Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4 Activation Without Original SIM Card

iPhone? More like MyPhone l-awstraljan's Avatar
    Thanks

Im on a 3GS 4.0.1 new bootrom. Inserted DITS simcard and was was able to "slide to unlock" and i get this message .waiting for activation this may take some time'

any idea how long it takes? I thought it was already activated since i can 'slide to unlock' but obviously not coz one i insert my vodafone sim into the iphone i go back to emergency screen. once i pop the dits card back in i can slide to unlock but again if i insert vodafone sim card i go back into emergency lock screen.

How do I know when my iphone is successfully activated? how long will it take?

Default Solution!!!!!!!!!
    xxx
    Last edited by iphoneuser7; 08-07-2010 at 03:27 PM.

Thanks

BETTER SOLUTION

Been looking all day, tried it, and WORKED! And is VERY VERY EASY.

How To Fix “Different SIM Detected” After iPhone Jailbreak | The iPhone and iPad Blog by Simon

just follow the tutorial and ta-daaa, no more sim not detected after DITS activation =)

Quote Originally Posted by l-awstraljan View Post
    BETTER SOLUTION

Been looking all day, tried it, and WORKED! And is VERY VERY EASY.

How To Fix “Different SIM Detected” After iPhone Jailbreak | The iPhone and iPad Blog by Simon

just follow the tutorial and ta-daaa, no more sim not detected after DITS activation =)
    That don´t work for people who bought iPhone 4 from someone who used the upgrade program.

Thanks

It worked on my 3Gs, dunno about i4's

Quote Originally Posted by treesrgreen View Post
    I have just looked in our ATT account - and the contract has been extended on the ATT phone line that I received the (as yet unactivated) iPhone on. Also, it shows that that line is no longer eligible for an upgrade.

So it seems that agreeing to the ATT 2yr contract extension is implicit in ordering the phone at an upgrade price - even through Apple.com.... In other words the "someone would has to agree to the 2yr contract" is by default the person who ordered the phone.
    Wow, very strange - then there's no logical reason for Apple to refuse to activate the phone then

I have a Iphone 4. I'm not able to use this Iphone 4 due to lock problem. I have a original sim crad also but I'm not abvle to open the lock. I think this video help me to unlock the Iphone. Thanks for sharing post. I appreciate your guideline.
    Last edited by elizabethtusaad; 08-10-2010 at 06:32 AM.
    no spam...only warning

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

This hacktivate is for 3G, 3GS, & iPhone 4 only.

Try this on iPhone 2G 3.1.3 & iTune 9.2.1.5, not working.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikemann888 View Post
    This hacktivate is for 3G, 3GS, & iPhone 4 only.

Try this on iPhone 2G 3.1.3 & iTune 9.2.1.5, not working.
    This thread is iPhone 4 specific.... Try redsn0w for the iPhone 2G.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rlsolomon View Post
    This thread is iPhone 4 specific.... Try redsn0w for the iPhone 2G.
    Thanks.... Just wanted to try to see if it works with 2G or not.

I've done jb/unlocked my 2G with redsn0w 094 already.

Quote Originally Posted by alimehanti View Post
    Because it's under someone elses account and not my friends account....Maybe I am not explaining this right....When I put the iphone 4 with Itunes...it recognizes the phone number for i.e. 630-222-4343 and asks me to enter last four digits and billing zip code...I don't know this information since I got this from ebay...so what I did is I took my friend's sim card who had the iphone 4 with at&t and put it in my phone and I get message with the SAME PHONE NUMBER OF THE FIRST SIM CARD I PUT IN......630-222-4343...even with his sim...and its asking me to put the last four and billing zip code...I don't have that information.....i dont know what to do....please help
    To all Iphone 4 owners that are stuck on the SSN & Zip Code Screen, there are NO SOLUTION to bypass and activate your phone!!! NO phonebook sim card, DITS, a friend's active IP4 sim, DFU, or any other solutions would work. Don't waste your time & more $$.

Your phone is locked to the original owner's account who likely got the IP4 at a discount and therefore extending the contract, but has not fulfill his/her end of the commitment to the carrier (AT&T) by activating the IP4 with their 4 digits SSN & Zip Code.

The only way to activate is to get the original owner's info or return for another phone. BTW, should you're able to get the original owner's info to activate, let the original owner know that he/she needs to get another sim card for the current phone they're using because it will be disconnected.

Sorry to say, but I was on the same boat and had to find out the hard way after many hours of talking to Apple and AT&T. I'm in the US and was able to resolve my problems by returning the phone. Good luck

12. The Following User Says Thank You to sac916 For This Useful Post:

area51crypto (08-12-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by sac916 View Post
    Your phone is locked to the original owner's account who likely got the IP4 at a discount and therefore extending the contract, but has not fulfill his/her end of the commitment to the carrier (AT&T) by activating the IP4 with their 4 digits SSN & Zip Code.
    ...it's also possible that you've purchased a stolen phone - which is known to have happened as well

It seems everyone has different experience with activating the iPhone4....

mine was pretty straight forward. I am in the US, I extended my contract with AT&T and got the iPhone4 at $199 price.

I received the phone in the mail (ordered from AT&T), and AT&T provided instruction on activating the phone & new SIM card. I was still using my 3GS at that time(needed to use mywi)

I didn't use the iphone4 right away, but I turned it on anyways just to check it out, got the "connect to itunes" screen so i plugged it in, a few seconds later it says "iPhone activated". It did NOT ask me for my SSN/Zip.

So I did nothing and the phone was activated. the SIM card was not activated at that time, i was still using my 3GS.

to activate the SIM, there's a web page on ATT's website you go to, where you input your SIM # and Order#.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by treesrgreen View Post
    Hi
    I am on the other side of this problem - and am looking for the best way to find a solution... Can anyone help?

I sold on Ebay, a sealed, unactivated iPhone 4, that I purchased at the Apple Online Store as upgrade. I am still using a 3GS on that line (and keeping the contract etc.). I just found out today that the person who bought the iphone 4 from me is having the above mentioned problem - and I want to help him.

One suggestion is that I use a remote access (logmein) for me to access the itunes on his computer - and enter my details. The host screen (his screen) would be blacked out. I still haven't fully read up on the security of this - but I do have a different concern.

If I activate the iphone 4 for him - does that mean that he will have any iphone with an active SIM for a phone line on my account? Does that also mean that the SIM in 3GS that I am am using will no longer work?

Does anyone have an idea for a better solution?

UPDATE - I realized that I can just turn off international activity on the phone line - so I won't be vulnerable while he has possession of my phone line. The reactivation of the 3GS I guess is just a necessary inconvenience....

You should be an example for all those who sell unactivated iphones 4.

1st. The number is assigned to the iPhone serial and the only thing the activation does is just to "Activate" the iPhone

2nd. It has nothing to do with your sim card, phone line, contract, extra charges or anything, this is just the "OK" for itunes to bond the root file directory to start working with the rest of the phone, if not the files are very few and useless, so all the activation does is to link the rest of the files that are stored in some kind of a hidden partition in the iPhone 4.

3rd. Since the phone number is linked to only ONE and just ONE iPhone 4, this means that your valuable information is just for that goal and is only useful just to this person you sold the device.

4th. The iPhone you sold is the only thing your customer has from you, he doesnt have your phone line, he has a phone registered to your number, but is useless without the rest of the info. So don't worry about your phone line, tha sim card you have will be the one that keeps working, the other sim card is now disabled and he also could activate his new iPhone 4 with any ATT sim card, the thing is that even though the phone number is linked to his iPhone and only the correct info will do the job.

5th. As a personal thought I believe theres nothing someone can do with your last 4 digits of your ssn and your zipcode, really the most someone could do with this info is just to start enjoying a wonderful device, a peace of technology that you helped someone to get, now just finish the job and help him to start using the world's most advanced smart phone, the iPhone 4.

I live in a country that crime is so high and arround 20 people gets robed daily, in some cases thieves just kill to get a stupid smartphone or less, and some of us, even knowing the news, we decide to hide the phones in secret compartments in the cars and carry some cheap phone just to give in case of robbery, so whats the point of having our lives to be risked just for a phone that is not even activated...

Please share your info, is not for the world is confidential and is part of your job,
    Last edited by mosca; 08-12-2010 at 04:55 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

16. The Following User Says Thank You to mosca For This Useful Post:

area51crypto (08-12-2010)

Default iPhone 4 issues
    I've had several issues requiring me to get new phones... all hardware

Long story short, does a jailbroken iPhone 4 need a special step to restore/DFU mode restore?

If this is the wrong thread I apologize, but with 3 different phones I have ended up at the activation screen on the phone that says slide for emergency and won't let you do anything... like it's carrier locked. Itunes comes up with the message that it is an unsupported sim even though I am on at&t and in the U.S.

Should I just be reading harder? What's the deal?

Quote Originally Posted by mosca View Post
    You should be an example for all those who sell unactivated iphones 4.

1st. The number is assigned to the iPhone serial and the only thing the activation does is just to "Activate" the iPhone

2nd. It has nothing to do with your sim card, phone line, contract, extra charges or anything, this is just the "OK" for itunes to bond the root file directory to start working with the rest of the phone, if not the files are very few and useless, so all the activation does is to link the rest of the files that are stored in some kind of a hidden partition in the iPhone 4.

3rd. Since the phone number is linked to only ONE and just ONE iPhone 4, this means that your valuable information is just for that goal and is only useful just to this person you sold the device.

4th. The iPhone you sold is the only thing your customer has from you, he doesnt have your phone line, he has a phone registered to your number, but is useless without the rest of the info. So don't worry about your phone line, tha sim card you have will be the one that keeps working, the other sim card is now disabled and he also could activate his new iPhone 4 with any ATT sim card, the thing is that even though the phone number is linked to his iPhone and only the correct info will do the job.

5th. As a personal thought I believe theres nothing someone can do with your last 4 digits of your ssn and your zipcode, really the most someone could do with this info is just to start enjoying a wonderful device, a peace of technology that you helped someone to get, now just finish the job and help him to start using the world's most advanced smart phone, the iPhone 4.

I live in a country that crime is so high and arround 20 people gets robed daily, in some cases thieves just kill to get a stupid smartphone or less, and some of us, even knowing the news, we decide to hide the phones in secret compartments in the cars and carry some cheap phone just to give in case of robbery, so whats the point of having our lives to be risked just for a phone that is not even activated...

Please share your info, is not for the world is confidential and is part of your job,

I applaud your clarification on that matter, some previous owners have reluctant to provide such info in fear the new owner will someone how hack into their personal life and commit an identity theft.

Yet they forget they sold the iPhone for more than 700$ to a new owner who committed to pay on time for the transaction, under the assumption it will only require a jailbreak to activate the phone, nothing more.
    Last edited by dpanet; 08-12-2010 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dpanet View Post
    I applaud your clarification on that matter, some previous owners have reluctant to provide such info in fear the new owner will someone how hack into their personal life and commit an identity theft.
    I believe mosca is stating his belief, not his firsthand knowledge. From my firsthand knowledge, the act of "Activating" the iPhone4 causes AT&T to OTA de-activate the existing SIM on the line and OTA provision the "new" micro-SIM. As I mentioned before I don't know for sure when those pieces happen - particularly for phones which are NOT on an AT&T network at the moment of activation. Given that disconnect, I'd personally take his other points with some caution. Make your own decisions of course.

OK an update... It isn't going to help anymore - but hopefully it will add to the knowledge pool.

Recall: I sold an unactivated iPhone 4 received from Apple.com. My husband freaked about doing the activation doing the logme - I don't think that he was being logical - but dpanet you've got to realize that SSN are sacred in the US. He would have terminated the transaction before giving that information out.

So, the worse case scenario was that buyer was going to return the phone, and I would activate it and return it - but he somehow managed to get it activated... He paid to do so - and so has no way of know what the guy did - but it worked.... so hold out hope!

But - what happened is what I anticipated (which contradicts what mosca has said above) - namely that the old phone my husband was using stopped working - and the buyer of the phone had an active line on my account. I called ATT to turn off the iPhone 4 line - and then had to go in and get a new SIM to reactivate the old phone. Now the buyer is obviously honest and so there were no bad consequences - but if you recall the enormous phone bills from roaming charges when the iphone first came out - having a active SIM in an overseas stranger's hands is not a good thing. [If Apple had implemented this new system to combat theft - when the activation hack gets out - which it will - then they will have a double whammy - stolen phone - and potentially enormous phone bills from internationally roaming phones!]

So people selling unactivated iPhones should make sure that all international activity is turned off on their phone line - until the iPhone 4 has been activated.

Now - another thing that I was going to try - but the buyer got there first so I never got a chance to see if it would work - is I asked AT&T to change the security code on the account - so that instead of the SSN - there is now a security code of my choosing - that I could change at a later date. The magic phrase seemed to be that my husband didn't like the fact that his ex-gf knew his SSN and so had access to his AT&T account. Like I said, I don't know whether it would work or not - but my husband got another iPhone activated on his account - which he did at the AT&T store - and he said that he was asked for this new security code - but not his SSN.

Of course, because he was in the store - and the AT&T staff had access to his account - they may have just entered it in themselves from information on his account... but it is worth a try!

Hope this adds to the pool of knowledge - and sincere apologies to those who are waiting for their iPhone to be activated - that I could not provide a solution. I hope it is of some consolation that there is one out there...
    Last edited by treesrgreen; 08-13-2010 at 01:49 AM.

ok i just joined to say what other people were saying all along. i just picked up a dead att sim card i had laying in my drawer , cut that sucka down to size and activated it. this was on an iphone 4 that i had bought from someone else. with 4.0.1 firmware.

iPhone? More like MyPhone SAVAGE5's Avatar
    Thanks

Can I activate a i4 off ebay with this problem if I have AT&T and iPhone data plan?
    i5-

Long time reader. I don't care if you have 1 million post.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast