Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Report: Strained Apple-AT&T Partnership is Nothing New

MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,480 Times in 566 Posts

Default Report: Strained Apple-AT&T Partnership is Nothing New

The new August 2010 issue of Wired magazine has people talking about the publication's article titled "#ATTFAIL Inside the iPhone Network Meltdown." The content provided portrays the long history of AT&T's partnership with Apple as a regularly strained tech-marriage of convenience.

In the article, Apple CEO Steve Jobs is said to have come close to a breaking point on various occasions - heated moments where a break in the iPhone exclusivity agreement almost took place. According to the report, Jobs considered a switch to Verizon as early as 2007. The relationship, however, was strained in the eyes of both parties as Apple was stubborn about not limiting the Internet capabilities of the iPhone, while AT&T was consistently burdened by the new demands of Apple's smartphone being exclusively available on its already over-burdened network.

In total, Apple is said to have come close to severing ties with AT&T on at least a half-dozen unique occasions. The report cites one unnamed source who claims that Cupertino once dispatched some of its engineers to Qualcomm's offices with the explicit intention of exploring a CDMA iPhone. Ultimately, however, the company determined that rebuilding the iPhone would be required of that move - a choice that, at the time, would have proven far too expensive and time consuming to pursue. The story is told, however, as a reference point to today's persistent headline of
    Qualcomm reportedly working with Apple on a chip that, eventually, would allow the iPhone to call both AT&T and Verizon home.

Showing the lighter side of Cupertino's corporate atmosphere, one anecdote recalls an AT&T representative suggesting to one of Steve Jobs' underlings that a suit would be proper attire for a scheduled AT&T board meeting he was to attend. The rep was promptly told: “We’re Apple. We don’t wear suits. We don’t even own suits.”

The new issue of Wired is now available although the article in question isn't yet viewable on Wired's website.

ZDnet

Wired

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

reaves205 (07-20-2010)

“We’re Apple. We don’t wear suits. We don’t even own suits.” LOL

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NiteStar For This Useful Post:

1PM@N!O (07-19-2010), johnr9412 (07-19-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

stop complaining all people do is complain. incredible!

As long as current AT&T iPhone subscribers can continue with AT&T or be able to switch to verizon without any fees regardless of contract. Than I'm ok with that.

still not sure why apple doesnt have the iphone available for all carriers. i would think the more iphones used by people the more apps sold, the more money he makes.
    I'll smoke it with ya bro, we'll go to the loony bin together. I don't give a ****!
    https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_donations&business=jfriends4438%40gmai  l%2ecom&lc=US&currency_code=USD&bn=PP%2dDonationsB  F%3abtn_donateCC_LG%2egif%3aNonHosted

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Truckinlow For This Useful Post:

alex.kobelev (07-22-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

Its ATT's fault... They bit off more than they can chew... Whooo look at us T-mobile, Verizon, Sprint, we got the iphone... But you cant do half the crap with it because we are still working out of our trailer home... We will just chock our iPhone customers charge them more and perhaps in five years we will update our system and stop lying about our coverage area....

Yes I have ATT. But it seems like as each day goes buy they get ruder and more expensive. Reminds me of the 1st golf war when they were the only kids on the block in Saudi and they were charging and ripping off military members... Hope I am wrong but looks like they will never change their business model...

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kuhndsn For This Useful Post:

alex.kobelev (07-22-2010), soberdan89 (07-19-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by NiteStar View Post
    I wore jeans to my marriage dinner and the rest of the apple staff was in shorts.

As if it's gonna be better on Verizon's network. People think it will be until over half of their network gets the iPhone and then, same s**t different toilet. Mark my words on that

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dbizzy1 For This Useful Post:

blackout128 (07-19-2010), gfields05 (07-19-2010), PWNsyst3m (07-19-2010), Riviera (07-19-2010)

Last edited by joey00760; 07-19-2010 at 04:46 PM.

I'd pay to see this fight...my money is on Joey, and no I don't know him but I bet he would kick whoever he's talkin to's ***! Lol
    Last edited by blkcadi; 07-19-2010 at 06:15 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone GranDaddyPurp's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rhekt View Post
    As long as current AT&T iPhone subscribers can continue with AT&T or be able to switch to verizon without any fees regardless of contract. Than I'm ok with that.
    This would be good but knowing AT&T, they'll probably charge.
    I Take Three L's To The Head...Love, Live, Life then I'm Dead

17. The Following User Says Thank You to GranDaddyPurp For This Useful Post:

manbearpig (07-19-2010)

I hope they do sever EXCLUSIVE ties with AT&T! If the iPhone was on multiple networks then everyone would win with more competitive pricing and data packages.

More Networks = More iDevices sold = Steve Jobs gets to show his *** to Bill Gates.

I don't understand why they don't just make it for all networks?
    I have T-Mobile and iPhone 3GS, It's all good, but it'd be helpful if they make it public

woo, guess we couldn't go another day or two without another Verizon Report... which is made of all rumors.

I hope they go to Verizon along with ATT. Many people will switch and it will take a load off ATT while allowing people to select and iPhone that will work best for their location. If it's "about the customer" than they need to go to both carriers.
    Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Shishir G View Post
    More Networks = More iDevices sold = Steve Jobs gets to show his *** to Bill Gates.
    Steve Jobs will never catch up, ever. Apple's Market share is still under 10% for their OS, keep dreaming.
    Really?

Livin the iPhone Life Bluemoldycheeze88's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NiteStar View Post
    lol classic

Quote Originally Posted by kuhndsn View Post
    Again... Almost one is every new post... First for what? Coming out of the closet?
    ******* pwned

Can we just ban people like this? they provide NOTHING positive to this forum, and quite frankly, i'm getting sick of seeing this crap.
    Last edited by blkcadi; 07-19-2010 at 06:16 PM.
    Praise the Devs! To each and every one of you who spend your time writing code and making apps for little or no profit... Its YOU that makes the iPhone great, NOT Apple!! From me to you, a million thanks!!

Apple says they want to everything they can for their customers, then why the hell don't they make it so ATT, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint etc, can sell iPhone's with reception? It's just pure ********, ATT sucks ***.
    Last edited by Cer0; 07-19-2010 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Removed insult qoute

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rpgpromaster View Post
    I think you spelt twat wrong.. This is not Youtube and will never be Youtube. We don't need people like you doing this sort of thing in the forums
    Okay, at least one of you was funny about it. In all seriousness though, his "first" post is insignificant if people quite whining about it. 1 annoying post isn't as bad as the 15 whiny posts that comment on it.

Quote Originally Posted by eg6motion View Post
    Steve Jobs will never catch up, ever. Apple's Market share is still under 10% for their OS, keep dreaming.
    Take a look at market capitalization. They're neck and neck with Microsoft. I do think Microsoft regained the lead recently though with the decline in Apple's stock the past couple of weeks but i'm not certain about that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast