Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Handy Light Hides a Free Tethering App

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GellBrake'rrrr View Post
    If you really thought that that ANCIENT POST would be true, AND hold up, do you think that this post which is very similar would be the 3rd post on MMI as we speak???
    http://modmyi.com/forums/mac-news/719982-apple-answers-geo-data-questions.html

/sigh

First, it was really a 'yes or no' question, maybe with a 'here's a short sentence or two explaining my view' tacked on for good measure.

Two, no need for theatrics...it's way too early in the morning.

It may be an old post but it doesn't mean the kill switch isn't still sitting there waiting to be used. I don't think they will use it. I think they would only use a kill switch for something more harmful.

miPhone's better than yours GellBrake'rrrr's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ~rage View Post
    /sigh

First, it was really a 'yes or no' question, maybe with a 'here's a short sentence or two explaining my view' tacked on for good measure.

Two, no need for theatrics...it's way too early in the morning.
    Sorry bro that you're early is my late, I just find it odd that we meet again in such the same fashion.

I look at it like this..., I've never heard of anyone having an app already downloaded, and then pulled from their their iDevice.

Also, if this were true that Mr. Jobs could see inside of our "legally protected" devices.... Don't you think he would have caused some interruption for the GREAT ONES???? .... Comex & Planetbeing?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cerote View Post
    It may be an old post but it doesn't mean the kill switch isn't still sitting there waiting to be used. I don't think they will use it. I think they would only use a kill switch for something more harmful.
    That's what I was thinking. Yet, at the same time there's the fact that an app from their store, not some third party's shop(cydia) but Apple's very own marketplace is allowing thousands of customer's to violate At&t's ToS legitimately(some could argue). I can't imagine At&t not saying something and at the same time I could see Apple very easily justifying 'pulling the lever' as Job's called it and weathering the storm of any backlash that came of it.

So, while unlikely, it still remains possible, imo.

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by GellBrake'rrrr View Post
    Sorry bro that you're early is my late, I just find it odd that we meet again in such the same fashion.

I look at it like this..., I've never heard of anyone having an app already downloaded, and then pulled from their their iDevice.

Also, if this were true that Mr. Jobs could see inside of our "legally protected" devices.... Don't you think he would have caused some interruption for the GREAT ONES???? .... Comex & Planetbeing?
    odd, eerie...stalkerish. ahh..random adjectives. Lol

You've never heard of it being used, mate because it never has been. That's the point of my inquiry. Could this app be the first?

As to your second and last point, I can't give a real answer to that because I and no one else(other than Job's and friends) knows exactly how the thing(kill switch) works.

Though if I had to hazard a guess, I would assume trying to kill an app you can't track(those various people acquire from cydia, for example) and killing an app you can track(better believe Apple can find out exactly which accounts downloaded 'handylight' before it was pulled and possibly even the specific devices the app found its way onto) are two completely different processes.
    Last edited by ~rage; 07-21-2010 at 06:23 AM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone hancoma's Avatar
    Thanks

I enjoy this back and forth between Apple and jailbreakers!
    Apple likes to pretend the dev team does not exist, yet secretly uses the Cydia store for their new 'revolutionary' apps.
    Cat and mouse...in this case, the jailbreak dev team is winning the war! #TOMANDJERRY

GOOD TIMES!!!

Can i have the app or at least the ipa?

This does not work for windows I tried from page 3 still won't work Mac only

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by darth2499 View Post
    Can i have the app or at least the ipa?
    Stop asking for the IPA.

1) It's not allowed in this site
    2) If you have the capability to install an IPA in your phone, it means that you're already jailbroken. Which means you should be using one of the many better alternatives such as MyWi or PDAnet.
    3) Can you have the app? No. But by all means try to contact Apple and have them re-upload the app into iTunes, just because you're special.
    If I helped you out, please use the Thanks button ------------------------->

I saw this on 9to5 Mac, smart idea

Haha this is some cool stuff. Makes me think of cool possiblites. Imagine an app that had a series of buttons. If you hit the buttons in a correct way it would "reveal a hidden door" and bam now you can tether..

iPhone? More like MyPhone yentrog31's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kuhndsn View Post
    We have a "mole" in the mmi. Damn Russians... LMAO.

Seriously though I wouldn't doubt it. Apple is pretty good at being in the "know".
    No mole....other sites had this late afternoon..I got mine from iTunes about 6 CST.But I'm sure Apple monitors these sites religiously.
    "It takes a rare thing, a turning point, to free oneself from any obsession. Be it prejudice or hate, or, even love"

I think Engadget posting it is what killed it. I saw it on there and downloaded it on my iPhone 4 and immediately went to DL it on my wife's 3GS and it was already pulled.

I doubt apple spends much time monitoring MMi or MacRumors but I'm sure they're ALWAYS on Engadget, Gizmodo and BGR.

Gone...

Quote Originally Posted by Messany View Post

We received a tip from a reader this evening about an app that was certainly worth looking in to. Introducing "Handy Light," an app that made it to the Apple App Store even though it is actually a tethering app. Yes, for once there's actually a flashlight app worth getting excited about. But this application is merely disguised as a flashlight, while all along providing tethering capacity for your iPhone to easily share your device's internet connection with your laptop.

Of course, it's only a matter of time before this app is yanked, so get it while you can. Handy Light, which requires an iPhone running iOS 4.0 or later, already has available a video tutorial outlining the necessary steps to access the app's neat tethering ability. This thing is so sophisticated that it actually managed to sneak by Apple. Understandably, the suits in Cupertino - oops, I mean, the "jeans," since they don't own suits - will likely not appreciate the guise that got past them.

AppShopper

Update: Apple has removed Handy Light from the App Store. Well.... that didn't take 'em long, now did it?

My iPhone is a Part of Me kadinh's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jdm.accord View Post
    I think Engadget posting it is what killed it. I saw it on there and downloaded it on my iPhone 4
    +1

I did the EXACT same thing. didnt stop to think about it. $0.99 or not, it was worth it.

I think i'm going to try to trojan horse the iphone 4 jailbreak and unlock into my app called Angry Doodle Jumper Flick Ball

Wish me luck!

iPhone? More like MyPhone barrygeorge002's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jdm.accord View Post
    I think Engadget posting it is what killed it. I saw it on there and downloaded it on my iPhone 4 and immediately went to DL it on my wife's 3GS and it was already pulled.

I doubt apple spends much time monitoring MMi or MacRumors but I'm sure they're ALWAYS on Engadget, Gizmodo and BGR.
    why would you need to download it to each individual device? you can sync with itunes and put it on your wifes as long as you both sync with the same computer. All apps can go on any phone that is set up to sync with that computer.
    Havin fun on the iphone

It is unfortunate that it's already removed, but I kinda have to point out that if we openly talk about stuff like this, it's like we are tipping off Apple about it... If we don't want Apple to catch up on stuff, we need to keep this kind of news discreet. I'm sure Apple has people assigned to read websites like this one. I mean, if not we wouldn't have needed to change our web address to modmyi in the first place. And, it's true other websites would give awway info anyway, so I guess it can't be helped lol.
    Last edited by GoldenTequila; 07-21-2010 at 10:48 AM.

I got it. I haven't updated my 3.1.2 3GS because I like having the option to tether and stay on the unlimited data plan. Yeah, I could pay for MyWi, but $19.99 feels like a rip-off. Not many apps on iTunes cost that much. Handy Light was $0.99. Now I can finally upgrade to iOS4.

MyWi was worth every penny. It's awesome, and I haven't seen ANY tethering app that can even compare. Can you encrypt the Flash Light app? If not, then it's a Fail Light compared to MyWi. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by flash66 View Post
    Your an ignorant moron!
    fail

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

See this pic: Whoops! - TinyGrab

I think if apps are pulled from the app store and are no longer for sale, they should be able to be mentioned they can be found "elsewhere". This is not an app that will be sold anywhere again so it is stealing from noone. I found it and it works nicely
    Last edited by one1; 07-21-2010 at 11:33 AM.
    Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast