Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Report: Strained Apple-AT&T Partnership is Nothing New

It's not like Apple really had a choice but to choose AT&T ... they picked them because it was the best business decision they could make (other then opening up the phone to all carriers). In an exclusive arrangement (though I'm not sure what the benefit is of that ... I'm assuming $ from AT&T), they were truthfully the only carrier that could come close to handling the volume of iPhone customers at the time (and possibly even now) ... and not limit the functionality of the phone.

I've had AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint, and the reality is, that no network is as good as they would have you believe. I've never had T-Mobile, though I have several friends that do, and they like them ... but there service doesn't seem to be any more reliable than mine. I really don't think either Sprint (who I've never had very good luck with ... but maybe that was just my experience), or T-Mobile could handle the extra volume. And for all the clamor over Verizon and their network, I don't see them being any better than AT&T, if they had the extra volume that AT&T does, due to the iPhone.

The main problem with Verizon, is the CDMA network, and not being able to do voice and data at the same time. To some people this may not seem like a big deal ... but it's something a lot of us take for granted. I know I use this a LOT, for both personal and business ... being able to be on a call, and get a map / directions, check a website for something, or discuss an email I just sent / received, or any number of different things ... this is a pretty big deal to me. Of course I could live without it ... we all could ... and did, until very recently ... but once you have it ... it's hard to go back.

I'm not a huge Apple fan (the iPhone is the only product I've ever owned from them), nor am I a huge fan of AT&T (or any other service provider) ... but I LOVE the capabilities of my iPhone, and have never had any real problems with AT&T. Considering everything I can do with it, and how much easier it makes my daily life ... to me it would be a bargain at twice the price.

But can remember the days before PCs, cell phones, and the internet. When a box of 5 1/4 floppy disks cost almost as much as an iPhone does now, and a 10mb (NOT gb) hard drive cost me a whole weeks pay ... lol.

The bottom line is ... we're all spoiled ... we take a lot for granted ... and mostly don't really appreciate how good we actually have it.

I'm thankful I'm alive and healthy, that the sun is shining ... and that I have a job to pay for my toys ... and I wish the same for everyone else.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to love2drive2fast For This Useful Post:

Doran (07-19-2010), dsanchez (07-19-2010), sh33436 (07-19-2010), soberdan89 (07-19-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,889 Times in 6,042 Posts

I have removed or edited (infracted) at least 10 posts here, calm down boys.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to blkcadi For This Useful Post:

mortopher (07-19-2010)

There's one thing that really gets me! Pls explain guys, if your service with AT&T is so bad to the point that your phone is not reliable then why even bother with the iPhone?

Don't get me wrong I love my iPhone but if AT&T was so bad in my area I would just go with another company and get their next best smart phone rather than complain about it

no sympathy for AT&T. nobody forced them to buy into Apple's exclusivity agreement. they could have done what was best for their future consumers and selected a network with enough backbone to handle it all.

though I must say...to AT&T's credit, I've had very few service-related issues in my 3 years of iPhone ownership.

Quote Originally Posted by Truckinlow View Post
    still not sure why apple doesnt have the iphone available for all carriers. i would think the more iphones used by people the more apps sold, the more money he makes.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by dsanchez View Post
    There's one thing that really gets me! Pls explain guys, if your service with AT&T is so bad to the point that your phone is not reliable then why even bother with the iPhone?

Don't get me wrong I love my iPhone but if AT&T was so bad in my area I would just go with another company and get their next best smart phone rather than complain about it
    Not everyone can switch in a poof.
    We have 2 year contracts, ATT obviously makes us pay more, we work for our money and i don't want 600 dollars going into some crap phone.

Thanks

All this tells me is that people are still trying to stir up more shiz in the wake of "antennagate".

I think the reason why Steve Jobs never really opened the iPhone to all carriers was simple business strategy. If Steve Jobs opened the iPhone to all the Cell Carriers markets it would get satchurated and the demand for the iPhone wouldn't be as great as it is now. We have all witness the great demand for the i4 and reason for this is because it is not offered to all Cell Carriers. I think AT&T has done a great job handling the demands of the hungry iPhone and all their other Smartphone's that uses up the data network. Yes I had my times were everything wasn't perfect but that is all part of technology. AT&T may not hit 100% of perfect service but every time I had issues they took care of it. If you yell and scream of course your going to get bad service. This goes for any company not just AT&T. Our demeanor determines what type of service we receive. So when I hear that AT&T or who ever else has bad customer service I don't blame the companies but the one's who are complaining they received bad customer service. You have to remember and put yourself in their shoe. If some one is being rude you by nature will react in the same manner. But anyway I'll stick with AT&T and void all the hidden charges that Verizon charges to their customers. I have had friends that had Verizon and moved to AT&T and said they had much better service and didn't have to worry about the hidden charges. But Each Is Their Own. We all have our own preferences and choices.

Quote Originally Posted by klouud View Post
    I hope they do sever EXCLUSIVE ties with AT&T! If the iPhone was on multiple networks then everyone would win with more competitive pricing and data packages.
    EXACTLY! And better service because the stress on the networks is more equal.

Quote Originally Posted by Messany View Post

“We’re Apple. We don’t wear suits. We don’t even own suits.”

ZDnet

Wired
    That quote dates back to Apple's first days as a newly forged company.
    From the Fire We Shall Ascend

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

Here is one... When it comes to phones the consumer should be able to go to a store, buy a phone and then choose what carrier they wish to have. Oh and smart phones and high end phones should have GSM and CDMA built in. Call it a world phone... Thank god computers are not locked. Imagine if your computer was locked to a Internet service provider... Expecially if it was ATT (I'm hating on AT&T today because they jacked up my business contract for the 10th time). You could buy a computer with wireless N+ and exclusive to AT&T and you could get unlimited data but there network wouldn't support the built in camera. Then they would blame there slow speed on everyone who purchased a new computer. Then they would limit their data and charge you extra. Oh btw you would also have to buy a microwifi repeater if you wanted to use the internet inside because their service drops in the house. Lastly this exclusive package (dial-up mind you) costs $134 a month.
    PRICKS!!! Ok I'm done hating... At least until tomorrow when the ATT rep tells me to try and reset my server for the 100th time.
    Last edited by kuhndsn; 07-19-2010 at 09:08 PM.

I really don't see the issue with exclusivity. It's something that's been around forever and I don't see people up in arms for not being able to get an EVO or Droid X in AT&T.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Seriously AT&T is GOOD, not the best but, I never drop calls, Always have 3g .
    Idc if version gets it, Then version would dominate all of the Cell phone users and Every other company would lose All their customers.
    BLAH just let AT*T keep it :P

Maybe this is where the verizon rumors are coming from

The only reason I'd like to see the iPhone on other carriers is less congestion and price competition. I personally would probably stick with AT&T.

Quote Originally Posted by kuhndsn View Post
    Its ATT's fault... They bit off more than they can chew... Whooo look at us T-mobile, Verizon, Sprint, we got the iphone... But you cant do half the crap with it because we are still working out of our trailer home... We will just chock our iPhone customers charge them more and perhaps in five years we will update our system and stop lying about our coverage area....

Yes I have ATT. But it seems like as each day goes buy they get ruder and more expensive. Reminds me of the 1st golf war when they were the only kids on the block in Saudi and they were charging and ripping off military members... Hope I am wrong but looks like they will never change their business model...
    What !@!#!!. Are you being paid for this?
    "If you liked the post hit Thanks...If you hated it, thank me for stirring your personal anger"

^^ and he has pretty crappy spelling too

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NiteStar View Post
    “We’re Apple. We don’t wear suits. We don’t even own suits.” LOL
    That is pretty good. When I worked at intel it was the same way.

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by albrevng View Post
    What !@!#!!. Are you being paid for this?
    "If you liked the post hit Thanks...If you hated it, thank me for stirring your personal anger"
    It's a automatic plug much like a quote. And no I don't get paid and yes I'll give you my phone number so you can call and talk to me like a man instead of cursing on a post directly attacking me for all to read in an attempt to make yourself look like a bad ***. That was not needed and irrelevant to this thread. noob... If your going to comment like a child to everyone who has a quote or picture added then get a life.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

Ten bucks says Steve has one of these suits though........

Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast