+ Reply
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Handy Light Hides a Free Tethering App

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
It works very well. Glad I got it in time.
    iPhone? More like MyPhone DoocesWild's Avatar
    Thanks

It works very well. Glad I got it in time.
    -DoocesWild

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zozodouce View Post
    Man how did they find this out so fast,I think we have people in here that works for apple.
    We have a "mole" in the mmi. Damn Russians... LMAO.

Seriously though I wouldn't doubt it. Apple is pretty good at being in the "know".

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Can't even use my iPad anymore when I'm at work I got no wifi where I work, all of them got password on them I hate you apple.

Undisputed Theme Champ AnthonyGiola's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 853 Posts

Haha. Good for you Nick Foolin those people at Apple with the super tights panties! GOOD JOB. Got this literally minutes before it got pulled

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ViiOLENT.HD// View Post
    Haha. Good for you Nick Foolin those people at Apple with the super tights panties! GOOD JOB. Got this literally minutes before it got pulled
    Hey Viiolent. do you have this working on Windows 7? Got the app hours ago but can't get the damn thing runnin... any help?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

The App is gone, and it was a funny story, but why are so many people making such a big deal about getting this on cracked sites or possibly Cydia later? MyWi is a superior tethering app, and it doesn't camouflage what it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by flash66 View Post
    Your an ignorant moron!
    fail

Thanks

Man can't wait for jailbreak

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Diefy View Post
    Hey Viiolent. do you have this working on Windows 7? Got the app hours ago but can't get the damn thing runnin... any help?
    From another thread:

Quote Originally Posted by dallasnights View Post
    1) In Windows 7, go to Control Panel and open Network and Sharing Center
    2) Select "Manage wireless networks"
    3) Click "Add" and select "Create an ad hoc network"
    4) Enter in a Network name (make up one), choose your "Security type" (No authentication (Open) if you don't want to bother with a password, or WEP if you want to specify a password)
    5) Connect the iPhone to the Ad Hoc network you created, assign it a static IP of 13.37.13.37 and Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
    6) In Windows 7, go back to "Network and Sharing Center" and click on the active Ad Hoc connection to bring up the Wireless Network Connection Status window
    7) Click on "Properties", highlight "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)" and then click "Properties"
    8) Select the "Alternate Configuration" tab and enter in an IP address of 13.37.13.38, Subnet Mask of 255.255.255.0 and click OK. The address 13.37.13.37 should now be pingable from a command prompt.
    9) Open Firefox and goto "Tools" and then "Options"
    10) Select "Advanced" then "Network" and click on "Settings"
    11) Select "Manual proxy configuration" and enter in, SOCKS Host: 13.37.13.37, SOCKS Port: 1337, select SOCKS v4 and click OK
    12) In Firefox, type "about:config" in the address bar and click past the warning prompt
    13) IMPORTANT STEP!!! Scroll down to "network.proxy.socks_remote_dns" and change this value to TRUE
    14) Close Firefox
    15) Open HandyLight on your iPhone and do the BRY top right corner sequence
    16) Open Firefox again and you should now be able to browse

Why does this work ok in OS X without much effort and not in Windows 7 you ask? It seems that OS X will automatically forward DNS lookup queries through the SOCKS proxy. Windows doesn't work like this, at least not when using the proxy settings and you specify in IE. It seems someone else a couple posts before this got Safari to work under Windows 7, so I'm guessing Safari will automatically forward DNS lookups through the SOCKS proxy. Firefox has this capability to, but you need to mess with the about:config to turn it on. No clue how to enable this to work with IE, and Chrome is pretty much screwed as a result since it uses the proxy settings you specify in IE. I'm sure someone can figure it out to get all browsers to work.

----------------
    1.Set up an ad hoc Wi-Fi network on your computer (network name and password requirement are not important).

2.Connect to the Wi-Fi network you just created on your iPhone through the Settings/Wi-Fi menu.

3.Tap on the blue arrow to the right of the selected Wi-Fi network, click Static in the IP Address menu and enter the following IP address and chuckle at its geek quotient: 13.37.13.37

4.Next, enter 255.255.255.0 in the Subnet Mask field.

5.Back out of the Settings menu to ensure these settings are saved (though hitting the Home button right away shouldn’t change them).

6.Manually set the IP for your laptop's adapter to something in the 13.37.13.xx range (xx = any number 0-255 except 37) and set subnet mask to 255.0.0.0. To do this Go to control panel, Network and Internet, then the Network and Sharing Center. On the left side click on Change adapter settings. When the window pops up, find your wireless network adapter there. Right click it and choose properties. Find the line that says Internet Protocol version 4 and double click it. Change the settings here from Obtain auto to "Use the following IP address." Fill in IP address (13.37.13.38 for example) and subnet mask 255.0.0.0. Leave the rest blank and click ok.

7.Go back to your iPhone and open the Handy Light app and tap the flashlight colors at the bottom in the following sequence: blue, yellow, red. Then tap the top right corner of the screen and the color should change to purple. Your iPhone is now capable of sharing its internet connection with the computer you set up.

8.Leave the app open and go to your computer and start browsing. As the video describes, we found that it took a few seconds for the connection to kick in but then it worked like a charm. Though many variables affect network speed tests, a quick test using Speedtest.net yielded 3.92 Mb/s down and 0.38 Mb/s up while tethered to our iPhone 4 through Handy Light.
    Thank him.

Thanks

darn, i saw this app earlier when i was looking through the app store and was like how did a flash light app make top 5, but now i see why

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Meh here in Aus I can use the inbuilt tethering via bluetooth/USB to connect my iphone to my mac or PC and it doesn't cost as vodafone (my carrier) allows it..

You guys over there that get charged for it are getting ripped!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by srbug View Post
    Meh here in Aus I can use the inbuilt tethering via bluetooth/USB to connect my iphone to my mac or PC and it doesn't cost as vodafone (my carrier) allows it..

You guys over there that get charged for it are getting ripped!
    Does your ISPs have low data caps? Knew a couple people from Aus from gaming and they always seemed to run into data caps often.

Thanks

this forum has instructions for a windows machine:
    Tether inside app?

Thanks

Yep, and thats what I qouted from a couple posts back.

Thanks

Got it in time for my 3Gs with the new bootrom. Can't jailbreak yet so this is great. Worked on my friends mac but I can't figure it out on xp.

Thanks

sorry Cerote, didnt see your post

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The ipa is still available on certain parts of the web, so to say. The author should throw it up on Cydia. Only 99 Cents? Hell yeah I'd pay that in a heartbeat compared to the EXTORTION that MyWi is being charged at. $19.99??? Come on guys, how greedy can you get? I imagine the initial development was probably lengthy and costly but charging loyal customers an additional $10 to upgrade? Freakin ridiculous.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Messany View Post

Update: Apple has removed Handy Light from the App Store. Well.... that didn't take 'em long, now did it?
    They removed it because people like you tell them it exists, which means they monitor and read websites like this, hey apple if you watching this ,,!,,-.-,,!,,

Green Apple
    Thanks

But AT&T would probably notice if you used this anyway. Maybe not though.

Livin the iPhone Life Happy Noodle Boy's Avatar
    Thanks

Haha, c'mon man. A news article about Handy Light a full hour AFTER Apple pulled it? And we already have a thread on this in user submitted news.

Who was your tip? The whole Internet?

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Happy Noodle Boy For This Useful Post:

ronfin44 (07-21-2010), Windmeel (07-21-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cerote View Post
    Does your ISPs have low data caps? Knew a couple people from Aus from gaming and they always seemed to run into data caps often.
    My internet (ADSL 2+ I would imagine it's like your DSL over there?) at home has a data cap for 180GB per month. However I don't see how this affects my mobile tethering abilities?

My phone plan cost me $69 per month that includes handset replayment 1gb of mobile data and $500 of calls/text + 100 free text.