+ Reply
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Samsung and HTC Respond to Apple's Antenna Allegations

is a discussion within the

iPhone News

forums, a part of the

General iPhone

section;
Last Friday, both Nokia and Research in Motion fired back at Apple in the immediate hours following Steve Jobs' press conference to mitigate the severity of the Death Grip, announce
    MMi Staff Writer Michael Essany's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 558 Posts

Default Samsung and HTC Respond to Apple's Antenna Allegations

Last Friday, both Nokia and Research in Motion fired back at Apple in the immediate hours following Steve Jobs' press conference to mitigate the severity of the Death Grip, announce a free case program, and generalize the iPhone 4's antenna issues to the smartphone industry as a whole. As expected, the mobile phone makers that Apple called out did not respond favorably to the sweeping allegations made to the entire world.

And today, both HTC and Samsung have responded to claims that their products have similar if not worse antenna and reception problems. The Wall Street Journal is where HTC turned to get their message across to everyone: poor reception and dropped calls due to improperly holding a phone aren't as widespread and universal as Apple made them appear to be. Hui-Meng Cheng, the company's CFO, said that "the reception problems are certainly not common among smartphones." Adding that Apple should correct its design flaws and leave competitors out of the argument, Cheng concluded that Apple "apparently didn't give operators enough time to test the phone."

It should be noted, however, that Daring Fireball responded to HTC's statement Monday by reference a portion of HTC's instruction manual for the Droid Eris which clearly states (and punctuates with a photo) that the device shouldn't be touched or held over the part of the device where the antenna is housed. From the manual: "Avoiding contact with the antenna area when the phone is IN USE optimizes the antenna performance and the battery life."

Samsung, meanwhile, also has a stake in this fight as Apple called out the Omnia II and pointed to analogous reception bugs. Samsung, however, wanted to make it clear in a statement today that the company simply "hasn't received significant customer feedback on any signal reduction issue for the Omnia II." The terse response from Samsung followed Apple's hands-on demonstration of the similarly "flawed" Omnia II last week.

Apple, which has sold in excess of three million iPhone 4s since last month, will distribute free cases to every iPhone 4 customer through Sept. 30 - a move that Apple is obviously hoping will put the "Death Grip" issue to rest once and for all.

Wall Street Journal
    Daring Fireball

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Michael Essany For This Useful Post:

Chubbz (07-19-2010), reaves205 (07-19-2010)

iPhone? More like MyPhone mmurphmsu's Avatar
    Thanks

Apple should have never brought other competitors products into the conference and just focused on theirs. They need to fix their problems before bashing others.
    Last edited by mmurphmsu; 07-19-2010 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Please hit "Thanks!" if I helped you.

4. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to mmurphmsu For This Useful Post:

Beastlee (07-19-2010), DaMan05 (07-19-2010), iphone925 (07-19-2010), iZoom (07-19-2010), KidPoetic (07-20-2010), leathelisor (07-25-2010), maxgsteinberg (07-19-2010), mosesh (07-19-2010), Ozzy82335 (07-19-2010), redwolf (07-20-2010), sh33436 (07-19-2010), sk8ertim (07-19-2010), suomu (07-19-2010), Voodoo1 (07-19-2010), xhenryrx (07-19-2010)

Thanks

Oh man! This just keeps getting better!

Green Apple
    Thanks

It's about time Apple stopped playing BS and assumed a more radical solution to the antenna issue; in the process innocent companies get blamed. "All phones do this" BS. All my other phones AND iPhones, despite MAYBE dropping in signal strength, have never shown signal drops as dramatic as the iPhone 4's.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ruslan120 For This Useful Post:

BennyPR (07-22-2010), redwolf (07-20-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me tudtran's Avatar
    Thanks

Dirty moved by Steve. iPhone clearly have a problem. Doesn't need to do that. Or maybe is some kind of business strategy.

Thanks

Apple's right, it is widespread. My phone came with a list of ways to hold it

10. The Following User Says Thank You to whereswaldo For This Useful Post:

liq456 (07-19-2010)

Thanks

Problem everyone fails to see is that Apple's external antenna design was radical and new - any moron could see it might be prone to conductivity or attenuation issues, moreso than competitors' phones.

Apple is giving away free bumpers now, and people are still complaining. What if this had happened in a different order? What if iPhone 4 came with bumpers, and only the idiots that took them off were having issues? No complaints then, right? So what's the issue now?

I do agree Jobs is an idiot for riling up the competition. Wasting time testing others' phones that clearly work fine. It's not hard to see what caused the problem here.
    Anybody want a 32GB Mint Condition Black JB Unlocked 3GS? PM me with offers.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to reanimationxp For This Useful Post:

BennyPR (07-22-2010)

Thanks

I personally hate the way Apple markets everything. They definitely shouldn't have bashed Nokia, Nokia has been creating phones for years and are definitely far more innovative than Apple, as nice as a touch screen and games are.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to awesomeo4000 For This Useful Post:

BennyPR (07-22-2010), flippy (07-22-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Thats just wrong Steve Jobs just doesn't want to be the only one with a problem.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to verse For This Useful Post:

BennyPR (07-22-2010)

My iPhone is a Part of Me kuhndsn's Avatar
    Thanks

Funny to watch this fight. Point of the matter is that they do have signal loss... Funny how the words get twisted... Perhaps if Apple would have shown pictures of where not to touch or a sticker like is on my Nokia. Than this would have not been a huge issue... BTW My HTC Touch has some huge signal loss. Never use the darn thing but I tried it and crap!!! Perhaps because I had it charging next to my iPhone and it got infected with the death grip plague...

OMG CAN WE JUST MOVE ON ALREADY? I can see the future headlines now... Mars space station is complete and the first colony of people are on their way... iPhone 9000GTI is for sale on Apple virtual store for $10K with a 2 yrs ATT Universe contract. Rumors of the iPhone 9000GTI being available at Verizon's outdated CDMA system Fall 2109? Law suits and anger from people that keep buying and still haven't returned their great grandparents 100 yr old iPhone 4 are still showing up on the blogs.
    Last edited by kuhndsn; 07-19-2010 at 09:32 AM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to kuhndsn For This Useful Post:

7th_s!Gn (07-23-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    LOL. Throw everyone else under the bus Steve!!! Love apple, but that is d-bag move. Fix your product is all we ask

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to otisg For This Useful Post:

BennyPR (07-22-2010), redwolf (07-20-2010)

Thanks

I agree that it's lame that Apple dragged these other guys into it.
    But, if it's true... And it affects people... Then Oddly, Apple has provided a valuable public service in alerting the consumer.

HOWEVER, I actually have an iPhone 4 and use it daily, and have never had any reception problem... other than being out of range of AT&T service area.

So, In my personal experience, the antenna degradation is a non-issue. And I suspect in the same way it is a non-issue for users of any of the phones Jobs paraded across the stage.

So now it's just a PR battle. So far Apple's not looking to good. We'll see if any of these others can deal more elegantly now that there are some eyes looking at them.
    - CTRobins
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    When it comes to Humility.... I am the greatest!
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

My iPhone is a Part of Me zinjen's Avatar
    Thanks

I don't understand why any of this matters? HTC/Samsung/Motorola can all respond to these claims but Apple is still not going to recall anything. Waste of time.
    Don't forget to hit the thanks button if you liked what I said or did

iPhone? More like MyPhone GranDaddyPurp's Avatar
    Thanks

oh this is just getting better and better. I wonder what Steve must be thinking...
    I Take Three L's To The Head...Love, Live, Life then I'm Dead

iPhone? More like MyPhone Bluprint's Avatar
    Thanks

@ apple

so relaxing to no longer own a iPhone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

You just don't get it do you? yes the design is radical and beautiful, that's why it appeal to most people. Although, it has flaw therefore need to fix it. If it was originally has a bumper than I doubt that many people even look at it. you might as well put it in your ziplock bag. For me I like the look and feel of it as well as functionalities, but to cover it which add some thickness to it, doesnt look as appealing. That's why Steve design the thinnest smartphone on the market. Well that doesn't hold true anymore with the bumper or should I said BUMMER

Quote Originally Posted by reanimationxp View Post
    Problem everyone fails to see is that Apple's external antenna design was radical and new - any moron could see it might be prone to conductivity or attenuation issues, moreso than competitors' phones.

Apple is giving away free bumpers now, and people are still complaining. What if this had happened in a different order? What if iPhone 4 came with bumpers, and only the idiots that took them off were having issues? No complaints then, right? So what's the issue now?

I do agree Jobs is an idiot for riling up the competition. Wasting time testing others' phones that clearly work fine. It's not hard to see what caused the problem here.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

@everyone
    yall making a huge deal. i have no problem with mine.

dsg
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,474 Times in 610 Posts

Appl£ needs to man up take it on the chin and fix the problem, bringing other companies into the firing line will just open doors for court battles

Thanks

Talking What if this had happened in a different order?
    Quote Originally Posted by reanimationxp View Post

More people need to read this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Formerly Known As rpgpromaster EddieLeonard's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mmurphmsu View Post
    Apple should have never brought other competitors products into the conference and just focused on theirs. They need to fix their problems before bashing others.
    No, They should have, Every phone looses signal when a hand is placed over a antenna and the reason why I think that "everyone" has complained about the "death grip" is because apple have sold over 3M iPhone 4s and most cellphone companys don't sell half that many on one type/model of a phone.
    And because apple over the past few years have grown massive in such a shot time have gained the reputation of the iPhones being very good and everyone wanting them as soon as they are released. That will causes problems like thousands of people complaining that they have a problem.
    But a thousand is a very large number of people, But what people don't understand is 1000 out of 3 million is actually very small. so even if 1 thousand people complain, to other companys they is like "wow there must be something terribly wrong with there phone if that many people are complaining" but in fact out of the 3 mill people only a few thousand complain.... common guys, that's a low number in comparison to the total units sold isn't it, just stop complaining, apple are trying to do a fix and if that fix doesn't work then they will re-evaluate and maybe add a material over the antenna, change the design or the free case might solve the issue.

Im not saying the iPhone 4 doesn't have any problems because it does but so does other companys phones, they are just annoyed that apple have announced that there phones have a problem as well, they could have given out free cases also but, oh no they couldn't do that now could they, they need all the time they can get to write a meaningless response to apple. (btw I am not a apple fan boy :P)

Ok rant over, sorry if I didn't make my self clear in that. (I got a bit confused while typing it )
    Last edited by EddieLeonard; 07-19-2010 at 10:02 AM.
    Follow me on Twitter: EddieLeonard - - - - - - - -If i have helped in anyway at all, Please click the "Thanks!" button
    Stalk me on FaceBook: Eddie Leonard

30. The Following User Says Thank You to EddieLeonard For This Useful Post:

eg6motion (07-19-2010)

+ Reply
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast