. Whatever makes Apple feel better about their problem though...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KartRacer View Post
    Mine does it here in SC because I live in a low signal area, but will not do it inside the metro area of Atlanta where my parents live. Even multiple tests using the speedtest app doesn't show any speed loss when holding it in any way and multiple phone calls show zero degradation in call quality. :/ I think it has a tremendous amount to do with signal strength of the area you're in and how many towers are close to you at that time. Just my testing not anything definitive.
    Sounds like that makes sense...

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jerrykid323 View Post
    Finally all of the droid users who have been bashing I4's can shut the Helll up
    Sorry I forgot to quote the sheep I was referring to in my last post.

h2a
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CKnowsTek View Post
    They're the only ones with something wrong with their phone. Steve Jobs knows it.

... what? the iPhone 4 is the only phone that has something wrong with it? lol. this has got to be the best post on this forum.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thetoothfairy View Post
    I think this is quite interesting myself. I think its nice to see how other cell phones are as well.
    me too, I hate everyone leaving comments saying that the iPhone sucks and the Droid rocks when they haven't even read the article. What are they even doing on a Apple fanboy site?
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Green Apple
    Thanks

Speaking of sheep, if you really believe all this press was driven by users complaining and not the media/Apple competitors perhaps I can clarify the situation in terms you can understand: Baaaaah. Better?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KartRacer View Post
    Mine does it here in SC because I live in a low signal area, but will not do it inside the metro area of Atlanta where my parents live. Even multiple tests using the speedtest app doesn't show any speed loss when holding it in any way and multiple phone calls show zero degradation in call quality. :/ I think it has a tremendous amount to do with signal strength of the area you're in and how many towers are close to you at that time. Just my testing not anything definitive.
    Same here(not SC - Philly area)....doesn't bother me one bit. I use a cheap clone of an Otterbox and don't see the problem anyway.
    Last edited by tdamocles; 07-25-2010 at 12:25 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

If they moved the area that the two antenna stop with the rubber thing in between them to the top of the phone before they released the phone nobody would have ever noticed this.... I just wish apple would stop pointing fingers at other people, admit it has a problem, and move on.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to robertr1 For This Useful Post:

BennyPR (07-26-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    me too, I hate everyone leaving comments saying that the iPhone sucks and the Droid rocks when they haven't even read the article. What are they even doing on a Apple fanboy site?
    They could be like me...I'm currently typing this on my 3gs as I wait for my Droid X to arrive Monday. Apple has lost all of my respect over this. Every mass produced piece of electronics has defective units, or even a design flaw some where...it's how the company chooses to deal with it that shows it's true colors. No person in Jobs position should ever deny the problem exists or even worse, blame the consumer for the problem. Apple/Jobs has no class...period.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to rruready For This Useful Post:

BennyPR (07-26-2010)

/Library/MobileSubstrate/dontmesswiththis.dlyb
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by robertr1 View Post
    If they moved the area that the two antenna stop with the rubber thing in between them to the top of the phone before they released the phone nobody would have ever noticed this.... I just wish apple would stop pointing fingers at other people, admit it has a problem, and move on.
    Steve did... he says phones arent perfect, and he says the iphone four isnt perfect........

Green Apple
    Thanks

Apple may have top notch products, but they make mistakes like everyone else. They should have fessed up and fixed the problem immediately. If that would have happened, they wouldn't need to post videos of other phones held in ridiculous positions to prove a moot point. Admit it up front, fix it, and move on.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rruready For This Useful Post:

area51crypto (07-25-2010), BennyPR (07-26-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

I was at an Apple Store yesterday and couldn't get either of the 8 iPhone4's they had on display to loose signal while holding it any way. I really wanted to as to dissuade me from dropping more money on another phone, but couldn't...I should be picking up my new iPhone4 Tuesday

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I think that if Steve Jobs had gotten on stage, flat admitted it was a design flaw and they are working very very hard to fix it without changing the design of the phone too much he would be loved even more. All he had to do was fess up and I'd bet 90% of the complaints and bad press would go away. Admitting mistakes is hard to do, but it shows a level of maturity that pointing fingers doesn't.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KartRacer For This Useful Post:

BennyPR (07-26-2010), PWNsyst3m (07-26-2010), rruready (07-25-2010), TooSlo (07-25-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sgreer78 View Post
    I was at an Apple Store yesterday and couldn't get either of the 8 iPhone4's they had on display to loose signal while holding it any way. I really wanted to as to dissuade me from dropping more money on another phone, but couldn't...I should be picking up my new iPhone4 Tuesday
    Well from what I understand, it's only in the areas with low signal right? That's why you see so many people saying "mine won't do it here, but over there it will". I, for one, will never support Apple again because it takes Brian Williams reporting on this before they even admit they made a mistake and decide to take care of the customer. To each his own though. Some people think a company blaming the consumer isn't a big deal, some do.

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
    Sounds like that makes sense...
    Another thing I forgot to mention is that I complained enough to get a free MicroCell and it will do it with that thing, but not to the point it affects speed or call quality. The bars do go down but I've not had any speed loss or bad call quality even with it showing one bar. Don't know if it having the bars drop has to do with how powerful the signal is from the radio or what, I say that because it doesn't do it with a regular cell tower in a good signal strength area. Now if only my POS router wouldn't freeze and drop my wifi signal...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whereswaldo View Post
    While mostly a fanboy site, it offers usually good and quick news into the hacking scene of the iPhone. This is on my list of sites I visit when I want to find out what's the latest.

I own an android, HTC EVO, and do not have any sort of "death grip" that I can manage, but I'm still trying mind you. I'd love to see the bars drop

I also own an iPhone4, upgraded from a 3G. I can touch that one spot and drop a couple of bars, or if I grip it to make a call like I do my EVO, it goes to "Searching for signal" at my house. Where I work, we have an AT&T cell site on top of the building, so high signal. Touch it won't do much, maybe one lost; gripping will drop three bars.

The signal issue with the iPhone is annoying, and having to get it replaced because the camera had huge blue blobs in the center of the screen was also annoying, but one bumper later, at least I don't lose all signal if I hold it like I normally would. Both phones had the same signal issue.

Yes, I use both phones, and why I have two is because I feel like it. When travelling, I like to know that I'll have some sort of working signal somewhere.

Another thing I've noticed is the signal drop (true to apple's words) is somewhat because of their shoddy bar algorithm to make AT&T look better; that algorithm came back and bit them in the ***.

Oh well, I like the iPhone4, I just wish I didn't have to hide the beauty behind an ugly plastic bumper to get data/voice use out of it

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by qgshadow View Post
    Apple Fail in this department, trying to bash other companies to up theirs. And , any phone would lose bar if death gripped, but not any phone would lose all bars if you put your finger on a little spot.

Fail.
    True. I tried it with an iPhone 3GS numerous times and it does the same thing BUT I do not lose ALL the bars.
    I'm MYAATT DAAAMOOON!!!

Thanks

I think Apple is doing exactly what they should be in this situation. They acknowledge an issue, butter up their return policy, offer free case/bumper, and brought awareness of multiple phones with signal issues. Well played. This is a volatile industry, every move must be calculated. #NoFanBoy

Quote Originally Posted by rruready View Post
    No person in Jobs position should ever deny the problem exists or even worse, blame the consumer for the problem. Apple/Jobs has no class...period.
    Last resort is admitting failure, that game doesn't work the way we would "like" it to.
    Last edited by evolutionarymc; 07-25-2010 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to evolutionarymc For This Useful Post:

HappyMac (07-25-2010), tsatryan (07-25-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by virtualcappy View Post
    Speaking of sheep, if you really believe all this press was driven by users complaining and not the media/Apple competitors perhaps I can clarify the situation in terms you can understand: Baaaaah. Better?
    You're right. Maybe the media did control this. For all we know, it only made national news because Brian Williams himself dropped a bunch of calls on his new iP4. Maybe he walked outside and screamed "WHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYY.....JOBS YOU B_STARD!!" The fact remains, it IS a problem and Apple chose to only do something about it after Brian spoke up. As for people complaining about it, go find the thread where this antenna problem was first introduced to MMi. There are plenty of people admitting they noticed this and had dropped calls from it. I can't speak for every Droid X owner, but I DOUBT anyone actually holds it this way too (palming the back of it with fingers wrapped around it). Not to mention, no one can seem to replicate it. I've researched it thoroughly because I just purchased one. I not only have 2 friends with one that can't replicate it, but there are videos all over youtube showing it in areas with low signal and no replication happened...dislcaimer: It's obvious this guy has a clear bias against Apple, but the video does clearly show what I'm talking about.[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fup7fb1qIM&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - DROID X Deathgrip, It's Not Possible[/ame]
    Last edited by rruready; 07-25-2010 at 01:37 PM.

Thanks

Death grip. Geez i never held my mom or my wife that tight, people need to get over the fact its just a phone no need to choke it.